Building the 1/72 AZ models DH Hornet

2 hours ago, gunzo said:

As things stand, I'm going along the lines of a new seat attachment bar and the photographer's 'hand hold' being one and the same.

Slight digression; I'm awaiting copy of a Canadian Aviation Historical Society article which seems to quote camera operator John Duffin having seen leaking glycol from the 'port observation window' on its (to date) final flight.

Les

Hi Les,

If you look at images of GF-GUO/TT193 you will see the side camera ports in the rear fuselage. Without the service cameras fitted, the observer can see out of these.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, gunzo said:

I thought there was a full bulkhead between the cockpit/ammo  and fuselage bays. If not, the camera operator could conceivably have slid between them?

Les

Hi Les,

Bulkhead 3 separates the rear fuselage from the front. It's inline with the rear spar. It has a removable section to access the radio equipment.

Above the wing can be found bulkhead 2, sometimes known as the draft bulkhead. 

Hi David- from that and from what I'm getting from Canadian sources, the location of the vertical camera port still seems a toss-up. Your earlier logic was sound especially on CofG issues,  but heresay to date suggests somewhere in the rear bay 'in line with the flaps' (which to me indicates the hatch). Oh for a period belly shot!

Les

9 minutes ago, gunzo said:

Hi David- from that and from what I'm getting from Canadian sources, the location of the vertical camera port still seems a toss-up. Your earlier logic was sound especially on CofG issues,  but heresay to date suggests somewhere in the rear bay 'in line with the flaps' (which to me indicates the hatch). Oh for a period belly shot!

Les

The hatch is the other logical proven position. However, it could also be just ahead of bulkhead 3. The Hornet has two opening panels beneath the wing. Maybe the rear one housed the camera?

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

For those interested in modelling accuracy, after a lot of searching the correct Spinner diameter can be confirmed for the de Havilland Hornet and Sea Hornet.

At the backing plate of the spinner, the Diameter is 29.375" (746.125mm) and the Length is 28" (711.2mm)

Comparing these dimensions to the AZ 1/72 model spinners:

Diameter = 9.41mm (10.36mm)

Length = 9.7mm (9.6mm)

Comparing these dimensions to the CA 1/48 model spinners:

Diameter = 14.6mm (15.5mm)

Length = 13.4mm (14.3mm)

So, both kits have spinners that are slightly undersize, but only by less than 1mm in the model scales.

DH Hornet SPINNER dimensions

Edited by David A Collins
  • Like 4

• 2 months later...

RE: the PR2

On 02/12/2020 at 20:34, David A Collins said:

Of note, are the kit decals. Although I chose to finish this in the scheme of PX216, only the serials and letter R were used. The fuselage roundel and fin flash are undersize, so larger examples from an Special Hobby kit were used instead.

I missed this and just found it out for myself. I think the wing roundels are too big as well. A really poor effort by AZmodels, roundel sizes are not difficult to find out or discern from photos, the fin flashes are almost half the correct size. 

Anyway I've found this thread very useful for my mashup of the AZ and SH kits with Aerocraft engines thrown in for good measure.

Edited by JamesP
  • Like 1

• ththtttu7 changed the title to Building the 1/72 AZ models DH Hornet