DHC-6 (1/72)

Thanks!

A bit more tinkering done today, this is where I'm at at the end of the day.

Quilting added to the flight deck;

vR5LMRQ.jpg

seats all built painted and glued in;

Mu6IvVt.jpg

U2WOO0q.jpg

B1mExLI.jpg

next step is closing up the fuselage halves I hope...

Thanks for looking

• Like 6

Your interior work is first-rate on this model!  Windows should be sufficiently transparent for you to appreciate all the work put into it.

I am really contemplating purchasing the after-market forward fuselage and horizontal stabs from the outfit named earlier.

30 minutes ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Your interior work is first-rate on this model!  Windows should be sufficiently transparent for you to appreciate all the work put into it.

I am really contemplating purchasing the after-market forward fuselage and horizontal stabs from the outfit named earlier.

Thanks

I agree, the resin part looks like a real improvement on the kit...about time this kit got some loving!

Now we need a new tool in 1/48...or even 1/35 (I'd suggest 1/32 but this aircraft lends itself nicely to the military and military figures) 

I'd buy at least 6 of them (if decently accurate and with floats) in 1/48 for sure!

I'm hoping to use acetate for the windows

• Like 2

like I thought...it took me a few tries to get a windshield fitted into the model but, now that I have and I'm fairly happy with the fit and the master, maybe I can use it to make a better one even...?

lM4FFe2.jpg

4DROPHZ.jpg

the rest of the openings filled with PVA, I'll clean up when it dries and be able to begin priming the model.

a5vTyoj.jpg

Thanks for looking

• Like 4

Ah, a short-nose Twotter!  Interesting.  I would suggest using clear sheet cut to the dimensions of the flight deck side windows, because they are awfully large for liquid clear stuff.  You could use your mule for test fitting.

2 minutes ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Ah, a short-nose Twotter!  Interesting.  I would suggest using clear sheet cut to the dimensions of the flight deck side windows, because they are awfully large for liquid clear stuff.  You could use your mule for test fitting.

Thanks, you are quite correct, the PVA is currently only being used to mask the openings, all of it will eventually be removed and replaced with more suitable window material

On 11/6/2020 at 10:33 AM, chrispisme said:

Thanks

I agree, the resin part looks like a real improvement on the kit...about time this kit got some loving!

Now we need a new tool in 1/48...or even 1/35 (I'd suggest 1/32 but this aircraft lends itself nicely to the military and military figures) 

I'd buy at least 6 of them (if decently accurate and with floats) in 1/48 for sure!

I'm hoping to use acetate for the windows

1/48 would be awesome! I worked on these in 418 (as an Air Reserve) and 440 Sqdn (Regular Force). Loved the reliable girl! Enjoying your build!

• Like 1

Thanks! I appreciate the positive support!!

Gloss white paint on finally, white, especially shiny white is hard for me to do. I primed the model with Tamiya acrylic flat white (fixed a few issues) then shot Tamiya lacquer gloss white for the shine. The kit supplies decals for C-GJAW overall white with an all blue vertical stab and rudder with a seagull outline in yellow but, my plan is to make a mask (no silhouette cutter here) for the newer paint scheme with the slightly different outline of  the gull in two tone white and gray and green 2 tone blue and white... (obviously)

L4ueN2B.jpg

WgK6RMQ.jpg

Thanks for looking

• Like 5

I've spent the day with a shovel a snow blower and helping stuck neighbors (got about 3 feet of snow overnight) but my gas guzzling 2002 4X4 Dodge Ram (with studded winter tires saw me through my daily tasks)

Back in the hobby room with a coffee and some Netflix to relax (don't say chilling!!) I've got a bunch of color on the Otter, you can now see the direction I'm going with this build. There's definitly going to be some touch up work required but the Tamiya lacquers make gloss paint a breeze.

Making masks:

t7Awwbz.jpg

gloss green:

cbuFXP1.jpg

nuZHBQr.jpg

and the light and dark blues;

igJDxJO.jpg

the dark blue is much darker in real life, looks lighter in the pics.

Thanks for looking

• Like 13

On 05/11/2020 at 14:04, Moa said:

Hum...

do I see a restroom in the future?

Sorry Moa, having dispatched these thousands of times back in my youth, I used to tell everyone to make sure they went to the toilet in the terminal before boarding, i have never seen one with a toilet, doesn't mean to say there were none, but it would seriously take up rear locker space, or cover the starboard rear emergency door, which we used to load wheelchair pax.

• Like 2

That's looking great!

What part of this large country is yours? I'm up in northeast Alberta. Not much snow so far, but some more expected tomorrow. Tomorrow is when I'm getting my snow tires put on.

Chris

Thanks!

im in Saskatoon...Regina got a skiff of it, Skyped my daughter in Calgary...nothing, my sister in Edmonton cold but no snow. I guess just Saskatoon got the dump! And what a dump it was! Looking across the street at my neighbors house I see a pile of snow over 5 feet high. My wife videoed me disappearing into a drift when I was snow blowing!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Crap on a cracker! That's way too much snow. I do you my snowblower all set and ready in the shed, just in case. 

We don't usually get too much snow, like you got, up here in Fort Mac. 

Chris

9 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

5' of snow? you can keep it over there.

9 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Crap on a cracker! That's way too much snow. I do you my snowblower all set and ready in the shed, just in case. 

We don't usually get too much snow, like you got, up here in Fort Mac. 

Lol! We don’t usually get this kind of snow either, it was a record breaker!

it started melting a bit already...so now it’s icy

between CVD 19 lockdown and winter weather I’ll be in my hobby room hibernating

• Like 3

11 hours ago, chrispisme said:

Thanks!

im in Saskatoon...Regina got a skiff of it, Skyped my daughter in Calgary...nothing, my sister in Edmonton cold but no snow. I guess just Saskatoon got the dump! And what a dump it was! Looking across the street at my neighbors house I see a pile of snow over 5 feet high. My wife videoed me disappearing into a drift when I was snow blowing!

It was 79° F yesterday here in the Dallas-Ft. Worth "Metroplex."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Space Ranger said:

It was 79° F yesterday here in the Dallas-Ft. Worth "Metroplex."

Please excuse the rude, crude and vulgar thoughts that flashed through my mind when I read this. I couldn't contain it.

Chris

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

Please excuse the rude, crude and vulgar thoughts that flashed through my mind when I read this. I couldn't contain it.

Not to worry. I was not gloating. We could do with a little Canadian cool down here. Texas did away with fall years ago as an economic measure. So we have beautiful weather right up until the first freeze, which kills all the vegetation at once.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Aside from the snow, you have some beautiful results there, and I love how this is coming together!

Thank you very much!

I went in to this build all pumped up from seeing @thorfinn 's Twin Otter build hoping I could finally get one finished and on the shelf. It looks like this may be the one...after failing to complete the last 2 and just throwing one away (and using one for a mule on this build) I am finally happy (ish) with the build... My mediocrity standard being maintained. 

I've fitted wings windows and have begun working on getting some floats under it.

Some pics;

the windows were made from single sided self adhesive transparent acetate sheet... (Scotch Tape) once in place, a drop of Future is applied from the other side, doing one side then the other going forward one window on each side at a time.

irjVCm8.jpg

PtUPu8W.jpg

UF2k7JK.jpg

Thanks for looking

• Like 6