Single to Eaglesham Please - Eduard Me Bf-110D

AliGauld

Hi There,

I'm still not certain I'm up to this but here we go. My first work in progress of Eduard's 1/72 Me-110D.

This one will be built as the plane from the final flight of Rudolf Hess on his sojourn to Scotland.

Whether this was a black flag operation by The S.I.S., a plot by the right in GB to end the war or a lunatic fight of fancy by someone with serious mental health issues we will probably never know.

Did he die in Spandau Prison, was he executed previous to Nuremberg and replaced with a double or did he die in 1942 at Dunbeath with The Duke of Kent.

Conspiracy theories abound. :whistle:

My decision to go with this version came about after last years trip to Prestwick to see the Dakotas with my nephew.

As we were driving there he spotted a couple of road signs for Eaglesham and got quite excited about what had happened there.

Obligatory box and sprue shots

HsbHZil.jpg

WvlcLbL.jpg

anFiMFn.jpg

wa1OzXL.jpg

l5ft2GJ.jpg

Some additional transfers

ypgTrd0.jpg

I've been putting it off for some time but have decided now for good or ill to burden you all with my ramblings.

So, if anybody wants to watch an object lesson in how not do this, here we go.

I'll start things up tomorrow when I get some decent light.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 11

Hi There,

Apologies for the delay but Night Shift has poked it's annoying nose into my modelling.

So after a squirt of Colourcoats RLM02, Tamiya Dark Iron. messing about with fiddly bits,

a dry brush and a wash we end up with this.

51Xm1LP.jpg

GHBfqbQ.jpg

rF2B426.jpg

WloGmRz.jpg

yV9IXbN.jpg

wBQS75y.jpg

Not certain how much of this will actually be seen but I know it's there.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 6

Great work so far, an interesting story indeed  too.  

I remember night shifts although,  they did give me a bit of modelling time during the day especially as the boss, SWMBO  was at work!!! Trouble is kept getting up earlier and earlier as not able to get a full day's sleep after 5 years and 4 am in the morning was hard as just wanted to kip and sometimes could not remember part of the journey home which was a worry!!!

Chris 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great work so far, an interesting story indeed  too.  

I remember night shifts although,  they did give me a bit of modelling time during the day especially as the boss, SWMBO  was at work!!! Trouble is kept getting up earlier and earlier as not able to get a full day's sleep after 5 years and 4 am in the morning was hard as just wanted to kip and sometimes could not remember part of the journey home which was a worry!!!

Chris 

Thanks Chris.

Got to admit the journey home on autopilot can be very concerning.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

Hi There,

Some more fiddly stuff done.

4MpJzWx.jpg

PR6Tnyh.jpg

WKQcFhZ.jpg

L2DmF7O.jpg

b3BnHiM.jpg

Wings and nacelles as thrown together by this "Ham-Fisted Bun Vendor".

aNnhywk.jpg

KN6YSVP.jpg

5NGTLVc.jpg

Due to my amateur gluing some filler and sanding will be necessary. 

I'll get there though.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2

@AliGauld are you aware that the rear fuselage of this a/c (from just behind the cockpit to just in front of the tailplane) is held by the IWM and is now in the entrance foyer of Airspace.

As a volunteer I get to see it regularly and have to say the camouflage fits nothing I have ever seen printed or illustrated before - it reminds me most of the markings on a lizard with a variety of colours simply diffusing into each other. I'd suggest it's impossible to replicate with a brush and will need to be sprayed.

I had been due to be there on Saturday but won't be going thanks to the lockdown - let me know if you can wait until I get there again and and I'll try to get some pictures.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, iainpeden said:

@AliGauld are you aware that the rear fuselage of this a/c (from just behind the cockpit to just in front of the tailplane) is held by the IWM and is now in the entrance foyer of Airspace.

As a volunteer I get to see it regularly and have to say the camouflage fits nothing I have ever seen printed or illustrated before - it reminds me most of the markings on a lizard with a variety of colours simply diffusing into each other. I'd suggest it's impossible to replicate with a brush and will need to be sprayed.

I had been due to be there on Saturday but won't be going thanks to the lockdown - let me know if you can wait until I get there again and and I'll try to get some pictures.

Hi There,

It's definitely an airbrush job and some pictures would be great.

Thanks so much.

Cheers,

Alistair 

@AliGauldHopefully these will help.

50566671693_4fda584df1_z.jpg20201104_093005 by Iain Peden, on Flickr

50567422221_8a8802094c_z.jpg20201104_093000 by Iain Peden, on Flickr

50567560307_b9a417e480_z.jpg20201104_092955 by Iain Peden, on Flickr

50567560517_77b111238d_z.jpg20201104_092838 by Iain Peden, on Flickr

50567560722_5b6cd5a132_z.jpg20201104_092819 by Iain Peden, on Flickr

50566672833_627525b869_z.jpg20201104_092808 by Iain Peden, on Flickr

• Thanks 2

On 01/11/2020 at 17:18, AliGauld said:

Hi There,

Apologies for the delay but Night Shift has poked it's annoying nose into my modelling.

So after a squirt of Colourcoats RLM02, Tamiya Dark Iron. messing about with fiddly bits,

a dry brush and a wash we end up with this.

51Xm1LP.jpg

Not certain how much of this will actually be seen but I know it's there.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

It is a bit late and I was not there to hold the ladder when he climbed into the plane, but there is more gossip about additional fuel tanks in "his" Bf 110 than about carrying ammo-drums für MG 17 and MG FF. But it looks good anyway.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jochen Barett said:

It is a bit late and I was not there to hold the ladder when he climbed into the plane, but there is more gossip about additional fuel tanks in "his" Bf 110 than about carrying ammo-drums für MG 17 and MG FF. But it looks good anyway.

I wasn't sure about the ammo drums but they lend a little interest to the cockpit.

Thanks for your input though.

Cheers,

Alistair

"it looks good" [period]

I do not know how bulletproof this document is: https://uploads-ssl.webflow.com/5a3134b40672a700015a5d31/5e6b8d097fbd5475a14cea1b_LCA8samplepages2.pdf maybe it helps (we will politely ignore the passage "Armament: only three MG17 fitted and no cannon." and ponder wether to fit external tanks or not)

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Jochen Barett said:

"it looks good" [period]

I do not know how bulletproof this document is: https://uploads-ssl.webflow.com/5a3134b40672a700015a5d31/5e6b8d097fbd5475a14cea1b_LCA8samplepages2.pdf maybe it helps (we will politely ignore the passage "Armament: only three MG17 fitted and no cannon." and ponder wether to fit external tanks or not)

Thanks very much.

I think I will fit external tanks for the look but will use the excuse that these would have been necessary to the success of the flight but may have been dropped after RAF fighters were scrambled. 😁

It's all in the planning stages just now. Things could change.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

Ok Small update.

The Night Shift is over and I have a few days off but as usual people have found out I'm off until Monday and calls on my time are coming in.

So, despite dry fitting the fuselage halves numerous times and getting a fantastic fit when it came to gluing the front of the fuselage would not close. I popped the seam slightly and trimmed/sanded some parts back and finally got it to close.

This was entirely my fault as the dry fits went too well. I must have placed a part in the slightly wrong position.

So, then it came to fitting the wing to the fuselage, and guess what, didn't fit either. Much sanding later we get to this.

2G0BEbF.jpg

fmexsz9.jpg

fmexsz9.jpg

JjcTwpF.jpg

And with clamps off.

LOG9NOb.jpg

MmkoiaQ.jpg

So there appears to be some filling and sanding in my future.

The ejection ports underneath need tidying up.

If I get some time then I may post later.

Thanks for looking

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 6

3 hours ago, AliGauld said:

, despite dry fitting the fuselage halves numerous times and getting a fantastic fit when it came to gluing the front of the fuselage would not close. I popped the seam slightly and trimmed/sanded some parts back and finally got it to close.

Ah yes, sods law is in progress,  typical, but you beat it. Great job.

On 11/2/2020 at 2:16 PM, AliGauld said:

Got to admit the journey home on autopilot can be very concerning.

Yes it was, always hoped I had not hit anything or caused anyone else any issues, not good for my OCD really.  I remember trying to stay awake all day after the shift set had finished and was not very successful!!!

Early worm was great until they increased the shift to 10 hrs and was horrid after that.

Keep up the good work

Chris

• Thanks 1

It's certainly an interesting story. If I remember correctly there's an account somewhere from one of the servicemen who arrived to inspect the wreckage saying that he rolled "fuel tanks" away from the main wreck in case there was any fire. 

I think it was also stated that such guns as were fitted were still packed in grease. 

John 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Marklo said:

Nice build so far. I’m really liking the historical links.

Really hard to make out from the photos exactly what camo is in the remains of the real thing.

Thanks so much.

It is a little tricky to see clearly but I'm going for a standard finish of RLM 74/75/76 with RLM 70/74/02 mottling.

RLM 70 for the Propellors and RLM 02 for the wheel wells and undercarriage legs.

3 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Ah yes, sods law is in progress,  typical, but you beat it. Great job.

Yes it was, always hoped I had not hit anything or caused anyone else any issues, not good for my OCD really.  I remember trying to stay awake all day after the shift set had finished and was not very successful!!!

Early worm was great until they increased the shift to 10 hrs and was horrid after that.

Keep up the good work

Chris

Thanks very much for your kind comment.

I used to prefer the early shift but as we now do a 12hr shift and start at six I'm struggling to get up at 04:15 for that shift. The corollary is that we now have a week off every 4 weeks if we're not covering vacancies with overtime.

At least I've been working continuously during the present pandemic, luckier than most.

2 hours ago, John said:

It's certainly an interesting story. If I remember correctly there's an account somewhere from one of the servicemen who arrived to inspect the wreckage saying that he rolled "fuel tanks" away from the main wreck in case there was any fire. 

I think it was also stated that such guns as were fitted were still packed in grease. 

John 

Thanks for that. That's very handy to know.

Cheers,

Alistair  

• Like 2

Hi There,

Some pics after a treatment with PPP, Mr. Surfacer and Mr. Dissolved Putty.

EXwVFED.jpg

c8sueog.jpg

l2hlBVg.jpg

3N38ary.jpg

YEn1K3n.jpg

aFWxWwz.jpg

Still got some Mr. Dissolved Putty to tidy up on the nacelles. Everything feels reall smooth but only primer will tell.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Hi There,

Apologies for the lack of updates but I've been stuck at work covering vacancies and annual leave.

So, some masking has been done

w9DTdVb.jpg

i2GuEfb.jpg

The tail planes have been stuck on.

ltfo7hM.jpg

The rest of the canopy masked up and the drop tanks glued together. They still need a little bit of work to clean up the seams,

but we are edging close to paint.

qyUJIKt.jpg

Thanks for looking

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 5

Back with a small update.

Work has been a tad hectic recently so not much time off as everybody scrambles to use up outstanding annual leave that we couldn't get through the rest of the year.

Some priming has been done and, for once, I remembered to spray RLM02 on the canopy first.

Sf9ePYy.jpg

0WWtHwQ.jpg

Everything looks ok.

Then this morning I shot some Colourcoats RLM 02 at the wheel wells and such.

The wheel wells may need a second coat as the paint looks a little thin but it's still wet so I'll let things dry and see what's required

rDbdFV1.jpg

aWISy9b.jpg

87q1eZM.jpg

And then this,

wvLsNgv.jpg

It's a much more brassy colour in natural light and I'm hoping to tone it down a tad with a wash but based on where they go I don't think much will be visible anyway.

Anyway,

Off now to a "Development Day" with my Line Manager..... Oh Joy.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 3

Hi There,

Found a spare 5 minutes this morning so I laid down some Tamiya Deck Tan just to give a subtle variation in the top coats.

FNeUuTo.jpg

RFJsMcF.jpg

MGfZ7x6.jpg

qQEKLok.jpg

UcfGb8q.jpg

Things are getting a bit closer to some colours, that'll be when the fun really starts.

Thanks for looking

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 5

Hi There,

We now have some colour on board.

A couple of light coats of Colourcoats RLM 76.

The variation is more visible in natural light. I think the flash on the camera has washed it out a bit.

QyqX0ev.jpg

j5kNSAt.jpg

LRBs0Jp.jpg

wWa3kfy.jpg

b4458Pj.jpg

jL6sarT.jpg

QSvsNoJ.jpg

Pmmh2sm.jpg

sEUkwjI.jpg

Hopefully I'll get round to some masking tomorrow.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 5

• AliGauld changed the title to Single to Eaglesham Please - Eduard Me Bf-110D