Stash Clearance #4. Yet Another Lancaster but slightly different

My mojo for things japanese was flagging so halfway thru a kit (yet to appear here) I saw this one on the shelf in the man cave and thought why not?

This is the 2nd moulding of the 1/72 Airfix Lancaster. The mould itself dates from 1979 with this particular kit a 1983 boxing. Built OOB, it was excellent for its time, accurate, good fit and easy to build, but nowadays we would criticise its lack of internal detail, an almost complete lack of panel lines, and a lack of finesse and sharpness with some of the parts being obvious and not very good approximations of the real thing. 

Having been in a box doing sterling work as roof insulation for over 30 years unsurprisingly the decals were shot. Their disintegration into a million pieces is easily resolved with decal film but the habitual silvering was not. Gloss varnishing, MicroSol/Set, firmly pressing down, puncturing with a needle after application and filling said punctures with decal setting solution-nothing worked. So I acquired a set of Techmod decals from Hannants for a 300 (Polish) Sqn machine. They worked well but were very thin so curled up at the slightest chance. Techmod also seem to have a problem with British Red as it was much too...well...red when it should be reddish brown.

Paints were all brushed Humbrol enamels, 29/116 and a 50:50 mix of 21/29 for Night ( I know Night is supposed to be a very dark blue but that mixture just looks right to me). The camo. pattern was done freehand. 

Weathering, particularly the exhaust stains, was with Tamiya powders.

No aerial wires on this one as, despite my best endeavours, I could not get them to stay in place. I'm also not sure if cable cutters were moulded onto the leading edges of the wings on this mould but whatever, they're not there now.

So, after the obligatory box art and instructions shot, the photos. Any comments and criticisms welcome.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, J Sherratt said:

Looks good to me, nice work - John

Thank you

3 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Another nice Lancaster in the thread today.👍

Thank you

34 minutes ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Great job!

I like to see the Airfix oldies getting built. This one's a beaut 😀

Very kind. Thank you.

• Like 1

This prove the rule that all models can be build to nice representations of real things. 

Those old molds have some specific, nostalgic spirit, and for sure when done like this really worth a lot.

Regards

Djordje

4 hours ago, djos said:

This prove the rule that all models can be build to nice representations of real things. 

Those old molds have some specific, nostalgic spirit, and for sure when done like this really worth a lot.

Regards

Djordje

Indeed but some need a lot more work than others. This builds nicely from the box, others...don't. To get this one to near modern standards requiring a complete rescribe and a scratch built interior would be weeks of work for an expert, though in my case months!

19 hours ago, SAT69 said:

Well done!

Thank you.

3 hours ago, Wulfman said:

Lovely Lanc !

Wulfman

Thank you

2 hours ago, swralph said:

Lovely looking model.

Thank you though I have to say these photos are the exception to the rule that says they exaggerate faults; these photos flatter  the model. Nevertheless the exhaust staining is not really shown accurately, in real life it is much more pronounced

Still the best version of the Lancaster regarding being accurate in shape combined with simplicity of construction, In my opinion.

One always has the opportunity to add internal detail . . .

You have carried out a good build there and it certainly looks like a Lancaster . . . for me, I prefer a none gloss finish.

3 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

Still the best version of the Lancaster regarding being accurate in shape combined with simplicity of construction, In my opinion.

One always has the opportunity to add internal detail . . .

You have carried out a good build there and it certainly looks like a Lancaster . . . for me, I prefer a none gloss finish.

So do I and, despite appearances, it is finished with Humbrol Satin varnish as I also dont like a matte finish unless there is  photographic evidence for it. Western Desert aircraft are often matte but most other theatres show a sheen.

The only gloss are the prop blades and thats only because, in the rush to finish, I forgot to do it. Easily sorted if I can be bothered.

• 1 month later...