Grumman F6F-3 Hellcat, 1/72 Eduard

Hi there, it's been a while since my last post. 

This is my first Hellcat. Many years ago, I've purchased an 1/48 Eduard kit, but since Ive recently got into 1/72 I decided to build the smaller brother first 😉 to add to my "little birds" collection.

I wanted to push the weathering as much as possible, so I took the opportunity to explore different techniques and products. I've also did a bit of scratch in the landing gear and added all rivets.

Been a Hellcat was screaming for a Cat Mouth scheme, so I've chosen to depicted as flown by Gordon Arthur Stanley. Born on July 13th, 1921, in Seattle, Washington state, shot down 8 enemy airplanes in the course of World War Two, all achieved flying with VF-27.

His unit became famous thanks to its unique marking - cat mouth and eyes, painted by Robert Burnell on all noses of the Hellcats. Unfortunately most of the aircrafts with this camo were destroyed on October 24th, 1944, during the Battle of Leyte Gulf. They ended up at the bottom of the ocean together with Light Aircraft Carrier Princeton sunk by the single bomb launched from the D4Y Suisei (Judy) dive-bomber.

Afterwards VF-27 operated from the board of CVL-22 Independence, however without the cat-mouth and eyes markings. 

QozYBu0.jpg

ENS Gordon Arthur Stanley, VF-27, USS Princeton (CVL-23),

October 1944

wMuJbZZ.jpg

S4gHTFL.jpg

1Y9cwTq.jpg

ZfIBrnY.jpg

VxG4rdi.jpg

fdRn2Nb.jpg

Xoe8fhf.jpg

KeY506G.jpg

cuY4JBI.jpg

M9MUnst.jpg

dyCzC0T.jpg

4VWGeNU.jpg

FyIFPvf.jpg

E5BrWDB.jpg

9JePDmC.jpg

N7V4xrB.jpg

Cheers

Jorge

Edited by JrivasK
curves correction in all images
  • Like 39

12 hours ago, binbrook87 said:

Very nice indeed. I just love the realistic weathering 👍 

Thank you! I'm very happy with the weathering results too. I found very difficult to know when to stop and not to overdo, although that is a very subjective matter and they are many opinions as they are people 😉

1 hour ago, Val_Ukraine said:

WOW! Very nice! I can hardly believe this is only 1/72nd! :goodjob:

Thank you 👍. It is a relatively big aircraft even in 1/72nd, and very easy to handle. In fact, lately, I'm getting more used to work in 1/72nd and I found 1/48th to be too big with some subjects.

If I have to choose I will probably go for 1/72nd!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Alan P said:

Very well done! Excellent work, makes it look bigger than 1/72.

Thank you 👍

10 hours ago, Mig88 said:

Fantastic!! Very nicely finished indeed!

Miguel

Muchas gracias Miguel 😉

10 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Superb Hellcat. That weathering is spot on!

Terry

Thanks Terry!, glad you like the weathering...it was a lot of fun doing it 😄

10 hours ago, djos said:

Very serious approach to weathering, and result is fantastic!

Beautiful and realistic hellcat

Regards

Djordje

Thanks! yeah I've tried to achieve realism...I personally prefer to tell a story, and to show the use of the aircraft in harsh conditions in the middle of a war with the weathering. I'm not too keen on shiny new aircraft, with not a single blemish, cause they look a bit toyish to me.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Sky Keg said:

Excellent Jorge!!!!  The Hellcat looks right at home in it`s dirty “work uniform”.  Great results and superb weathering. :goodjob:

Mike 

Thank you very much Mike, I really appreciate your comment.  😄👍

• Like 1

Here -with bigger photos- the HELLCAT looks even more fantastic than in instagram. 

What a beauty my dear friend!  And I love the history behind the plane.  

Kudos to you my dear George 👍

PS: inspirational for blocks like me that have not adventure yet with weathering... 

37 minutes ago, Cris Garcia said:

Here -with bigger photos- the HELLCAT looks even more fantastic than in instagram. 

What a beauty my dear friend!  And I love the history behind the plane.  

Kudos to you my dear George 👍

PS: inspirational for blocks like me that have not adventure yet with weathering... 

Hello my friend! I'm super happy you liked the Hellcat!

I know weathering can be intimidating because we are all afraid of ruining our precious work, but the only way to go beyond it is to jump into the pool! You can't make an omelet without braking some eggs. 😉

cheers

jorge

38 minutes ago, supersonic said:

Superb piece of modelling, weathering is spot on!

Hu supersonic, thank you very much! 😄

cheers

• Thanks 1