Wasn’t planning on entering this GB, but saw the review of the 1/48 Airfix release of the Folland Gnat which contains marking option of an aircraft in the colours of the Yellowjacks.

Formed in 1963, the Yellowjacks were an RAF aerobatic display team by a group of flying instructors from No.4 Flying Training School. Leading to what we snow know as the Red Arrows in 1965.

I thought the gloss yellow scheme with black tail would look good on a hawk. So here I am. Kit was ordered from Jadlam on Saturday.

Something to look forward to as we go back into lockdown.

• Like 7

A bit more progress. Cockpit finished.

spacer.png

An hour later, the bulk of the fuselage has been assembled. Decided to display this in flight so found a old display stand and pilot from the spares box. The pilot needs a little surgery before he can fit into the cockpit. The back seat will be left empty.

spacer.png

• Like 6

Made a bit of progress, seemed a bit one step forward, two steps back.

The front windscreen in the kit appears deformed, looked at my second kit and it seems to have the same issue.

(Ignore the pebble dashed seat, i have since tidied that up)

spacer.png

Was a bit lost on what to do next, in the end went with some putty to try an blend it in, hopefully won't be too noticeable when finished.

Also raided the spares box to find daring aviator to pilot this hawk, attired in a fetching yellow flightsuit.

spacer.png 

Just the canopy to fix in place then this weekend I will hit it with some pink primer.

• Like 4

Primed in pink, using Ultimate Modelling Products pink primer, before spraying yellow. (forgot to take a picture of her in pink). Used Humbrol's rattlecan for the yellow. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

I am happy with the way the yellow came out, which is good as I have a CL-215 to paint yellow in the Heller GB.

Will give it 24hrs before masking the tail and painting it gloss black. Currently undecided on whether to leave the rudder yellow.

Need to dig through my decal spares, somehow managed to ruin the kit decals, they got wet somehow.

• Like 6