New Shelves in Cellar After Flooding

Hiya Folks,....... thanks to all those who have asked about the flood....... well my brilliant missus has built a new set of shelves to replace the soggy, mouldy wooden ones using corrugated plastic sheet!! 

123325516-353853045702404-46554458856700

123382460-972685836572689-65207626517391

Just need to fill them with the surviving models now!

EDIT,.... Here is the cellar before the flood!

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 31

Thanks everybody,..... glad you like them and I did say I would update you!

4 hours ago, franky boy said:

Looks good Tony

Did you lose many models in the flood?

James

Yes mate,.... lost over 100 models,........ might have to throw some more yet if I cannot clean them up.

All the best

Tony

• Sad 3

Ouch Tony.  Hopefully you will be able to replace the lost part of your collection.  Let me know if I can help by sending you some of the extras from my stash.

Mike

• Like 1

Tony! When was this? How did I miss this?

Okay, I found the posting about the flood. 

If there is anything in my stash that you want, just let me know and it's yours. No charge!

Chris

• Like 2

Wow,... thanks for your kind offers folks but I should be OK ta,...... got quite a stash in the loft and elsewhere! 

No we didn`t claim on the insurance,.... no claims bonus and all that,......  and many of the models were quite old anyway,......  we`ve had a few ankle deep floods before but this 20-30 minute torrential tropical style downpour caused the deepest flood we`ve ever had,...... when my missus went down the plastic shelving units were all floating around with models tipping off and the water looked like there had been a mass ditching by a carrier air wing! The water was filthy.... so we also ended up standing on those which had sunk as we couldn`t see them!We had to get some garden ornaments to weight the base of the shelving units down LOL!  

Clearing the mould has been an awful job,..... and it has transferred to most of the models which survived,...... hence we may have to bin quite a few more unless I can clean them. 

Thanks again everybody,

Tony

• Like 4

Hi Tony,

Sorry to hear your news but great job on the shelves. Happy to help out if you need anything from the stash...

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

Thanks again folks,..... yeah I`m OK thanks for the offer of kits,..... I have quite a large stash in the loft!

For those that have not seen what it looked like before,..... here is the cellar before the flood;

Cheers

Tony

6 hours ago, tonyot said:

Clearing the mould has been an awful job

Yes....that would be the worst part I would think.  I hop you ore respirators or some kind of Level 3 mask for that.  Here in Greece we have Black Mould.  Terrible stuff.

I am happy your new shelves are up!  Well done!

14 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

Looking good but you better make it waterproof. I know you are okay for kits but if you need a replacement for decals etc let us know.

Cheers Ed,... very kind of you mate. 

14 hours ago, John Masters said:

Yes....that would be the worst part I would think.  I hop you ore respirators or some kind of Level 3 mask for that.  Here in Greece we have Black Mould.  Terrible stuff.

I am happy your new shelves are up!  Well done!

If there is something we are not short of here at the moment is facemasks!! For the mould on the models I`ll be taking them outside,..... if it ever stops raining that is! We have black mould here,..... but this sort of mould in the cellar is new to me,...... mainly white, some with a yellow tinge,...... smells really mushroomy,...... not nice stuff!

Thanks again folks,

Tony

2 hours ago, Scooby said:

Amazing wife, she’s a keeper. 🙃

She sure is mate. I cannot do the shelves due to my disability,...... and she is better at DIY than me anyway,...... she has had to be unfortunately,..... first when I was away in the Army,.... and then after my injury!

• Like 1

Hi Tony. I’m really sorry to read of your terrible misfortune with the flooding of your amazing models collection. Total respect for your attitude to all these things though. Sad to say I’m not so sure I’d be so resilient.

And of course too marks to your wife for her shelving too!

• Like 1

Tony... I've just seen this thread, and the wonderful photos of how your collection used to look in the basement before the flood... what a fantastic collection that was, easily several hundred kits in view!  I know you said some of them were old, but they all looked excellent.  It was like a model shop you would have found on any High Street when I was a youngster, a veritable Aladdin's Cave.  I cannot imagine how distraught you must've been when you saw the damage.  I'm really pleased, though, that you've got new shelving in place, and none of us modellers need an excuse to fill shelves with kits... ;-). 

I also liked the photo in your earlier post of the cabinet in what looked like your living room?  A lovely cabinet, never mind the contents.  Did those survive?  I do hope so.  I wish you well in restocking the shelves, and the enjoyment of doing so.  One last question...does your wife take commissions in shelving-building?   I may need someone with her DIY skills in the not-too-distant future... !

Best of luck,

Paul

• Like 1