Tornado F.3 "Charity" 1435 flight Revell / Eduard - finished! 1/48

exdraken

will I manage a second after the IDS?

no idea, 

but with a slightly simpler set up it might work :D

I hope I know by know how to tackle the Revell beast (or how to ignore the Revell instructions! maybe Eduard did better ones.. lets see!)

The Eduard special edition "Good by Tornado  F.3 ADV" will be used, meaning Eduard PE for Cockpit and details + Eduard Brassin seats and wheels + stencils

I want to do a Falklands defender of 1435 flight and bought uprise-decals Falklands markings

not sure which one yet! probably you could also do the one or other plane from those ...

TUWXN9d.jpg

OIVypPp.jpg

cheers, 

Werner

• Like 8

Welcome to the ADV club!

The black scheme appeals to me but as with building the Black Mike Phantom FG.1 it is such a hard scheme to build and not look to like a toy.

• Like 2

lets see which markings, but I also go for "hi-viz"!

yesterday evening I had a sprue cutting marathon.. as I basically know (at least I hope!) what I do, no reason to stick too much with the instructions.... hope that speeds up things a bit :D

hGiKoav.jpg

on the upper right the left over runners carnage ;)

the box is much more empty and tidy now:

i93Burc.jpg

that is all what is still on the sprue!

some gluing out of sequence as well:

bnZkGNC.jpg

cheers!

hardly any aftermarket (because I do not have any remaining) in here apart from what is in the box and probably a master pitot and a quickboost gun nozzle

gear bays (CMK or at least Eduard PE) would have been nice though ;)

• Like 7

Hint: Eduard PE in the gear bays will probably not lead to issues later on....

But CMK isn't Aires, so maybe those fit better?

All these F.3 builds is making med seriously consider one as well.

I need to lay down and think about Fairey Gannets or something....

• Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Jabba said:

Nice start on the cockpit. This is going to be a bit of a rush is it not?

yeah, the cockpit needed to be painted before the PE session, that actually was the only reason (apart from 4 other concurrent builds  :wall:) for not having done a lot as of yet.... and guessing / mixing to those PE parts is quite a mess....

trust me, in certain angles and light it nearly perfectly blends is, in others the PE parts appear more blueish....

but now I hope it is quite straight forward! (I do hope I have learned and got enough experience with the design ;) )

E0wlT9l.jpg

the rear fuselage is glued already,

the front as well, but they are not glued together as of yet. i will stay with my process of doing everything first and then slide the cockpit section over.... this here is only for fit check!

B2RlOtz.jpg

and it looks good! a bit of sanding and it will fit even without any kind of pressure :thumbsup: (I assume at least :D )

not sure about the wings as of yet.. all out is a lot of work..... probably movable again.....

• Like 6

the Revell clear part have perfect fit, also look quite nice!

the Eduard masks are a bit big, but generally do their job well!

RI97EZM.jpg

regarding the upper fuselage parts, I nearly follow the same process as in the IDS

8bFvqdI.jpg

gluing intakes and airbrakes to the main part first

that allows for alignment in the critical areas :)

I omitted the structure below the brakes this time.... no need for it and only caused trouble last time....

jCQykhS.jpg

fit without any glue between the main parts for now is already good!

dI4RB3c.jpg

cheers,

Werner

• Like 7

Nice progress Werner. Having bought one of these myself now it's good to see the kit coming together well amid all the horror stories of bad fit so will be following your method at some point in the future.

• Like 1

wing work :)

VyMFO6k.jpg

wings glued, pylon movement mechanism installed (for all for pylons, and I swapped the rotating pins from inner to outer.... the original inner ones had very short movement bar location pins....)

c6qGlpy.jpg

wing pivot fix, as there is very little area to glue

Pk5571F.jpg

wing flaps better be installed before, as are the wing seals... ;)

NTYz9DQ.jpg

next step: closing the fuselage, adding the rear and and fin, then slide in and glue the front part

:)

• Like 8

Sunday evening update:

please add the inner airbrake parts, they add stabililty! at least after alignment....

bmQdF02.jpg

quick rear fuselage assembly sequence:

dpn3qbd.jpg

3PZ6WWz.jpg

2IGAgKu.jpg

ZeE10iQ.jpg

wings are a working :)

KR7k15h.jpg

rear engine detail:

nqb0Fhu.jpg

• Like 8

shoehorning in the front fuselage also was o major drama:

aTyJs64.jpg

WqHVmSI.jpg

and now also the nose cone glue is drying already! :)

QFEaIoC.jpg

Y8ZyvYD.jpg

depending on the angle (this is a good one I think!) the front area looks rater sleek and correct!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, exdraken said:

Y8ZyvYD.jpg

depending on the angle (this is a good one I think!) the front area looks rater sleek and correct!

Swift progress there mate!

I don't agree that the nose looks sleek. To my eye, the front shape of the fuselage and the Foxhunter nose correction have two different curvatures that looks quite bad when joined together like this. This id off course what you get when you do a minimum change to a design to adapt it to a different purpose.