Tamiya 1/35 Sd.Kfz 222

Watto64

So here goes with my second AFV after my prolonged return to the modelling world!  This time it's going to be the Tamiya 1/35 Sd.Kfz 222, and in the same vein as my first foray (the Horch 4x4 1a) it's going to be decked out in DAK colouring.

y4m5xzxr3NXXyMHFoWoqG4G05IP-ETp7HKBLEEgR

As usual, the Tamiya kits are well packaged, well moulded and parts are a good fit.  So onward and upwards, tonights efforts have seen the hull and drive components going together

y4mPReZroWab93TWFwI55htQRSF_MQr-704qitPf

I have not fitted the hatches yet as I have not decided whether to model it with the hatches closed or open as yet...

y4m0YrqVmGUm9dmkZcGw5lgyovg1OA83CkLhObrG

It's going to need a primer before I add the Desert Yellow...

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Tag along if you don't mind, can't really go wrong with the big "T".

Always puts me in mind of Herr Grubers little tank, Hubert!

Good luck

There's an idea for a diorama......Hubert outside Cafe Rene!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Base and chassis completed and primed

y4m175ho7ekmqccxBJnx0-mqFWp0-Cba4xK2H6dY

Top hull and wheels primed

y4mj0KOJ6yAobojqqCMVu9BqVD1g5BNc9uTEm2qz

y4m9FYBu_UNGIilWIZEyIw8KAInVerixKinSZFrV

Next step is to assemble gun - aiming to to do this tomorrow when she who must be obeyed is at work!! 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Todays progress......

.....kwk30 done (looking at it reminded of Star Wars, don't know why)

y4mxGpRzmWAEzKEe4ZsZ24cdwLNUg1lgqB576Ezb

Dry run of hull, turret and Kwk together....looking ready for full assembly

y4mUakJcmRAfF9KTOqNasegGOg6Ez2Bl4zB2inDR

spacer.png

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Jasper dog said:

Looking good, was the metal barrel supplied by Tamiya, looking forward to seeing it with a little Gruber.

Atb

Yes the barrel was one of the photo etch parts in the box.   As I'm still picking up the reins again, my builds are going to be OOB.  Learning the dark arts of washes, weathering and pigments is enough 😬 Although I do intend to add some of my own extras to this baby.....I've been practising making tarps out of 2 ply tissue and they have come out reasonably well and also was going to try and make some 'packs' from 2 part epoxy.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Watto64 said:

Yes the barrel was one of the photo etch parts in the box.   As I'm still picking up the reins again, my builds are going to be OOB.  Learning the dark arts of washes, weathering and pigments is enough 😬 Although I do intend to add some of my own extras to this baby.....I've been practising making tarps out of 2 ply tissue and they have come out reasonably well and also was going to try and make some 'packs' from 2 part epoxy.

Looking good, so far !! Nothing wrong with OOTB and a little scratch work ;)

9 hours ago, Watto64 said:

The two part putty is really good for tarps too btw, little talc to stop it sticking and it'll role nice and thin. It also has the advantage of weight to drape nicely over boxes and cans etc.

Atb

Trying to fit this build in around working from home....

........body and wheels assembled and initial coat of Desert Yellow applied.

y4mWhMksmmU31c5O2TPBL8aBa9LmFjgyvyjNpLw7

I decided to go with having one of the hatch doors open....cut off the hinges from the hatch and glued separately to hull, then glued the hatch

y4mMgpqqetrT20-hk141wG7C0VwCyE2LpLu4kgzi

• Like 6

Build now finished (apart from the photo etch - bending this into an open position is going to be a challenge to my new skill set!!! :( )

y4mhd2ST07svm-GNpy5sckY2iJzQC0W6Diff9Igz

y4m_k8ZuMj8Pj5wIZUR8Hxa_LMVjB9Y4sic0TL3X

y4mZoexLzPLpjJGU7FgxJHO4VwFgERT30w7cDwsF

y4mqG2O1hWl_MJBaf5661W4mbhXdPROzNoQ9wuDw

y4mykKliiyb05XOuEiDRBD0VKd4mBrmJwdSq9fuP

y4mNr5WpcvPMMV0teji93Fls5YAH_a0ATpFTTsvd

So got to finish the paint job, touch up a few mistakes and then weather the little beastie.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

I've caught up a bit (started a new job so a slight hiatus in the build process) - finished with only the etched mesh to apply to the turret, which I'm going to apply once I've weathered.

y4mUKAp0dZwpQBqN8-pqAkKS59ChJdH9dH03TxT_

y4m4ze3Wd0o32ZOgULr89X5e0xYwZK3nFdFBKzaD

y4mlMV3Y-KdeECk7tfgFMAiJF48ovvbCmR3mEyd8

y4mh13uutV3k9bQgDHWVEcVRS6ifDullOgIQ-DWuA

Applied an AK DAK wash as a first pass.  Will need a little more weathering yet before this goes on full display!

• Like 9