Spitfire 19 Squadron 70th Anniversary...

Hey all...my kits should arrive this week or the next, I hope.  I will use the decals from Italeri's Hawk kit on the Revell for the Spitfire 70th Anniversary from 19 Squadron.  Should be a nice combo.

50553669336_06097547f3_c_d.jpg

50552936663_0684f2ccd0_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 5

John, I'm following the same path as you just about.  One thing I have spotted is that the real Hawk appears to have a silver/aluminium underside rather than the Light Grey that Italeri suggest.

Cheers

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Andy G said:

the real Hawk appears to have a silver/aluminium underside

Aha!  Many thanks Andy.  

Shame they couldn't have put some Sky Type S in there somewhere...fuselage band or something, a bit on the nose perhaps...

8 minutes ago, John Masters said:

Aha!  Many thanks Andy.  

Shame they couldn't have put some Sky Type S in there somewhere...fuselage band or something, a bit on the nose perhaps...

Nothing stopping you adding it. 70th Anniversary Scheme John style. 

May I add, 

Its part of the scheme to have the belly gun pod fitted.

19 squadron were not only the first to fly the Mk. I Spitfire but they were the first to fly a cannon armed one, the Mk. Ib which they commemorate by having the belly gun on this scheme

Many modellers miss that point,

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Nothing stopping you adding it.

Ooooo....really?  Can I add the fuselage stripe and the nose?  Not so much a 'What if' but rather a 'What-they-should-have-done-in-the-first-place!"

1 minute ago, Black Knight said:

Many modellers miss that point,

Thanks!  I didn't know that.

1 hour ago, John Masters said:

Ooooo....really?  Can I add the fuselage stripe and the nose?  Not so much a 'What if' but rather a 'What-they-should-have-done-in-the-first-place!"

Absolutely,

That’s you sorted then John, gun pack armed Sky stripped Hawk. 

• 5 weeks later...

I am still waiting for the other kit to arrive.  The auction seller in the Netherlands, unknown to me, just sent the Italeri kit last week even though I ordered it over a month ago.

I don't know If I'll get around to making this GB fellows...😞

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, John Masters said:

I am still waiting for the other kit to arrive.  The auction seller in the Netherlands, unknown to me, just sent the Italeri kit last week even though I ordered it over a month ago.

I don't know If I'll get around to making this GB fellows...😞

Well that's annoying with the GB ending in two weeks. 

My decals, aka Italeri Hawk kit, are here!  They are in Pireaus waiting to be shipped to the island.  I should have them by next Wednesday.

50678259531_e05688fa77_c_d.jpg

Of course, the kit was purchased at the very end of October.  Hmmm....

--John

And away I go...

The sprue...just like all the rest!

50678662037_959ce6b8c6_c_d.jpg

The plans.  I would like to get through the second page before I go to bed tonight.  Maybe I will.  I won't forget to drill the holes for the gun pack!

50678662022_fd3d8e48f6_k_d.jpg

50678661992_ec0f60d824_k_d.jpg

--John

OK.  Nice looking cockpit components...

50679258077_36c8f80694_c_d.jpg

While these set up, I'll take care of the fuselage half and the exhaust nozzle.

50679174931_4d873485fa_c_d.jpg

50678423938_37d0f41932_c_d.jpg

The nozzle is an interesting step-by-step construction.  Gave it all some aluminum.

50679174776_243f2ee743_c_d.jpg

Looking ahead, I am confused.  Why do I need decal solvent here?

50679174751_2eb987aeb1_c_d.jpg

--John

1 hour ago, John Masters said:

Looking ahead, I am confused.  Why do I need decal solvent here?

You don't, it's a hangover from the Red Arrows scheme which has a section of cheatline inside the intake (dotted line on drawing), this is a decal applied at this stage in that boxing but not required in this one.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

You don't, it's a hangover

Thanks Dave.  I didn't think so either.  Just checking with the gods of modelling.  

I progress.  This is not a difficult kit with decent fitting and alignment and, from what I have seen, will build up to be a neat little bird.  

The cockpit...

50678803598_12bf47107a_c_d.jpg

and again...

50679555651_a36c48ebfd_c_d.jpg

While that is drying I went ahead and assembled the wing, drilled holes, etc...I do notice on this kit a large amount of heavy sprue connections.  They required a gentle sharp knife to detach them rather than a pair of snips.

50679555571_680815ab00_c_d.jpg

This is where I was about 30 minutes ago.  I have assembled the air intakes; the wing; the fuselage half with the cockpit.  

50679635147_28ec9cdd0e_c_d.jpg

And then I went ahead and assembled the fuselage halves.  There are a few smaller pieces I must add to the fuselage but at this point I have completed the first two pages of the instructions.  This would be a good kit for a Blitz Build GB, btw...easily completed over a weekend.  Also, nary a gap in the fuselage.  Nice and neat.  

50679635077_73d11dde8e_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 3

Little gaps, little gaps everywhere.  Small enough that many modellers could ignore them.  Me, not so much.  Out comes the PPP!

50681997787_9374bd6270_z_d.jpg

50681997772_2330dec774_z_d.jpg

50681997762_211d6c0f75_o_d.jpg

And when I snapped the wing into place, a gap widened a smidgen and some more small gaps were revealed.  Easily fixed.  No stress.  It's Saturday morning.

50681924236_6694f57e81_z_d.jpg

Now the wing roots...gaps so narrow as to ignore, but I probably won't.

50681164258_2a0957a65b_o_d.jpg

50681997727_e72c040bef_z_d.jpg

--John

In looking at the 19 Squadron Spitfire, I see that Sky Type S was not used on these aircraft, so I won't 'Whatif it' on the Hawk.  Still, what colour were their spinners?  Looks dark...maybe dark red or blue even?  Maybe black? I might have to give the Hawk's nose a bit of colour if that is the case...

The Hawk replicates the first 19 squadron Spitfire colours of Dark Earth & Dark Green disruptive camouflage over an all Aluminium (painted) under surfaces colour. The spinner on the Spitfire was black

2 hours ago, Black Knight said:

all Aluminium (painted) under surfaces colour. The spinner on the Spitfire was black

Thanks Black Knight.  I'll be adding the black nose to the Hawk, just for fun and to annoy those who find it less than amusing.  😁😉  It's all in good fun!

This inspires me to build a 19 Sq. Spitfire next, for another GB currently underway.  They were Mk. I, correct?

• Like 1

Yes, Mk.I

Airfix actually boxed a 1/72 Mk.I kit with 1938-ish 19 squadron decals.

Its the A02010 Supermarine Spitfire Mk.I/IIa kit with WZ-T on the box artwork

But the scheme is different.