1/600 RMS Aquitania

Orso

aquitania_00.JPG

As this is the wrong scale for me as I want 1/600 for liners it might seem stupid to buy this kit when there are a 1/600 scale Titanic from Academy.

aquitania_01.JPG
But as I have a saw this kit is just what I need to build RMS Aquitania in 1/600. First I remove 10,3 mm from the hull.

aquitania_02.JPG
After the hull has been put together again more parts were removed. Now I have a hull that has the dimensions wanted.

aquitania_03.JPG
As Aquitania had four propellers while Titanic had three work has to be done to the stern. A piece of thick plastic card was cut

aquitania_04.JPG
and bent in to shape.

aquitania_05.JPG
Glued in to place gives a deeper rear.  A piece of the bottom has been removed. The paper rudder is just there to help me at the next stage of the rebuild.

Edited by Orso
  • Like 11

7 hours ago, Orso said:

As this is the wrong scale for me wanting 1/600 for lines it might seem stupid to buy this kit when there are a 1/600 scale Titanic from Academy.

Gidday Orso, I don't think it is stupid at all. I think it depends on the quality of the kit that should be an important reason as to which kit to build. And there is only 5% difference in size between the two scales. I also like to build in 1/600 scale, all mine being Airfix, but I much preferred the Revell 1/570 Bismarck and Scharnhorst over Airfix's kits of those ships, so those are what I built, all OOB back then.

I'm very interested in your modifications to the kit here, from three screws to four. Regards, Jeff.

I don't understand why I get in to this mess. I have a similar project that has been sleeping for lots of years. That time it was a 1/800 scale Titanic that I started to convert in to a 1/600 scale MS Kungsholm.

aquitania_06.JPG

Well this one isn't t dead (yet)  but it isn't to late for that. Now I need to get some Magic Sculp before I can continue.  I wish that I had a complete Mauretania hull to take the stern from. It would probably heve been less work adapting it that this way. At least I have some details like the propeller shafts from Mauretania that I can use.

Edited by Orso
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Orso said:

It would probably heve been less work adapting it that this way.

Ah, but the satisfaction of your creativity when it is done! Gidday Orso (or do you prefer Bjorn?) I'm still looking forward to seeing this build develop. If the Mauretania's prop shafts don't work out have you considered making your own from styrene rod? I tend to do this now because many of the kits I do have rather average shafts, either not round, have sprue gates in the middle etc. HTH. Regards, Jeff.

Orso or Björn is both OK. Orso  is Italian for bear which is the meaning of my name Björn. I use Orso on forums that don't allow me to register with the dots on the ö.

aquitania_07.JPG

I had a look at the Mauretania prop shaft. The rear ones has the right size for this build while the forward ones are to small. Building them will be the lesser problem of building the stern 😁

aquitania_08.JPG

Among the leftovers of a Mauretania I found the vents. I don't think that there are enough but I will convert one kit into Lusitania and will need to make new vents on it. Then I have the vents from that kit  to use here as well. 

Edited by Orso
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I wonder why I get in to these things.

aquitania_11.JPG
Well. There have to be a first sometime and using this kind of sander on a plastic kit is a first to me.

aquitania_12.JPG 

aquitania_13.JPG 
I was happy with the shape of the stern but then I started to cut out the deck from plastic card and realized that the hull was to wide.

aquitania_14.JPG

aquitania_15.JPG 

I added plastic to the inside of the hull so I would have some material to sand into and went for a very course paper with the sander and once again thought that I had the shape for the hull.

aquitania_16.JPG
But as it turned out I didn't add enough material. It got so thin that it split at the rear so I have to cut some of the deck away to be able to reinforce the hull. Everything looks horrible and will need lot of putty.

• Like 5

GREAT to see this back here and active. 👍

A few months back I was going to start my own Aquitania for the ‘Big and British’ group build but for other reasons, that never happened so I’m very happy to see this here. 

Watching with interest!

Great project. Love the Aquitania, although for me she was slightly lacking in looks compared to her contemporaries- I think the low forecastle and high after 'castle' somewhat unbalances her profile in my opinion. But no doubt an important ship and it is such a shame model manufacturers, even the resin kit makers have all but ignored these liners over the decades.

You've certainly done a very good job of the complex hull form around the stern- it's so characteristic of those Cunarder greyhounds! Good luck with the project!

Will 

Edited by Killingholme
  • Like 1

On 9/15/2022 at 4:00 PM, Orso said:

using this kind of sander on a plastic kit is a first to me.

For me it was the Airfix 1/72 Concorde.

I wish you the best of luck with that stern. I wonder whether you should have carved a completely new hull from wood? It may have been easier.

• 1 month later...

aquitania_17.JPGV

When I removed the deck I discovered it wasn't a crack at all. It was just a large gap between the plastic strips but as it turned out I had to remove the deck anyway. I had been so focused on the shape of the hull that I totally forgot about the lower deck that I had to add. My little motor tool had to work hard to remove enough material inside the hull for a new deck to fit.

aquitania_18.JPG

Now I need to smooth everything out but everything went better than expected.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/1/2022 at 11:29 AM, bootneck said:

I have this book on the Aquitania and I could scan some pages for you, if you want.

Sorry for the late reply. I needed to reach my books to see which one it was that I have. Yours is a different than mine so any pictures that show decks to be able to find out placement of doors and windows are welcome.