1/48 Airfix Sea Fury FB 11 'Export'

My first post of a finished build on this forum.

My latest build, the Hawker Sea Fury. As with other recent Airfix offerings, this went together quite well. No WIP to show.

Tamiya paints were used, mainly XF54 Dark Sea Grey and XF21 Sky  as well as dark dirt wash, Tamiya Smoke and Abteilung 502 oils.
Extras used were Eduard PE seat belts and cockpit interior and decals from Xtradecal for the roo roundels.

This was done as the Royal Australian Navy version with a bit of artistic license. In 1956 the RAAF and RAN changed from British style roundels to ones with the red kangaroo. I have used red 'roo roundels to represent a post-1956 Sea Fury. I cannot be certain that this particular aircraft carried these new roundels, although some Sea Furies did. According to ADF Serials this particular aircraft was scrapped in June 1957. By 1956 these aircraft were shore based and the tail code 'K' for HMAS Sydney was not carried. Normally shore based aircraft would have carried a 'NW' code for RANAS Nowra but photos I've seen don't show this.

This particular aircraft achieved some fame, when in 1955 it shot down an Auster light plane at about 10,000 feet over the ocean off Sydney. The Auster had managed to take off from Bankstown airport in Sydney without a pilot. The scene is depicted on the box art. Following the incident, this Sea Fury carried an Auster 'kill' symbol below the cockpit.

20200902_154613a

P1040100

P1040101

P1040102

P1040111

Cheers

Steve

• Like 65

5 hours ago, SteveMc said:

My first post of a finished build on this forum.

My latest build, the Hawker Sea Fury. As with other recent Airfix offerings, this went together quite well. No WIP to show.

Tamiya paints were used, mainly XF54 Dark Sea Grey and XF21 Sky  as well as dark dirt wash, Tamiya Smoke and Abteilung 502 oils.
Extras used were Eduard PE seat belts and cockpit interior and decals from Xtradecal for the roo roundels.

This was done as the Royal Australian Navy version with a bit of artistic license. In 1956 the RAAF and RAN changed from British style roundels to ones with the red kangaroo. I have used red 'roo roundels to represent a post-1956 Sea Fury. I cannot be certain that this particular aircraft carried these new roundels, although some Sea Furies did. According to ADF Serials this particular aircraft was scrapped in June 1957. By 1956 these aircraft were shore based and the tail code 'K' for HMAS Sydney was not carried. Normally shore based aircraft would have carried a 'NW' code for RANAS Nowra but photos I've seen don't show this.

This particular aircraft achieved some fame, when in 1955 it shot down an Auster light plane at about 10,000 feet over the ocean off Sydney. The Auster had managed to take off from Bankstown airport in Sydney without a pilot. The scene is depicted on the box art. Following the incident, this Sea Fury carried an Auster 'kill' symbol below the cockpit.

Cheers

Steve

Superb work Steve great finishes. Effects masterclass.

Great getting the Kangaroo in there gives it a personality.

Very nice photos in deed.

Love your text especially the pilot less aircraft. How on earth did that happen.

Laurie

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, LaurieS said:

Superb work Steve great finishes. Effects masterclass.

Great getting the Kangaroo in there gives it a personality.

Very nice photos in deed.

Love your text especially the pilot less aircraft. How on earth did that happen.

Laurie

Thanks Laurie

Apparently the Auster had landed with engine trouble and while the pilot was checking it out the engine sprang to life, the brakes failed and off it went. This happened at Bankstown airport in SW Sydney and it flew straight and climbed NE over Sydney and out to sea. The Air Force had a couple of unsuccessful attempts to bring it down and the navy claimed kudos by shooting it down.

• Like 1

Welcome to the club! Beautiful work on the Sea Fury, and a RAN version at that. She's a sleek bird, and you've captured her well. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.    👍

Cheers,

Bill

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...