Like I need another project.....................P-51B, B6*W, 363FS, 357FG

BlueNosers352nd

Not that I need another project.  Need to get the current pigs (HobbyBoss F4F-3 and Mig 17F) off the bench.   But was looking through one of my P-51 Books and saw this bird.  Would be interesting.  DDay stripe removal ate away at the paint?  Only picture I've found of it.  Wonder if the wings have a similar issue?

So many cool subjects, so little time!

media-19436.jpeg?itok=B7KaI-l1

http://www.americanairmuseum.com/person/83437

1 minute ago, Graham Boak said:

I suspect glare, look at the others for comparison.  Plus possibly an elderly airframe.  Normally there's be fresh paint over the stripes.

Forward of B6 I would agree, but all around the Stars n Bars it looks like it's worn down........to me.

References I found stated that the photo was taken in the spring of 1944, and that the Mustang was flown by the group commander, Col. Donald Graham; this Mustang was badly damaged in a taxying accident on April 25, 1944, so if the photo caption and history are correct, the photo posted was most likely taken before invasion stripes were applied beginning on June 4th.

Mike

• Like 1

Definitely before D-Day. It still has the white nose, not chequered (but this may be an optical illusion due to over-exposure), the white rudder stripe, and the old-style grey drop tanks. The aluminium panel lines may be a left-over from the repairs, or any other maintenance chipping.

• Like 1

Interesting as it's early enough for the 357th still to have the white nose and tail band, but late enough for Graham's aircraft to have the new Malcolm hood.

Justin

Edited by Bedders

1 hour ago, Bedders said:

but late enough for Graham's aircraft to have the new Malcolm hood.

Makes sense, as I have read that the Malcolm hoods were installed in the field on USAAF Mustangs, with squadron/group leaders and PR aircraft having priority, as the supply did not permit  fitting to all B/Cmodels.

Mike

This picture was taken in the spring of 1944, before the group applied the yellow and red checkerboard.

The worn look of that plane is because of the removal of the protective cocoon used when the planes were shipped by sea, it was done using gasoline, but usually the paint job stayed pretty much intact.

EYirXq6.jpg

QxPXI5Y.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, silberpferd said:

This picture was taken in the spring of 1944, before the group applied the yellow and red checkerboard.

The worn look of that plane is because of the removal of the protective cocoon used when the planes were shipped by sea, it was done using gasoline, but usually the paint job stayed pretty much intact

Don't light a match!