F-100D Monogram 1/48. Back to the future!

@bar side The scorched metal effect will be one of my first with this F-100 project. Thank you for the Flixton. Is it me or do the drop tanks look ...odd?

@Biggles87 Here's a tip for painting stripes: first paint yellow overall. Then add the black stripes. Don't bother to make them good on the first try. Leave to dry, then adjust the width of each stripe with yellow paint. This method also works for painting VERY THIN lines.

@Ben Brown Haha Ben, you caught me in the act!

Indeed I removed the wings and the stabs for an easier access to the fuselage joint. I just wanted to leave it for another instalment just not to confuse the readers.

Thank you for chiming in. Your insights are priceless for us, F-100 lovers.

There's another error in the Monogram intake opening profile. It should be slightly slanted forward.

It would be too hard to correct so I chickened out.

F-100-nose.jpg

C975-BDB8-8-DF5-48-EB-AC7-F-CFC98-B03-FD

@Scimitar F1 It would be nice to see yours. The more the merrier!

See ya later alligators,

Quang

Edited by quangster
  • Like 6

On 10/31/2020 at 7:30 AM, quangster said:

Alan and John, you're right. There are quite a few of us old timers who remember that period with a wet eye!  😢

Here's for the young 'uns a quick preview of the Monogram kit.

The Century Series released in the 1980s is IMO the most successful Monogram had ever released. For some reasons their Navy counterparts didn't fare as well. Correct shapes, adequate and realistic details –albeit a little simplified by today's standards, these kits were a joy to build and paint.

The only negative point is Monogram's somehow 'creative' way of designing the kits resulting in complicated assemblies and unsightly joins. 'Sanding the clowns' they said 😜
83748-DC7-80-B9-426-B-85-BE-E9-DEBC9963-

Like I usually do, the first thing is to give the entires sprues a fine coat of Mr. Surfacer 1200 to hide the plastic blemishes and reveal the imperfections of the surface – as well as the exciting engraved details.

Above: the primed half-fuselage. Below: the naked other half.
98899-CF2-1745-4-BF5-B703-4-E35-B84-FBC8

The first mod will be to cover up the panels Monogram left open in order to attract the young public. IMO it only serves to detract from the beautiful lines of the aircraft. White Milliput is used to fill up the panel joins in and out.
945-DA4-E6-79-C4-4-DF3-ACC9-32-A314-E009

F03-B6-F8-E-26-D9-494-F-A52-B-B64-D9081-

The garish green Vallejo paint over the joins is an indicator of where the files and wet-and-dry went therefore keeping the sanding under control
D795-D564-9-CB7-4095-9-F91-6-F9-FBA5-CF5

That's it for today folks.

Until next time,

Cheers,
Quang

I remember buying this kid in the eighties, opening up the box, and couldn't believe the level of detail!

Even by today's standards, it's still a nice kit.   I've heard it's more accurate than the recent Trumpeter offering.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, quangster said:

@bar side The scorched metal effect will be one of my first with this F-100 project. Thank you for the Flixton. Is it me or do the drop tanks look ...odd?

Yes they are sitting in some stands - I wonder if she is starting to feel her age?

vCosrOG.jpg

And this is my Monogram F-100 - Wethersfield jet I think

puk3bcz.jpg

• Like 5

10 hours ago, B.sin said:

I've heard it's more accurate than the recent Trumpeter offering.

One day I’ll be banned because I’m frequently saying that the Trumpeter research team is not good at all... There’s always the mixture of modifications in one box. :facepalm:

• Like 1

@B.sin Call me sentimental but these old brands like Monogram and to a lesser extent Revell displayed some ‘feel’ about their subjects.
It’s not about accuracy per se but a sense of wonder these old kits seem to convey. Oh well I’m getting old! 😬

@bar side Your Wethersfield Hun reminds me of Triple Zilch, a version we F-100 fans all have built at one time or another. Great hangar setting by the way! 👌

@Nikolay Polyakov Don’t get me wrong. Trumpy/HobbyBoss are capable of some very good kits. Their 1/48 McDonnell Demon makes an impressive model once you get past the initial mistake in its denomination.

@Alan P Sometimes it only takes some very simple modifications to enhance a stock kit. That’s the fun of it.

Cheers,

Quang

Edited by quangster
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

One day I’ll be banned because I’m frequently saying that the Trumpeter research team is not good at all... There’s always the mixture of modifications in one box. :facepalm:

I completely agree with the statement !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

Hello all,

Having finished the nose part, we'll turn to the other end: the exhaust.

Monogram obligingly gives us the two types of exhaust sported by the Hun in its lifetime: the original 'iris' type and the F-102 type as used by the ANG.

The kit mouldings are accurate albeit lacking of finesse: the nozzle and tail part are moulded integrally and the tail pipe is ridiculously short. This area can be easily enhanced by combining the two options. Here's how:

– The nozzles are separated from the tail parts and the parts switched

Tail-correct.jpg

– The kit tailpipe is discarded and replaced with a suitable tube. I used an X-acto blade container. The opposite end is closed with a part from the scrap box.

exhaust-correct.jpg

1-BA059-D2-B301-4975-AD7-C-BED047-EF89-C

9-A9-E9869-E2-AC-4-A62-ADB4-CE335-AA7-B5

F2-F9-D5-A7-93-F0-418-D-B85-F-296-D2-F67

The horizontal stabs are moulded integrally with the upper fuselage. To make the assembly easier, they are ruthlessly cut off. We'll fabricate a new tube-and-wire pivot for both stabs.

F72-DE998-C102-4813-8-FA5-7-CAC0852-BBED

97544-A9-A-2-F15-42-A0-B5-F1-F3-AE223829

Before closing the fuselage, we'll add a compartment for the tail skid and one for the brake parachute stowage. New doors are made from plasticard.

53-C64228-4-FF2-4678-A845-DB8037307-A44.

8-BD58-E27-F6-A6-4514-9-E6-B-20-D896-C50

Stowage.jpg

The airbrake on the French F-100s is the older model with the simpler cut. The brake wells is modified accordingly.

62853-BA1-6-CEA-497-C-B75-B-5-AC5534-E7-

7-A76-A18-A-D0-F2-42-E0-8-C0-B-8-D46-AC8

The one-piece wing is separated into right and left. It will make the fuselage assembly and the cleaning of joints much easier.

AF3-EB777-DC61-4-D22-9946-3-C534-B5-BE82

Next episode: closing the fuselage.

That's it folks.

Until next time,

Cheers,

Quang

• Like 8

Some nice ideas there.  I think my F-100 was about my third or fourth 1/48 kit & I hadn’t really strayed from the kit instructions.  The rear section fit is awful so combining the rear sections sounds like a good call.  Might have to do another one at some point.  Not sure when the ANG retired the Hun & when the last one visited the UK

• Like 1

On 11/8/2020 at 7:16 PM, bigbadbadge said:

Great update and great work. 

Chris

Thank you Chris. Glad you like it!

On 11/8/2020 at 11:33 PM, bar side said:

Some nice ideas there.  I think my F-100 was about my third or fourth 1/48 kit & I hadn’t really strayed from the kit instructions.  The rear section fit is awful so combining the rear sections sounds like a good call.  Might have to do another one at some point.  Not sure when the ANG retired the Hun & when the last one visited the UK

In some instances, straying from the instructions can save you a lot of trouble during a build.  That is why I always take time to get myself familiar with a new kit.

4 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

You’re going fast, Quang! 😉 Excellent progress on the nose and exhaust - it’s a lovely build.

Every build is like a car trip, Nikolay. Some times it’s a four-lane flat top, other times it’s a bumpy dirt road.😝

48 minutes ago, Shorty84 said:

a great deal of hacking and sawing going on. Interesting to see such an in-depht build about how the old (but still good) Monogram kit can be improved.

Haha Markus, I guess you’re ready for some swordplay yourself with your Thunderceptor project🤪. I will be following your build with interest.

• Like 3