Avro Anson - XIX T.20/21/22/C.21

wellsprop

3 minutes ago, cngaero said:

Oh yusssssss 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 I'll be watching this with great interest. 

Will it be 1/72 or 1/48? 

Chris. 

1/48 to start, maybe 1/72 if there is enough genuine interest :)

• Like 4

The approximate fairing shape is in place now, it's not right, but it's a start. What I will now do is create multiple guide lines for the multi-section surface to get the correct shape. It's a bit messy where it joins the wing trailing edge, typical of British aerospace engineering, I doubt the profile of the fairing would have been defined (after all, in the 40's/50's there were no CMM's, so it wouldn't be possible to measure the surface), instead, the fairing were most likely rolled to the correct shape by an almost artisan machine operator.

Ironically, aerospace engineering is almost coming full circle with composite manufacture. It requires very skilled operators to understand the material and place every piece of fibre by hand. Quite different to a CNC machine (although that also takes a lot of skill to operate, a good ear is required to notice when the chatter becomes unacceptable, the clamps are not tight enough, the tool is about to break, etc, etc).

• Like 1

I think you are grossly underestimating the skill of a professional designer/draughtsman, to produce a drawing that the skilful shop-floor artisan will follow to produce the curve.  Of course the profile will have been defined as part of the design process.  Aircraft curves were produced to mathematical formulae, not just a suck-and-see random process.

On 30/10/2020 at 23:40, Graham Boak said:

I think you are grossly underestimating the skill of a professional designer/draughtsman, to produce a drawing that the skilful shop-floor artisan will follow to produce the curve.  Of course the profile will have been defined as part of the design process.  Aircraft curves were produced to mathematical formulae, not just a suck-and-see random process.

Oops, I meant a geometric surface profile tolerance, rather than a cross section profile :) Airfix found a similar issue when designing their Spitfire XIV https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/workbench/first-2019-new-tooling-announcement

The table is used to defined the profile, at a cross section - rather than defining the whole surface, as is done using Geometric Design & Tolerancing in combination with 3D design.

A bit of an update, I've got the wings and engines on, after sorting out the issues with the wingspan. I've since added a few fillets here and there as required...

Avro Anson CAD 6

Before I start the tail surfaces (which are a bit boring to do), I'm going to challenge myself. I was hoping I'd be able to get some 1/48 resin Armstrong Siddeley Cheetah engines.... I was wrong! I'll design one myself :D

This will be my first attempt at designing an engine for a model plane, as opposed to "just" an entire model plane. I don't have any drawings to help me however, only images :S

• Like 3

The centre of the engine is roughly ok, the cylinders are just in there to have something in place, it needs quite a bit of work to look something like a proper cylinder.

Cheetah1

Cheetah2

As long as it looks about right I guess...

• Like 3

What printer are you using?  I've successfully printed to .2 mm wall thickness on the Anycubic and pretty sure I could go smaller.  I haven't even attempted to push it as I port a lot up onto Shapeways and .3 mm is thinnest they'll accept, so I tend to design everything to their design guides regardless of where I print it.  That being said, I drew the pushrods on the R4360 I'm drawing to .6 mm, again, to accommodate Shapeways (they differentiate between supported and unsupported, .6 mm being the thinnest they'll accept to unsupported, .3 mm for supported):

spacer.png

• Like 3

Well, that's the fundamental design complete - not bad seeing as I started less than a week ago and I'm only able to work on this before and after work!

Avro Anson CAD 8

I need to add panel lines to the horizontal tail before adding fillets to the horizontal and vertical tail surfaces. I realise the vertical tail/fuselage join isn't quite correct, but it'll do (the fillet should improve it quite a lot :)

• Like 5

I'm happy to call the fundamental design complete. There are a few things to do still, the Anson XIX has some sort of intake on the bottom of the cowl that I am to add, I must also sort out the wheel wells.

Avro Anson CAD 9

Avro Anson CAD 10

I realise the Anson should have a very distinctive "rag and tube" look to the rear fuselage... I might give it a go (I don't really know how though)! I've thoroughly enjoyed this design :)

• Like 7

That's a few people interested in 1/72!

Hopefully, it will print fine in 1/72 (the wall thickness will be marginal at 2/3 of a mm), but I'll give it a go :)

Propellers, undercarriage and interior still to do...

• Like 3