Revell 1:350 Tirpitz Platinum Edition

Pigpen

Right folks here goes, my first Work In Progress. Partly because I am in need of support and advice and partly because I would appreciate, if not approbation, at least some acknowledgment of my efforts! I get precious little at home, even the cat won’t sit in the modelling boxes….

I had my first stalled build in the summer of last year. An Airfix 1:48 Lynx HMA8 with the Eduard Big Ed aftermarket that is almost done but I just couldn’t face the masking of the main rotors.

I decided I’d build simple kits out of the box from then on and did a Tamiya 1:48 Skyraider followed by a 1:72 Modelcollect wheeled missile launcher thing.

I’m now a bit stuck in my current build doing everything to avoid a particular task and I’m hoping some encouragement might help.

So here we are the Revell 1:350 Platinum Edition. It is OOB, just a particularly big box and quite a lot of parts. 2190 parts.

8770f20c-3184-44e8-8900-8469547c10e4.jpg

And because I got my wife to give it to me for Christmas last year it’s got to be built. I do enjoy building more than I enjoy painting so I’ve really being enjoying this simple build.

Oh sorry no, not so simple. Like an idiot I did some research and stumbled across a series of videos, now up to eleven, by some chap named Ebroin.

I mean seriously, what this bloke is doing is ridiculous. What he does with Magic Sculpt can only be as a result of some Faustian pact.

And then I got hold of the 3D Super Drawings Book. That’s a lot of detail to obsess over.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Battleship-Tirpitz-Super-Drawings-3D/dp/8364596691

Oh and some White Ensign KMS portholes and hatches.

https://www.whiteensignmodels.com/p/WEM+1350+Kriegsmarine+Portholes+Doors+PE+35079/5285/#.X5tGHoj7RPY

But what scheme? Well obviously this one.

07_tp_june_42_camo_G_starboard_big.gif

No stop it that’s silly. This one, as I said I'm not a painter. Only it needs the kit to be backdated a little.....

04_tp_january_42_camo_D_starboard_big.gi

That backdating is going to be a bit of a punt in the dark so I’m setting out my stall right now; it’s going to be a detailed model but not necessarily an accurate model.

But before I start I’m easily 6 months into the build but it’s not that far given how little time I get to model. Is it acceptable to start a WIP this far in?

Edited by Pigpen
  • Like 3

This is the strange thing Jerry, that's the attitude I've gone in with but it's getting bogged down in the detail that I seem to be enjoying. I've accepted that bits will be good and other bits less so and I'm just along for the ride! 

I think I've given myself permission to both try and fail as well as succeed. Quite liberating.

On 10/29/2020 at 11:02 PM, Pigpen said:

it’s going to be a detailed model but not necessarily an accurate model.

Exactly what I'm doing, very slowly, with my 1/200 Iowa, it will be fully detailed but not necessarily accurate for any given point in time...

Great to see another Revell Tirpitz build. I've used ebroins videos for a lot of my changes on mine. Some of the changes I wouldn't see so haven't done them. 

The WEM portholes are quite small but the MK1 portholes are better if you can find them. My last set I had to get from Germany. The inifini portholes (water tight door set,) are hard to get too. You will need between 3 and 4 sets as there isn't many in the set. The book is great for info on where all things are as the kit has many portholes and walls in incorrect places.

Good luck with your build

Chris

5 hours ago, magpie1832 said:

Great to see another Revell Tirpitz build. I've used ebroins videos for a lot of my changes on mine. Some of the changes I wouldn't see so haven't done them. 

The WEM portholes are quite small but the MK1 portholes are better if you can find them. My last set I had to get from Germany. The inifini portholes (water tight door set,) are hard to get too. You will need between 3 and 4 sets as there isn't many in the set. The book is great for info on where all things are as the kit has many portholes and walls in incorrect places.

Good luck with your build

Chris

I've just been "auditing" the portholes on the first deck of the superstructure (sorry to all mateloes, I don't know the correct terminology)  and around a third of  them need to be filled, moved or drilled. What I have noticed it that some are correct on the wrong side. Of course this assumes it's not the 3D plans that are wrong..... I have rationalised this by not building a model of the tirpitz but a model  of the 3D Super Drawings Book.

• 3 weeks later...

Well this is certainly not getting bogged down in details. The area around the prop shafts has a complex shape and I guess this is the only way it could be moulded, at least at reasonable cost. Marker pen used to highlight seams to sand down to. Removed the porthole's "eyebrows" to replace later.

1fd6b791-0818-416b-ad3a-e274728ae20f.JPG

6b78ffbf-b181-4800-bb1a-fb0538beba4e.JPG

9572e24b-a411-4f67-b15c-a2c9d6fe1db9.JPG

As you can see below quite industrial levels of filler needed

5f5497ed-81f3-41b4-abd3-48b7b18c0a48.JPG

But sanded and primed ends up as quite a reasonable result...

90a0b31d-4ae1-416e-9eb5-8529521de111.JPG

e583fbe3-bf80-450c-8309-38412626b58b.JPG

Strip across the keel is courtesy of Ebroin's videos. I've been using metal files on this, and it's actually possible to get a finessed result before you work down to sanding sticks.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...