BAFO Mosquito squadrons at Wahn 1947, magazine article?

Kari Lumppio

Hello!

I do remember there was some years ago an article in some magazine about the four (?) post war Mosquito VI squadrons at Wahn 1947? I have gone through all my Model Aircraft Monthlys, the prime "suspect" for this kind of articles and also Aircraft Airfix Magazines. In vain.

Does anyone remember such article and what magazine it was?

At the same go one further question: does anyone have the Order of Battle of the 10 BAFO squadrons in 1947:  one Spitfire, 2 Tempest V, 3 Tempest II (16, 26 and 33?) and 4 Mosquito squadrons (21?, 107? 4?)

Thanks in advance,

Kari

Edited by Kari Lumppio

Talking to myself here...

Found a smaller stash of Military Aircraft Monthlys and bingo!  If someone else is interested the article I was looking for was Paul Lucas Airfile 22 "Mosquito FB.6 Post War Front Line RAF Service 1946-1950" In MAM Vol 9 Issue 2, February 2010.

The 10 BAFO squadrons in 1947:  2 sqn Spitfire FRXIV / XIX, 3 sqn and 80 sqn Tempest V, 16 sqn, 26 sqn and 33 sqn Tempest II and 4 sqn, 21 sqn,  98 sqn and 107 sqn Mosquito. The article in question has photos and profiles for 4, 21, and 107 squadrons, the 4 sqn Mosquitos carrying the later UP (?) codes instead of NC.

Edit 605 sqn had code UP and was renumbered as 4 sqn Septmeber 1945 so was NC used by 4 sqn at all (as rafweb.org has it)??

Cheers,

Kari

Edited by Kari Lumppio
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As you note 605 was coded UP until 31 August 1945 when it was renumbered 4 squadron. From 1 Sept 1945 4 squadron continued to use the UP code on Mosquitos and Vampires through until 1951.

Now for the confusing bit. "Combat Codes" by Flintham & Thomas has a listing for 4 squadron with an NC code carried from an unknown date until August 1945. It gives Mosquito VI SZ980/NC-K as an example. The only other wartime listing for an NC code was in the Med on L-4 aircraft of the 347th FA Battalion of the 91st US Infantry Division, which didn't return to the US until Dec 1945. No postwar use seems to have been made of that code.

So from that it appears that 4 squadron began to receive new Mosquito FB.VI, which it coded NC, alongside its Spitfire XI. BUT Halley's Squadrons of the RAF makes no mention of such equipment. Odd. Perhaps the squadron ORB available free of charge from The National Archives might throw some more light on this.

Incidentally 4, 21 and 107 operated the Mosquito FB.VI postwar but 98 converted from the Mitchell II/III to Mosquito B.XVI in Nov 1945 before getting B.35 in Aug 1948.

Hello!

EwenS, noticed your reply just when I was having a sip of red and starting to read the 4 Sqn ORB I downloaded earlier today! Unfortunately the ORB (starting from Jan 1st, 1946) does not give any examples of codes or such (up to end of 1947). The diary entries from 1946 clearly show 605 Sqn heritage was still in force and at least not any change of codes was recorded. So UP it was?

4 Sqn moved from Gutersloh to Wahn not until November 13th 1947 "Showing the Mark 16 people how seven aircraft should fly together". The underlining in the original ORB, too. Only 98 Squadron had XVI Mosquitos then?

Little earlier (4.-6.10.1947) 4 Sqn had taken part in the International Air Meeting at Geneva, Switzerland. They performed  7-ship single engine flypast among other things. I found one  digitized Swiss newspaper article with photo of that, sadly very blurred and black&white (Journal de Genève, Lundi 6 Octobre 1947). There might be more photos of the event available somewhere?

The 4 Sqn ORB is good read, especially early 1946, but there is not much for the modeller.

Cheers,

Kari

PS I wonder where 14 Sqn places itself on this BAFO thing? RAF Historical Society Journal 22A gives only 10 squadrons for BAFO 1947. 14 Sqn would be the 11th.

Edited by Kari Lumppio

128 squadron with Mossie B.XVI in the Light Night Striking Force moved from Wyton to the continent in Sept 1945 and renumbered as 14 squadron on 1 April 1946. At that point it was at Wahn. So yes, seemingly 7 Mossie squadrons at the start of 1947.

But 21 squadron disbanded on 7 Nov 1947. So by the end of 1947, the number was down to 6.

so I suppose it depends on which point in the year you pick.

Hello!

Thanks EwenS,. You cleared the matter of number of squadrons. Not yet gone into the 21 Sqn ORB

From 4 Sqn ORB 30.12.48. "... At the same time we bade farewell to "G" GEORGE, TA.540, which has flown all its hours in the Squadron. We hope the new "G" will be as good as an aircraft as the old one."

MAM Vol 9 Iss 2 article has photo and profile for UP-G TA540.

Cheers,

Kari

Hello!!

107 Sqn ORB throws a spanner towards the MAM article's profile of OM-O TA581 (red codes and spinners)

"18.11.47 ... our spinners (aircraft) were scrapped (Sic!, KL) prior to their first coat of green, which is to be the new Squadron colour."

Is that what is happening in the opening photo of the MAM article? From the caption: "... spinners of the 21 Sqn aircraft in the foreground with polished natural metal tips..."

107 Sqn ORB

"21.11.47 ... The letters were painted green on some (same?, KL) aircraft."

Combining 107 ORB with data of Mosquito fates (Mark Huxtable's Excel-file found by googling) following serial/code combinations can be made:

VL729  "K"  9.1.48 Istres

HR338 "B" 15.4..48 Wahn

RS697 "Y" 14.6.48 Gatow

Perhaps this is of interest for others. At least serves as record for myself, better than post-it label somewhere.

Cheers,

Kari

• 4 months later...

Further to add with regard to 4 Squadron. I've found photos of two aircraft - no sign of serials, but one was coded UP-F - in overall Aluminium dope with the glossy post war roundels. The latter was a formation shot, the former has several aircraft taxiing out from the hangars, all being in the Med Sea Grey over Night scheme.

Plus a pair of photos have turned up on eBay of TA539 with what appears to be black painted undercarriage.