Heller 1/24 Citroen 15 CV (80763)

I've just read the build thread, it looks like there were some challenges, but at least if I do get one I've got an idea of what to expect.  The Bugatti looked good too BTW.

That's lovely!  I think this is the first one I have seen built, and you have done a great job!  Your build thread is very interesting reading too 🙂

3 hours ago, johnlambert said:

Nice work, I quite fancy this kit, although I'm a little put off by Heller's reputation as a manufacturer of kits that are difficult to build.

I think that the thing with Heller is that they did it their own way, rather than copying the methods used by other kit manufacturers.  One example is that in several of their car kits from this era, the side windows are sometimes moulded as one part with the interior door panels.  However, whilst fiddly, most of the kits in this series are nicely detailed, and in some cases, more finely so than many later kits.  As demonstrated by this Citroen, the interior side panel detail continues above the base of the windows, rather than ending there which is the case for almost all car kits.

• Like 2

Thanks everybody. 👍

I will be making a second one of these one day and I will certainly deal with the windows differently, possibly cutting the lower door panels off and fitting them separately. As for Heller's "quirks", it doesn't take too long to get used to them!

Dave

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, davecov said:

As for Heller's "quirks", it doesn't take too long to get used to them!

Those quirks are why I rather like their kits and to my (often strange) mind, there always seems to be a good reason why they did it the way they did.  I've often thought of building one or two of the separate chassis cars without any bodywork as they seem to include sufficient detail along with the parts break down to allow this.  However, I may also be slightly biased, having attempted to build their Alfa Romeo 1750 Zagato as a child (my lack of skill - nothing wrong with the kit), I then restarted this hobby with their Bugatti T50 and Mercedes-Benz 500K roadster, and so I was not familar with the usual way that most car kits are engineered.

• Like 2