It's Mandalorian Time!

Alan P

I really enjoyed season 1 of this, about to kick off season 2 with a big plate of fish and chips 😋🍽️

For those not familiar it's a kind of space western set in the Star Wars universe, I highly recommend a month's worth of Disney Plus just to binge it 😉

10 hours ago, Alan P said:

I really enjoyed season 1 of this, about to kick off season 2 with a big plate of fish and chips 😋🍽️

For those not familiar it's a kind of space western set in the Star Wars universe, I highly recommend a month's worth of Disney Plus just to binge it 😉

I'll wait until the seasons festivities have passed and wait for the new year to come before I binge on seasons one and two.

6 hours ago, spruecutter96 said:

Do you have any obligation to continue paying the monthly-subscription fee, after your free trial month has expired? I would imagine you can binge-watch a lot of good stuff in one month.....

Chris. 

I originally signed up for a month during the spring lockdown and we ended up keeping it going, there's no minimum term though. 

4 hours ago, Mick4350 said:

I'll wait until the seasons festivities have passed and wait for the new year to come before I binge on seasons one and two.

No spoilers from me then! 😊

• Thanks 1

O8 OK in 9Watched both episodes with my son (who has access to Disney via his sister). He is a real Star Wars nerd and has been since watching Episode One when he was about five when the film came out and gets all the stuff that I don't know about. In the Mandalorian you get to see all the proper Star Wars stuff and aliens (no JarJar Binks so a plus). It puts me in mind of Clint Eastwood in a Fistful of Dollars

• Haha 1

I want to like The Mandolorian, but I can't get past the cutsey kidsy Disney Baby Yoda, it's almost as bad a Jar Jar Binks.  It was all looking great until they introduced that in the first episode.

And now, Boba Fett has miraculously come back from the Sarlacc Pit!?!  Say whaaat!

• 2 weeks later...

i'm really enjoying this, its very atmospheric, authentic well told. Apart from the weekly side quests its a decent show made by people who appreciate the source material, run with it but make something new and original. In many shots its visually stunning and these only enhance  the story rather than spending too much time on them, a little goes along way. 

Its been described as western in space but its so much more. Think  Firefly (which i love ) but more familiar, bigger budget and considerably cooler. 

• Like 2

On 11/6/2020 at 8:08 PM, RobL said:

I want to like The Mandolorian, but I can't get past the cutsey kidsy Disney Baby Yoda, it's almost as bad a Jar Jar Binks.  It was all looking great until they introduced that in the first episode.

And now, Boba Fett has miraculously come back from the Sarlacc Pit!?!  Say whaaat!

He does according to my son who is very well up on all things Star Wars. In the story arcs that the series follows Bobba Fett does get out of the Sarlacc pit and reappears in several of the novels. It is referenced in one of the Robot Chicken Star Wars special. The Mandalorian apparently appeals to a lot of hard core Star Wars fans because it uses a lot of background from the other animated series, novels and comics. The baby Yoda, although cute is actually central to the story for a couple of reasons. He is not at all like JarJar Binks. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/22/2020 at 1:00 PM, Beermonster1958 said:

Have to say I am not over impressed with this series.

Plodding, dull, over rated and full of dumb clichés like "This is the way".

Found it a real struggle to sit through the first season.

I think the best character was the IG-88 assassin - cum nurse droid!.

The poor, hapless, Stormtroopers are no longer funny either.

I think the one bright spot is Giancarlo Esposito who,as Moff Gideon is shaping up nicely as a delightfully  nasty piece of work.

Oh yes, nearly forgot. Rather liked that homicidal Twi'lek female in Season 1( 6).😉😂

I know its billed as a " space western" but, I was never fond of westerns anyway so, maybe I'm inclined to be prejudiced here!

@Mick4350 Do not read on. Unless you've now watched the series. If not, getyerfingeroutyerdrongo!

I've watched both series over the last couple of weeks. Plodding? in places maybe, but there's lots of action bits.

This is the way, May the force etc, may be a bit cringeworthy but they set the core of the purpose of these people.

IG-88 Yes. Big like. Stormtroopers. Beyond a joke. just getting silly now. You join up, get trained, get two shots off that miss, and then you die!

Not just wounded, dead. No medics in sight either just in case you are wounded. Mind you, the armour is obviously a waste of space.

Moff Gideon. He nasty man. What did he want the blood for I wonder.  As for the CGI face in the last episode. It didn't convince me at all.

Some great bits of kit seen in various episodes. The AT AT crane. That weapons carrier ship they hijack. The Ore trucks really rock (ahem).

Razor Crest is nice too. And I got to see the wing fold on an X wing. Awesome stuff. Nice beasties as well. Oh yes, the black troopers. meh.

Did you know that three actors play the Mandolorian? One has a very famous Grandfather, one of my heroes, and he DID like Westerns! :cowboy:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've loved it.

It's Star Wars, its not meant to be taken seriously....

Look, he's basically Clint Eastwood in space. Roll with it..

That being said, its the best instalment in the franchise since Empire Strikes Back. Definitely superior (and more entertaining) than the last 3 movies imho.

It helps that SWMBO (whos not a Star Wars fan) is also thoroughly into it so we have something to watch together. So much so that the phrase 'this is the way' has become the defacto way to settle any arguments in my household. Usually to my detriment....

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

This is HER way.

Yes but not always. Sometimes I even get to use it to close a discussion. 

However, the uganaut from season one has given her the killer blow to use.

'I have spoken....'

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, Mick4350 said:

Wasn't he Adolf Hitler in last year's JoJo Rabbit ?

Yes. Or rather the 'imaginary-friend-Adolf-Hitler'.

I think he also directed an episode or two.

Edited by roym

7 minutes ago, Beermonster1958 said:

The Stormtroopers are simply no longer funny. I realise that they have to be that way though because that is what the films and TV require of them!

And that empire has disintegrated, and they're now mostly conscripts. Along with the scary Waffen-SS formations, there were plenty of garbage also-ran units, like the cavalry Fegelein (Hitler's brother-in-law, briefly) commanded.

• Like 2

I've been enjoying this from the get-go, and thought the finale of season 2 was excellent, as was the cgi face at the end.  I won't spoil it for anyone, but even Caz's hairs on the back of her neck stood up.  Must get that looked into 🐺

I know it's not art, but it's Star Wars, it's good Star Wars and I loves it :wub:  The universe integration was superb, with loads of little things popping up that harked back to other parts of the universe, which I'm guessing was down to Dave Filoni being involved, as he's the number one SW Ubergeek after George.  I've been watching the behind the scenes shows too, and apart from being a little talky at times round the big table, they also give quite a bit of insight into things, including the effects and intricacies of the story.  The increasing use of those big screens as practical effects for the space flight and other shots is really impressive, and has been on the rise during the sequels and the universe movies too.  It's very effective, especially when we see Mando from below with the stars wheeling round through the cockpit glass. :yes:

• Like 1

I totally loved the whole damn 2 series. It is not very original story telling  but it is some of the best Star wars since Rogue one. The references to Lone wolf and cub is very telling which I find is going to back to original Star wars influences like Kurosawa.  You can see the Japanese influence throughout the whole franchise of Star wars.  Now it is only unoriginal if you are unaware of those influences which I  imagine many younger audiences could be.  I would love to see more of the good stuff like Crimson Dawn story lines and one of my favourite characters Hondo Ohnaka. Space pirates!

The behind the scenes stuff is great and love they actually built studio scale models again for some of the filming. I am sure if they auctioned the crest off they would make a fortune for a charity. 

image-2021-01-04-194413.png

The scope that this opens up hopefully reinvigorates the Star wars universe. Taking a beloved sci-fi opera and making some of it for a more mature audience. 

What's next:

Obi-Wan Kenobi series. Set after the Film Solo and before Rogue One.

The Book of Boba Fett. Set between Jedi and the force awakens just like The Mandolorian.

Ahsoka Set between Jedi and the force awakens just like The Mandolorian. Thrawn storyline in here. 

Rangers of the New Republic Set between Jedi and the force awakens just like The Mandolorian.

It would be too much to ask for if Jon Favreau stayed on for lots more but Dave Filoni for the most part did a good job of the Clones War animation. 

• Like 1

exellent, edge of the seat series. The finale was fantastic, made me feel lime id just seen Return of the Jedi again.  Forget the the last three movies, this is Star Wars.

• Like 1