A Wonderful Wimpy

Hi all,

I thought I'd start sharing with you my current build on the bench - the 1/72 Airfix Vickers Wellington Mk.1A/C - before I get much further on.  I started on this kit to really get back into the swing of things as with everything going on in the world, my modelling productivity took a bit of a nose dive and I really enjoy using the forum to see what everyone is up to and to share what I'm doing too.  So to kick us off - here's the standard box art pic:

DSC00630

So far I've built up the cockpit and the two fuselage halves and everything is about ready to be put together and then sealed up.  There's still a little bit more weathering to do and there'll be the addition of some seat belts and then I think we're done on the inside.  

The detail of this kit is fantastic (hats off to Airfix) - only trouble is you'll see virtually none of it when it's all sealed up.  Such a lot of details - all of the bulkeads, the geodetic airframe and even the Elsan Chemical Toilet which I think is a brilliant addition but very unlikely to be seen at the end (hopefully you'll see this better with the next photos I post).  Seeing any detail is especially a problem if you choose Scheme A as the fuselage windows are blacked out.  That's why I've chosen to do Scheme B so maybe some details will be seen through the windows and also why I've chose to take some pictures now before it's sealed up so at least I can say 'the detail is in there somewhere'.

So here's where I am to date:

DSC00624

Once I've added the finishing touches, given everything a Matt coat and then started to bring it all together I'll add another couple of photos to show you where I am and then I can hopefully get cracking on bringing the rest of the aircraft together.   

Thanks

Kris

• Like 23

Looks fantastic so far Kris, you have done a cracking job on the interior painting.  I would love one of these too, gotvthe MPM kit in the stash but might consider cashing in my Flying hours and getting one and flog the MPM one. Will have to see.

Great work 

Chris

2 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looks fantastic so far Kris, you have done a cracking job on the interior painting.  I would love one of these too, gotvthe MPM kit in the stash but might consider cashing in my Flying hours and getting one and flog the MPM one. Will have to see.

Great work 

Chris

Thank you very much for your kind feedback Chris. I personally couldn't recommend this kit enough - it's a real gem so I don't think you'd be disappointed if you did get one. Will post more pics once I get the cockpit attached to the fuselage and all the bulkheads in just before I join the two halves together. Many thanks - Kris

• Like 2

I do hope there's not too much paint build-up on the outer edges of the bulkhead frames and on the inside of the fuselage halves where those frames will sit.

Airfix's newer kits have some very close tolerances where even a coat or two of paint can hamper getting fuselage halves to fit together over internals.

You work does look great!

Chris

3 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

I do hope there's not too much paint build-up on the outer edges of the bulkhead frames and on the inside of the fuselage halves where those frames will sit.

Airfix's newer kits have some very close tolerances where even a coat or two of paint can hamper getting fuselage halves to fit together over internals.

You work does look great!

Chris

Thanks Chris. Yes you're absolutely right about tolerances and its something I'll be conscious of when I come to pull everything together. No doubt there'll be plenty of dry fitting and a bit of paint scraping. Interesting though isn't how the fit in general is great, yet as has been well documented, (and I can confirm), the triangular fuselage openings towards the rear on each side have covers which just don't fit because they're smaller than the openings. No kit can ever be perfect I suppose 🙄

• Like 2

So as promised, I've managed to take a few photos now that the internals are complete.  

Everything was given a Matt coat, all the bulkheads are in - including the ones Airfix tell you are optional - and seat belts were added.  I did a dry fit of the two fuselage halves together and touch wood everything still went together nicely.  The excellent overall fit of this kit so far can't be stressed enough.

The downside of course - nothing can really be seen - which is a shame but hey ho - that's what these photos are for - to prove it's in there 🤔

Apologies that the pics aren't the greatest due to lighting - the wood work does not look 'orangey' in natural light.

So here's where we are now:

DSC00631

DSC00632

DSC00636

DSC00639

DSC00640

DSC00641

And as promised - here's a couple of pics to try and give you a better view of that all important Elsan Chemical Toilet.  I've tried to match the colour to pics I've seen on the internet so hopefully as faithful a rendition as possible. (Although - once again why we bother I'll never know when it'll never be seen again)!! Though saying that - at least no-one will be caught short!!!😂

DSC00643

DSC00638

So the next update should see the fuselage together and I'll be able to show you the progress made so far on the engines and the wings  We should then be much closer to getting some paint on her as well as all the other bits and pieces to show that she's a Wellington.

Keep safe and well and keep modelling and I'll catch up with you all soon

Thanks

Kris

• Like 20

That looks pretty impressive :) 
And the detailing OOB is very good, I must say. 

What if you could add a LED, replace the side windows with clear plastic sheet for better visibility... and I did have the Matchbox Wimpy once upon a time, could do with a new one.. :hmmm:

Must....resist...

3 minutes ago, Unfinished project said:

Looking forward to following this one. At least the toilet has a window seat

Thank you - the more the merrier 😊 You know I never even thought of that - always good to have something to look at when you're (cough, cough) doing your business! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

That looks pretty impressive :) 
And the detailing OOB is very good, I must say. 

What if you could add a LED, replace the side windows with clear plastic sheet for better visibility... and I did have the Matchbox Wimpy once upon a time, could do with a new one.. :hmmm:

Must....resist...

Hey alt - yeah I know once the creative juices start flowing the world's your oyster! Yeah I think the OOB detail on the kit is very good but any super detailers out there could really take this kit to another level. You'd just need to make sure all that hard work and effort could be seen 🤔

• Like 1

This is nice work. I recently did one over on the MTO group build, I left out most of the interior but I did add a few items that would show up against the side glazing(like the folded bed, Oxy bottles and a couple of others)  Everything fits really nicely the side glazing was a perfect flush fit with very little trimming.

:goodjob:

Davey.

12 minutes ago, DaveyGair said:

This is nice work. I recently did one over on the MTO group build, I left out most of the interior but I did add a few items that would show up against the side glazing(like the folded bed, Oxy bottles and a couple of others)  Everything fits really nicely the side glazing was a perfect flush fit with very little trimming.

:goodjob:

Davey.

Thanks for your comments Davey 👍Also thanks for flagging up that you did a Wimpy for the MTO GB - I shall have to tootle on over and have a look. I don't blame you for leaving most of the interior out. I think in hindsight if I'd actually realised that virtually nothing can be seen I may also have had second thoughts 🤔

12 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

Looking great!

Does the starboard fuselage look as good?

Chris

Thanks Chris - much appreciated. The starboard fuselage is just what you see in my first pics. It's basically plain in readiness to be mated up with the port side 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Roland Pulfrew said:

@planecrazee might I ask what you used to do the interior ‘red dope’ colour on the inside of the fuselage.  Looks very effective.

Hi Roland - thank you for your question and you're more than welcome to ask. I actually used Revell Aqua 'Rust' as I found that to be a preferred colour to my eye. I first added some white to the rust - probably about 80% rust to 20% white and sprayed that on as a base. Then I basically dry brushed the rust colour onto the panels to break up the base colour and make it look like the dope was more prevalent in some patches than in others. Then to finish I gave it a gloss coat and a wash of burnt umber oil paint followed by the matt coat. Sorry for the lengthy response but didn't want to leave anything out. I don't use Revell Aqua very frequently for spraying but I find they perform really well when sprayed and give a really good coverage. 

Best wishes

Kris

• Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, planecrazee said:

Hi Roland - thank you for your question and you're more than welcome to ask. I actually used Revell Aqua 'Rust' as I found that to be a preferred colour to my eye. 

Best wishes

Kris

Thanks Kris, very useful summary, much appreciated. You’ve certainly got a good finish there. I’ve never used the Revell Aqua range so may have to give it a go.

Just now, Roland Pulfrew said:

Thanks Kris, very useful summary, much appreciated.  I’ve never used the Revell Aqua range so may have to give it a go.

No problem Roland - your very welcome. They are definitely worth a go - nice creamy paints that when thinned appropriately spray extremely well. :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

Happy Sunday BMers - hope you're all getting some time in at the bench :thumbsup:

I've been sorting out which GB's I'd like to take part in for the year ahead with the hope of reducing down some of the stash - although this never seems to work because every time something goes out of the stash - something seems to replace it - I think I must have magic cupboards!!!! :think:  The first GB I'll be joining to continue developing my armour modelling skills will be the Panzer III STGB - so should be fun and keep me busy.

So in amongst all of this, I've managed to get back to the Wimpy so I can move things on.  We left off last time where as far as main construction was concerned, the fuselage basically needed buttoned up and the wings and engine internals brought together.   I've spent a couple of sessions at the bench getting this all done as well as all the remedial work such as sorting out any seems, any paint touch ups and then the masking for all the glazing - fortunately I bought the Eduard set which made short work of this.  

So here's what she looks like after all that work was completed:

DSC00698

DSC00697

DSC00696

DSC00695

DSC00692

DSC00691

DSC00690

DSC00687

In the main, the kit has been fantastic, a pleasure to build - however there's been a couple of issues for me in reaching this stage.  One is an issue I've seen documented elsewhere by other modellers with regards to the poor fit of the kit parts for covering the waist gunner positions.  They just don't fit - too small - and require a lot of fettling.  I think I'll still have to do more.  

My 2nd issue has been with the fit of the glazed parts for the kit.  Sometimes you can say 'it's maybe my fault and not the kit' and in some instances this could have been true - however, there seem to be fit issues with each part but in different ways.

If anyone else out there in the BM community has built the kit I'd be very interested to know if you've had similar issues or whether you've had no problems at all - then we can blame me!!!

In order to get a good look at her in a uniform fashion, I decided to get any openings sealed off and to get some primer onto her to show up any faults.  So here's how she looks now:

DSC00706

DSC00705

DSC00703

DSC00702

DSC00701

DSC00700

DSC00699

Apologies that some pics aren't the best - went for a dark primer seen as though the majority of the kit is meant to be black anyway.

I was pleasantly surprised at some parts of the glazing after the primer - there were parts that looked better than I'd thought but still a few that would require a bit of remedial work - mainly filling slight gaps as well as some light sanding on some parts that are a bit proud.

What's really interesting in the pics is that the waist gunner positions seem to have completely vanished underneath the primer, but trust me they'll still need a little bit of work on the actual model to try an make them as flush as possible.

So I'll work on the adjustments that are needed where possible and then she'll be ready for her top coats of paint - so hopefully getting her closer to the finish line now.  There's the bombs and bomb bay to finish, engines, props, undercarriage and wheels etc and then a few miscellaneous bits and pieces and we'll be sorted.  Then it will be onto decals and weathering.

I'm trying to get her as close to finished as possible in the run up to the Panzer III GB starting in Feb, so hopefully see you all very soon with another update.

Stay safe and happy modelling :thumbsup:

Kris  

• Like 12

This Wellington is superb, and a brilliant interior, craftsmanship at work there! 

It makes me want to try some WW2 bombers myself, but the stash is already too big. If I made everything it’d fill a whole spare room. I’ll just watch yours instead, it looks a lot better than I’d manage anyway.

Looking forward to seeing the camo colours added.