DHC-6 (1/72)

Inspired to return to a half built shelf of doom build by @thorfinn 's Twin Otter build (A beautiful job that really raises the bar) I pulled out all the bits for mine, only to find I'd lost half the bits...not to be deterred I started yet another one (I've been beaten like a rented mule by this kit 3 times previously) 

Working with a little more experience and better tools with access to better references and time...thanks CVD-19 for the lovely lockdown! Although I'd rather be doing other things (like going to work and earning a living.) Sorry, off the soap box, back to the model

I decided to use previously assembled wings from the aforementioned stalled kit (to save a bit of grief and time) due to the wings and engines being assembled and seams filled (mostly) I remember the shapes of the engines bothering me once O got working on them, viewed from the side, the top of the engine nacelle should be flat from the wing leading edge to the stop at the prop bulkhead, these ones were hilly and uneven. I spent a couple of hours reshaping and sanding the nacelles, then the air intakes are the wrong shape, the oil cooler outflow vents...etc etc... I've ended up spending a full day on previously assembled wings! OK. with a bit more putty drying on the wings I began working on the fuselage.

The previously started stalled and died project (white one) beside the "new" kit

nPjycZz.jpg

opening up the engine air intakes (untouched kit parts for comparison)

og6HNcF.jpg?1

the bumpy/wavy engine shape (on the left) the re-shaped filled sanded version on the right. I've also removed and filled the huge troughs for the wing fences, hopefully to replace with some .010" card cut to shape.

xuCUQkk.jpg

oil cooler outflow vent (untouched example in blue)

QqUxajh.jpg

beginning work on the fuselage

1pfo1z4.jpg

Thanks for looking

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, thorfinn said:

Great work on those nacelles!

Following along with more than a little interest.

Have you chosen a scheme yet...or is that still 'classified,' for the moment?

Thank you very much! Keep in mind I strive for mediocrity.

I plan to finish it, (If it doesn't beat me again) in the Revell included markings, of "West Coast Air" on floats.  A division (I think) of Harbour Air out of Victoria British Columbia Canada...hopefully

It could also end up as a snow covered wreck in Alaska...🙂

• Haha 1

A bit more progress, finished? the wings. The stall fences have been replaced a little further outboard (according to my ref.) and re-imagined in .005" sheet cut to shape.

A new "fence" compared to the kit supplied part and trough it fits into shown here;

9tBnUkb.jpg?1

fences in place

TP5xHmg.jpg?1

the dark line inboard of the fence is the filled groove where the kit had them;

C4OwBye.jpg?1

I've cleaned up and feathered the props (for a parked engines off build) in the background is a kit untouched one, a bit of flash;

IFeWkQP.jpg

For using the flight deck floor to get a right angle with the bulkhead, a .010" shim was added to the bottom rear of the floor, otherwise a tilt back of the bulkhead or tilt down of the  cabin floor results.

KG1T7Ze.jpg?1

A bit hard to see (white plastic) but the control yoke is under scrutiny here

WbJxmsr.jpg?1

I sawed off the controls to add spacers behind them and to thin the Y shaped plastic control levers

VoUGZxx.jpg

E3NUDVq.jpg

Work continues...

• Like 13

A bit more butchery done on the Twotter, I am cobbling up a new windscreen to fit the wider opening, as well, the top of the nose is too flat as molded and will require some type of filler to correct the look (seen nose on) I have also added a couple of cabin side windows...now I'm not entirely sure this is right as I've got pictures of West Coast Air twin otters with the gap in the window spacing and with no gap...I went with oh well, I like the look with no gap.

weight has been added to the type 100 nose cone and both floats around 21 grams (3/4 oz. to my neighbors to the south)🙂

the seams have been dealt with on the floats, resulting in lost panel lines on the tops of the floats...that shouldn't be there anyway...win win.

pictures;

the windshield master being fabricated and fitted;

3pFB37N.jpg

fuselage with "window gaps";

MJmZsDG.jpg

gaps filled with windows;

aO76xnh.jpg

I've also sanded away the 2 extra fuel fillers on the stbd. side, they should only be on the port side.

the nose with liquid ballast PVA'd in and 7g of weight in each float...pointy end. (nose cap)

CqWQHfp.jpg

Thank you for looking

• Like 7

What's your technique for fashioning / fabricating a new windscreen?  I was thinking of heating clear plastic sheet and creating one from new, or cutting the kit's windscreen in half at the center pylon to insert a new part, but would like to know yours.

• Like 1

We think alike sir. I split the windshield at the center frame,added a oversized joiner in the middle then began adding thin strip and CA and sanding to shape, I discovered the fuselage windshield opening is (why was I surprised?) asymmetric from left to right as well. I made tracings to try to make them as symmetrical as I can. The roof line is off as well as the Front pillar length. 
After I get a decent fit of the master I’m working with I’ll plunge mold a new one (well I say a new one but it’ll likely be 5- 6 before I get a good one)

I forgot to mention, plan B...if this fails, I’ll use another kit, glue the windshield in places and and fill and fair it all in then plunge mold a windshield over that, then cut to fit. That may be easier in the long run. 

Edited by chrispisme
  • Like 2

Having good images to work from I decided the strengthening strips and door hinges could/should be better, not perfect but better.

I used Tamiya putty to make the strengthening strips and filled some sink marks here and there while I was at it.

I used .010" sheet cut into strips and added the floats flat top walkways as well. A bit of Tamiya tiger tank engine deck screen is being used to make the diamond patterned leatherette interior. This was glued in with PVA so the crosshatch shows here but should look more convincing under paint...?

Q5lOYpm.jpg

DibVtBL.jpg

Thank you for looking

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Scott Garard said:

I know I'm a little late, but here's another solution for the cokpit area:

DHC-6 clear cockpit section by Aerocraft

They also have replacement stabilisers, engine front & propellers, wheels and brass undercarriage legs!

Me likeeee!  Thanks so much for the tip.

Alex

4 hours ago, Scott Garard said:

I know I'm a little late, but here's another solution for the cokpit area:

DHC-6 clear cockpit section by Aerocraft

They also have replacement stabilisers, engine front & propellers, wheels and brass undercarriage legs!

Hi, thanks!

I actually looked at those a while back. I decided I wanted to keep this as cost effective and “in house” as possible as well, I’m not really convinced the cockpit section addresses all the issues with the model, the biggest issue (the windshield and asymmetry) for sure but not the flat nose section. Or it could be just the angle of the products pictures? 
but again, thank you for the information I’m certain other modellers will be very happy to try it! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

I don't see these flying around anymore so it's nice to see one being built. Good that you're adding a flat top to the floats, they need some help. Kit ones would be dangerous to walk on.

Thanks.

Indeed, I slid off the tops of those as a young apprentice way back in long lost youth. The good thing about it was that the aircraft was in a hangar, the bad thing about it was the hangar floor was concrete. I learned to step carefully after that!

A couple more hours at the bench have seen me tinker with getting the 100 series nose shape to my liking and after getting tired of that I began making interior items.

If you read above (somewhere back a bit) I mentioned the nose being too flat (viewed from the front) the next couple of images show my trying to figure out the fix for that

the nose as supplied;

i1ktZdP.jpg

My rough draft on a kit I am chopping up for practice and parts;

YSqQXHO.jpg

adding more sound quilting to the flight deck;

H0vVOz6.jpg

using the spare kit to fit out a cabin floor 

ay7Mna2.jpg

vUS66Fx.jpg

and some seats (just the start of them) single bums on one side double bums on the other;

p4OvduY.jpg

thank you for looking

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Moa said:

Hum...

do I see a restroom in the future?

Hahaha!

you’ve set the bar! I’m only trying to reach it, (I’ve raised my level of mediocrity) no bathroom in this one...the Beech 200 Kingair just finished should have had one stbd side aft. Just across from the entry door...if I’d put an interior in it.

• Like 2