'plane stuck in my brain.....

Bozothenutter

anybody old enough to remember this kit?

P-40 (might have been large intake)

Olive green plastic, heavily riveted, raised panel lines and raised lines for national markings.

Might have been 1/48, but I was <10 then so everything was bigger.

must have been around '70-'79

dreamed about it the other day and has been stuck in my brain ever since.......even bought a Bronco -C (sucker for sharkmouths)

• Like 2

Might it be the Revell incarnation of the P40E in 1/32?

I remember having build this kit when I was a kid, and it having a lot of structure on it. Highlight for me was the possibility to retract the wheels, where I learned about the turn-mechanism of the P40 wheels. Me had the boxing with John Belushi on it, so I guess it was tight in the merchandise for Stephen Spielbergs "1941". Hope it's ok if I post the scalemate link here? https://www.scalemates.com/de/kits/revell-4103-p-40-flying-tiger--941436

This was 79, but there have been other boxings earlier as well. 

Might be something totally different than your childhood kit, but this is one that at least I remember quite strong.

• Like 2

been looking, and I think I found it!

1956 AURORA CURTISS WARHAWK P-40 FLYING TIGER 1:48 COMPLETE KIT # 44!-69 KB 50F

pics are a bit dark, but I see sharkmouth lines on the intake...

more pics:

spacer.png

mine was  OD though, not silver 

Edited by Bozothenutter

On 10/30/2020 at 12:44 PM, Bozothenutter said:

but 1/32 would have boon to expensive then, and no insignia on the outside.

I can remember this was quite cheap, pocket-money compatible, so to say. I couldn't have afforded it elsewhise myself. 😉

Never seen the Aurora-kit before, those molded-in insignia look, well, "interesting". But for 56 (if that's true) quite ok, I'd say. Not talking about accuracy, of course, or that the Flying Tigers had chinese insignia, not stars.

But wasn't Aurora the company with the famous prehistoric scenes? I remember I had one of these as a kid, a rhino sinking in a tarpit with a vulture waiting on a nearby tree. It's lost now, but when I was twenty or so, I thought that the vulture would make a great hood ornament on my first car, a ratty opel Kadett. Never realised it, though...

😄

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chief Cohiba said:

I can remember this was quite cheap, pocket-money compatible, so to say. I couldn't have afforded it elsewhise myself. 😉

Never seen the Aurora-kit before, those molded-in insignia look, well, "interesting". But for 56 (if that's true) quite ok, I'd say. Not talking about accuracy, of course, or that the Flying Tigers had chinese insignia, not stars.

But wasn't Aurora the company with the famous prehistoric scenes? I remember I had one of these as a kid, a rhino sinking in a tarpit with a vulture waiting on a nearby tree. It's lost now, but when I was twenty or so, I thought that the vulture would make a great hood ornament on my first car, a ratty opel Kadett. Never realised it, though...

😄

i remember playing with it a lot!

unpainted, and the decals fell off....

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Bozothenutter said:

i remember playing with it a lot!

unpainted, and the decals fell off....

That was the time, when kits where meant to be toys, and not an activity package for hobby historians like us, spending days of creating wood structure in 1/72, that can't be distingueshed from real when pictured... 😄

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/30/2020 at 11:56 AM, Bozothenutter said:

been looking, and I think I found it!

1956 AURORA CURTISS WARHAWK P-40 FLYING TIGER 1:48 COMPLETE KIT # 44!-69 KB 50F

pics are a bit dark, but I see sharkmouth lines on the intake...

more pics:

spacer.png

mine was  OD though, not silver 

First time I have seen this.

:wow: