Correct identification for A-20G "La France Libre"

Sydhuey

I was doing research on A-20's as I do and came across an anomaly, the famous A-20G 43-9224 'La France Libre" marked on every model and decal sheet and in books as 5H-E of the 668th BS should in fact be F6-E of the 670th BS, all reference material refer to it as 5H-E of the 668th BS 416 BG , except the 416th BG web page and mission logs they refer to it as F6-E of the 670th BS, amazing how literally everything else has a different Sqn ID to the the web page of the actual unit that operated it. Does anyone have an actual photo of the side with Sqn codes and serial to confirm .

I find it interesting that such a historically significant aircraft has been misidentified for so long in so many mediums, models , decals, books.

Text from 670th history sheets 24 Oct 44.

Technical Sergeant Everts' A-20 Havoc #224, "Miss Laid", was first in the ETO to complete one-hundred missions. Never once during these one-hundred missions was the plane forced to return because of mechanical failure. The original engines that powered "Miss Laid" on the first mission on 3 March 1944 against an enemy held airdrome at Poix, France were still in use on the 100th mission, never having been changed. The 100th mission was an attack on the Duren marshalling yards on 6 October 1944. Old "Miss Laid" was repainted and renamed "La France Libre" and dedicated to represent the unity and good will between our country and the new French nation. Captain Monroe, and Staff Sergeants Kidd and Risko, who had flown 224 on its first mission, and most of the one-hundred missions, took part in the ceremony. Technical Sergeant Royal S. Everts, crew chief, who had cared for the plane through its 100 missions and was primarily responsible for its remarkable record, also participated. The ceremony was attended by French and American dignitaries. MMe Monique Rolland, the beautiful French actress, christianed "La France Libre". Brigadier General Strahm, Ninth Air Force Chief of Staff, dedicated the planes's future

missions to the French Nation and People. General Martial Valin, Commanding General of the French Air Force, and Charles Tillon, French Minister of Air, accepted the dedication for the French people and spoke over a world hook-up, speaking of the ceremony as a "symbol of the fraternity of our two nations." General Duncan, General Backus, and Colonel Aylesworth also participated in the ceremony.(See Exhibits attached.).

• Like 1

Syd,

Attached is the closest I have. One can see the first digit of the code 'F' under the wing root. They carried the sqn codes to the front going by other photos so it should not be the individual letter that we can see.spacer.png

Steve

Edited by Hornet133

Thanks Steve , that does look like a F not a 5, so I was right , all the Model , Decal and Book references as 5H-E are wrong, it is F6-E.