Fairey Gannet

Papa4ways

Hi Folks,

I'm in need of some help, and wonder if there's anyone clever enough to do, what I can't, or even give me a step by step guide on how to make Canopies for a Fairey Gannet

The problem is, there is no such thing as spare Canopies for a 1/48 Scale Model Fairey Gannet ASW anymore, and I've been told the only way round it is to make a set, and that's something I simply don't have a clue about, I've been advised that the only way around my problem is to scratch build a replacement from "putty/balsa/card and splunge mould them like the old days", but even though I went through the old days, I never did anything like this, can anyone help me, please

Thanking You, as always in appreciation

Papa4ways

Fred

Long shot, Dynavector supplied two canopy sets with their kit, so it might be worth asking in the 'Wanted' section to see if anyone kept a set. 

Unfortunately I used up both of mine as I had the canopies open.

Which kit are you building?

3 hours ago, 71chally said:

Long shot, Dynavector supplied two canopy sets with their kit, so it might be worth asking in the 'Wanted' section to see if anyone kept a set. 

Unfortunately I used up both of mine as I had the canopies open.

Which kit are you building?

Hi 71chally,

I'm not actually building the Fairey Gannet, what's wrong is, my Wife got a bit upset and over worried while I was in hospital, and to help herself, she did what she termed, a pre Christmas Spring clean, and while she was cleaning, she decided to give some of my kits a dust, and when she dusted down the Gannet, she broke off the front canopies, and to cap it off, while she was looking on the floor for the actual canopies, she stood on them, and, well, I'm now searching for canopies

I'd rigged them iopen, but had built them onto the kit as one unit, and so, when she broke them off, both front canopies fell off as one, the Gannet I've got is the old Classic Airframes Fairey gannet ASW, the three cockpit version, and so, I've got a Gannet with no front canopies, have to say, it looks absolutely lovely, NOT!

My one propblem is, I can't put an advert on the wanted section because I've got less than 100 posts, but thanks so much for a great idea, if only some of the Dynavector builders would read this, I just might get lucky

Thank for the idea, its appreciated

Papa4ways

Fred

• Like 1

Is there any possibility you could reglue the canopy pieces together, then smooth them off to give you a former for a plunge mould, vac form style?  I did that years back when I did what your wife di - stood on what I was looking for !

It took a while to get something good enough to use, and some trials to find a suitable source of 'clear' plastic. 

There's a possibility I could help you out with my spare if I still have it.  Leave it with me, but given my terrible memory, you might want to give me a nudge tomorrow :)

You weren't overtly asking for something, so this isn't really a Wanted thread and it's a good job, as you're a bit short of the 100 posts needed.  Just beware of that in future in case you get the urge to Want something before you reach your hundred :yes:

On 04/11/2020 at 12:01, John B (Sc) said:

Is there any possibility you could reglue the canopy pieces together, then smooth them off to give you a former for a plunge mould, vac form style?  I did that years back when I did what your wife di - stood on what I was looking for !

It took a while to get something good enough to use, and some trials to find a suitable source of 'clear' plastic. 

Sorry to be so long in getting back to you, but I suffered a bit more problems with the food poisoning and was back in hospital for a couple of days.

Anyway, I wished I could have glued the bits together again, but the silly moo threw the bits in the bin, when she told me what she had done, it was my first thought, to glue them together, but then she told me she'd thrown them out, I know what I wanted to say, but then i thought, I do enjoy peace and quiet

Thanks anyway John.

Take Care

On 04/11/2020 at 21:13, Mike said:

There's a possibility I could help you out with my spare if I still have it.  Leave it with me, but given my terrible memory, you might want to give me a nudge tomorrow :)

You weren't overtly asking for something, so this isn't really a Wanted thread and it's a good job, as you're a bit short of the 100 posts needed.  Just beware of that in future in case you get the urge to Want something before you reach your hundred :yes:

Hi Mike,

Yes, thanks for the advice about the 100 posts, I've already landed myself in hot water trying to post in the wanted threads, and so, I think under the circumstances, I've been let off this time

By the way, I'm still searching for canopies, nudge nudge

13 hours ago, Papa4ways said:

By the way, I'm still searching for canopies, nudge nudge

Nudge taken.  Bear with me while I track her down and see if I have a spare canopy still :)

Hi Folks,

I got some great news this morning, a parcel arrived this morning, containing a full set of Canopies for my Fairey Gannet, and they were supplied FREE OF CHARGE from Hannants, they simply asked for my address, and told me one of the Sales Managers had found a set, and they sent them to me, you've no idea just how happy Hannants have made me, and just how relieved my Wife is, THANK YOU HANNANTS

• Like 8

Hi Shaun,

Has the Postman not made it to you yet, or is the Customs People playing funny, after all, the Wife did post it first class, to try and prevent really bad snail mail

Fred

Hi Fred

Nothing has arrived yet but don't worry as I am sure it will fairly soon.  International mail ( and domestic mail for that matter) is very unpredictable at the moment!

It is really great news that the gentleman from Hannants has found you a set...must be the good karma from you offering me the Jag and Mosquito canopies!!

Take care of yourself Fred

Cheers

Shaun