1/72 Fujimi Phantom FGR2 29 Squadron RAF Coningsby 1983

spacer.png

This is the Fujimi Phantom FGR2 kit in the markings of XT909/M of 29(F) Squadron, RAF Coningsby, 1983.  Here's the photo of the real thing that I used as reference: http://www.aviationphotocompany.com/p934046062/h24ee0a25#h24ee0a25.      XT909's history is recorded on this page: http://www.thephantomshrine.co.uk/hist.htm.  Sadly, she was scrapped in 1992.

I built it as part of group build of aircraft flown by a fellow modeller.   In his logbook, he has flights in XT909 on May 5th, 24th and Jun 6th ‘83.  So I am reasonably sure this is the scheme she was wearing at that time.   She was a twin-stick F-4 and often used by the squadron to check out pilots newly arrived from the OCU.

The Fujimi kit went together beautifully.  I only needed filler in one spot at the lower edge of the port intake.   I replaced the exhausts with the Aeroclub ones.  They are really for the Mbox kit and a tiny bit too large but I prefer them to the ones in the kit.  The decals are from Modeldecal sheet 65 with a homemade letter "M' for the fin.   Don't look for the stencils, I am not into them so very few have been applied.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Comments and suggestions welcomed.

David

• Like 21

1 minute ago, Graeme H said:

Lovely build, if I had one criticism, it would be the lack of Pilots 

They are in there, Graham.  I had to use slightly undersized ones to get them to fit the seats.

David

Great build. Nice to see 29 squadron as you don't see one modelled very often. I love the Fujimi phantoms...in my opinion sightly better than the new Airfix ones...simpler build and panel lines not quite so prominent. Great result from your example 👍👍

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, binbrook87 said:

Great build. Nice to see 29 squadron as you don't see one modelled very often. I love the Fujimi phantoms...in my opinion sightly better than the new Airfix ones...simpler build and panel lines not quite so prominent. Great result from your example 👍👍

5 minutes ago, Starfighter said:

Excellent build, David=, and probably more accurate than the Airfix offering !  :worms:

Thanks, gents.  I don't have the Airfix one so I can only comment based on what I have read and seen on the web.   It looks like, as with many modern moulds, there's too many parts for my taste and, after all the comments made over the years about the MBox trench-digger, I find some modern moulds have panel lines a la diecast and a bit too prominent for my taste on a new mould.   I am sure others love them and I am happy for them.  

David

• Like 1