DHC-6 (1/72)

Superb!  Please explain your window-making process again.  On which side of the window opening did you place the scotch tape?  From the inside or the outside? Did you cut the tape to precisely fit the window openings?  What's the function of the Future?  To harden them?  Thanks.

On 04/11/2020 at 22:04, Moa said:

Hum...

do I see a restroom in the future?

Claudio, you and your flying restrooms! You should do a book on aerial facilities. Chris - great work on the Twin Otter! I used to have this kit longer ago than I care to remember, but who knows what happened to it. It may well be time to buy another and get those Aerocraft AM goodies to go with it. Now which paint scheme do I go with?...

Regards,

Jason

P.S. I live near San Antonio, and although cloudy, it was about 80 F today. And yes, Fall was long ago abolished in Texas, leaving us with only two seasons - Summer and Winter (three or four weeks of it). Spring is just an ancient myth to us, repeated in hushed and disbelieving voices.

P.P.S. Other Chris, I haven't forgotten about our Beaufighter Mk.21, and just as soon as I get over my current bout of Spitfire-itis (a recurrent and chronic ailment), I shall retrieve it from my closet for a good working on.

Edited by Learstang
Additional comment added.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Superb!  Please explain your window-making process again.  On which side of the window opening did you place the scotch tape?  From the inside or the outside? Did you cut the tape to precisely fit the window openings?  What's the function of the Future?  To harden them?  Thanks.

Thanks!

I use a kit clear part or scriber guide if possible to cut the tape to size. The tape goes on the outside of the model and I burnish it down once placed with a wood stir stick. I use the backing sheet for Bare Metal Foil to lay the tape on to cut, the tape comes off the foil backing cleanly and easily with no marks or lines. I add the Future (if and where I can) only to seal in the sticky side of the tape so it doesnt collect dust and crud....clear?...as tape??😄

The model finds itself up on floats at the end of work tonight.

fiddling with the fit of the struts etc. continues:

EyapgQO.jpg

62zlZGa.jpg

YYpyqbP.jpg

Thanks for looking

• Like 9

It looks great!  I may use your tape technique on another project, as it sounds like it would result in consistently clear, thin windows.  

How is the fit of the kit's clear windows?  Are they wonky?  I was able to add the windows to the Matchbox Skyservant after assembly/painting, and the fit was nice and tight.

Alex

2 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

It looks great!  I may use your tape technique on another project, as it sounds like it would result in consistently clear, thin windows.  

How is the fit of the kit's clear windows?  Are they wonky?  I was able to add the windows to the Matchbox Skyservant after assembly/painting, and the fit was nice and tight.

Alex

The kit’s windows fit is good, no trouble with the fit at all they’re just thick and the newer parts (Revell?) have sink marks in the centers of them.

Hi all

Calling the twin Otter completed, I dropped the ball with the decals in the end with them being the wrong font, color, out of register and not settling in place (I tried 3 different decal solvents, finally settling on Mr Mark Setter) Ok, the font and color were my fault because I didn't have the right decals and didn't notice till too late. 

0tFAduS.jpg

VGswra9.jpg

2smm28E.jpg

6Xo3wyU.jpg

Thank you for looking

and to all those who offered suggestions and help along the way!

• Like 6

Nice result in the end Chris, I have an Otter kit (maybe 2) hiding in the stash. I'll have to apply some of your fixes to it when the time comes.

Still confused about your tape/future technique but will give it a go as well.

:thumbsup:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Nice result in the end Chris, I have an Otter kit (maybe 2) hiding in the stash. I'll have to apply some of your fixes to it when the time comes.

Still confused about your tape/future technique but will give it a go as well.

:thumbsup:

Thanks a lot! 

The tape method was far easier than making "panoramic windows" for my turbo single Otter projects (since you mentioned "Otter") I wondered if you would like to see them (2 of 3) in 1/48 conversions of the old Hobbycraf Canada kits;

this is all done with paint by the way, no decals...well, OK. a couple of decals ..the registrations.

EawL1Rt.jpg

F9HSMFN.jpg

Thanks for looking

Edited by chrispisme
typo
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Wow--stunning results on this one, and the other single Otters as well!  You must really like this aircraft...or something!  Great job.

Thanks!

like Moa...but not as good, I like a lot civil aviation stuff, possibly because of the great range of color schemes...? 
I’ll have to try building something with a lav. In it now I guess...😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I actually meant Twin Otter, but also have Otter kits :D of which yours look great! You are a master of masking Chris.

I have a DHC-8 which has a large SAR window that I can try this on as well, thanks for letting us follow along.

18 minutes ago, Scooby said:

Beautiful build, still dumbfounded over how you added the windows at the end, I’d need a video to understand.

Thanks 

I’ll most likely do the same thing with the current build (ATR) and try to remember to take pics as I go, in case you (or anyone) may want to try it

• Thanks 1