Just a quick snap to show that I've made a start.

P1110753.JPG

It's a rare treat for me to make a modern kit, so I'm enjoying the nice detail and the precise fit of the parts.

I was particularly impressed by the 'flattened' sprue connection points, which Revell have used in key areas like the wings' trailing edges.  They come come away very cleanly.  These are probably 'old hat' to most of you, but it's the first time that I've come across them ;)

Less impressive though, is that once assembled, the trailing edges are actually pretty thick.  It's a small gripe though.

Cheers

• Like 4

Cliff,

Yeah. I hadn't come across these sort of sprue gates before, and I know what you mean about the trailing edges. I've decided to live with the trailing edges because I didn't want to get into any panel line re-scribing malarkey. On the other hand, if I had thinned out the wing trailing edges on the inside, I think the fit at the wing roots would likely have been better/easier.

Alan

• Like 1

On 05/11/2020 at 06:26, CliffB said:

I was particularly impressed by the 'flattened' sprue connection points,

I was particularly unimpressed with them, I didn't find them particularly easy to deal with. The traditional gates were dead easy to snip off with cutters, whereas these gates had to be very carefully aligned to ensure the cut wasn't on the part, the closeness of the thick sprue running parallel to the cut tending to push the cutters away from the intended cut line and onto the part itself.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

I was particularly unimpressed with them, I didn't find them particularly easy to deal with. The traditional gates were dead easy to snip off with cutters, whereas these gates had to be very carefully aligned to ensure the cut wasn't on the part, the closeness of the thick sprue running parallel to the cut tending to push the cutters away from the intended cut line and onto the part itself.

No need for cutters Dave, just run a blade along the edge of the part.  The sprue's so thin there, it parts easily with virtually no clean-up required.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Angus Tura said:

Yeah. I hadn't come across these sort of sprue gates before, and I know what you mean about the trailing edges. I've decided to live with the trailing edges because I didn't want to get into any panel line re-scribing malarkey. On the other hand, if I had thinned out the wing trailing edges on the inside, I think the fit at the wing roots would likely have been better/easier.

Thanks Alan.  Yes, I decided to leave well alone too.  I'm expecting to use some Perfect Plastic Putty on those wing roots!

Some more progress to report - the cockpit is finished and some lead weight fitted too (some above the wheel bay and some beneath the rear instrument panel).

P1110760.JPG

Cheers

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Still moving forward slowly as time permits.

As others have found, the clear parts in this kit are quite poor (particularly the front section in my case).  They're on now though and masked ready for spraying.

spacer.png

As you'll notice, I'm also painting a dividing line across the canopy where the internal screen is.  I'm not sure how this area actually works on a Hawk, but on photos of my subject aircraft it does look like it's painted externally :hmmm:

Cheers

19 hours ago, CliffB said:

As you'll notice, I'm also painting a dividing line across the canopy where the internal screen is.  I'm not sure how this area actually works on a Hawk, but on photos of my subject aircraft it does look like it's painted externally :hmmm:

It's both internal and external Cliff. There's a fine internal light grey edging to both sections of the canopy (presumably bonding/sealing the canopy section to the frame) and a broader light cream external strip between the canopy sections (presumably covering a small gap between the two canopy sections). This can be seen on these two photo's borrowed from the walkround section

GJ-Hawk-008.JPG

The%20Red%20Arrows-0326.JPG

11 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

It's both internal and external Cliff.

Thanks Dave, that's really helpful - exactly what is was seeing, albeit from further away.  I really must remember to make use of the walkround section!

Cheers

• Like 1

With the clock ticking, I've started to apply the decals.  There's quite a lot to do, as the Xtracedal sheet is pretty comprehensive and many of the decals have a white background that needs to be applied first.

I just couldn't resist starting with the 'bullseye' :winkgrin:

spacer.png

I don't think that the decals were specifically designed for this kit, so there's a bit of trimming still to do around the wheel bays and a few bits that will need touching in with a paint brush. Overall though, I'm really pleased with the result.  It took a while (and much Micro Sol), to get the decals to conform to the belly contours, but it all worked out in the end.

Cheers

• Like 1

• CliffB changed the title to Bullseye! +++ Finished+++