Seversky AP-7 Jacqueline Cochran, 1938 Bendix winner - Modified 1/72 RarePlane vacuform

• fjaweijfopi4j48 changed the title to Seversky AP-7 Jacqueline Cochran, 1938 Bendix winner - Modified 1/72 RarePlane vacuform
9 hours ago, Pin said:

I am tired to put "like" on each of your new build, Moa! I'm thinking about writing a script that would automatically "like" every awesome awesomeness that you post

:cwl:

You just made me cough my breakfast.

5 hours ago, Courageous said:

Another stunning air frame.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart!

13 hours ago, Moa said:

Thanks, Graeme.

I don't know, they just keep coming out from those boxes. Not sure how.

I'm sure that it has to do with your inbred talent, probably from your Shaolin teachings, a real eye for the fine detail, and the ability to make that happen on a model, and of course the real biggie, research that is just simply outstanding.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Graeme H said:

I'm sure that it has to do with your inbred talent, probably from your Shaolin teachings, a real eye for the fine detail, and the ability to make that happen on a model, and of course the real biggie, research that is just simply outstanding.

Oh, Graeme, I know you are just saying... 😄

49 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Impressed as always by the visual 'life'in you work Moa. (Not to mention the light that you're blessed with for photographing it in). 👏

Very kind words, truly appreciated.

I agree, the weather here is hot, stable and mostly sunny. On the other hand, the weather here is hot, stable and mostly sunny 😄

There is, though, that report of a rain, in 1887. There is always hope.

• Haha 2

You expect me to believe that you turned that malformed plastic sheet in to the amazing shiny model you claim was based upon it?  Nah, don't believe you.

(Or maybe I do... )

• Haha 1

I hope you don't mind if I add this information to your thread Moa.  If you do, please let me know and I'll delete it.  Although Jackie Cochran is well known to aviation enthusiasts, there may be some who don't realize the extent of her accomplishments.   These excerpts are from the Wikipedia entry for Jacqueline Cochran:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacqueline_Cochran

In 1937, she was the only woman to compete in the Bendix race and worked with Amelia Earhart to open the race to women. That year, she also set a new women's world speed record.[16] By 1938, she was considered the best female pilot in the United States. She had won the Bendix and set a new transcontinental speed record as well as altitude records.[1] Cochran was the first woman to fly a bomber across the Atlantic. She won five Harmon Trophies. Sometimes called the "Speed Queen", at the time of her death, no other pilot held more speed, distance, or altitude records in aviation history than Cochran.[17]

In 1952, Cochran, then aged 47, decided to challenge the world speed record for women, then held by Jacqueline Auriol. She tried to borrow an F-86 from the U.S. Air Force, but was refused. She was introduced to an Air Vice-Marshal of the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) who, with the permission of the Canadian Minister of Defence, arranged for her to borrow 19200, the sole Sabre 3. Canadair sent a 16-man support team to California for the attempt. On 18 May 1953, Cochran set a new 100 km speed record of 1,050.15 km/h (652.5 mph). Later on 3 June, she set a new 15 km closed circuit record of 1078 km/h (670 mph). Encouraged by then-Major Chuck Yeager, with whom Cochran shared a lifelong friendship, on May 18, 1953, at Rogers Dry Lake, California, Cochran flew the Sabre 3 at an average speed of 652.337 mph. During the course of this run the Sabre went supersonic, and Cochran became the first woman to break the sound barrier.[1][N 1]

Cochran was also the first woman to land and take off from an aircraft carrier, the first woman to pilot a bomber across the North Atlantic (in 1941) and later to fly a jet aircraft on a transatlantic flight, the first pilot to make a blind (instrument) landing, the only woman ever to be president of the Fédération Aéronautique Internationale (1958–1961), the first woman to fly a fixed-wing, jet aircraft across the Atlantic, the first pilot to fly above 20,000 feet (6,096 m) with an oxygen mask, and the first woman to enter the Bendix Transcontinental Race. She still holds more distance and speed records than any pilot living or dead, male or female.[38][39]

Because of her interest in all forms of aviation, Cochran flew the Goodyear Blimp in the early 1960s with Goodyear Blimp Captain R. W. Crosier in Akron, Ohio.

Obviously, she was an incredibly gifted pilot and had an amazing flying career.  Thanks you Moa for posting this beautiful model of her Seversky racer!  It's a great tribute indeed.  😀

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Natter said:

You expect me to believe that you turned that malformed plastic sheet in to the amazing shiny model you claim was based upon it?  Nah, don't believe you.

(Or maybe I do... )

🧙‍♂️

Dave, it's, called Magical Modeling.

All you need is the proper wand.

(And an immense amount of hours, infinite patience, and self-healing hands).

58 minutes ago, Gary Brantley said:

I hope you don't mind if I add this information to your thread Moa. 

Excellent addition.

I don't mind it at all!

I welcome this type of contributions.

Cheers!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Moa said:

I agree, the weather here is hot, stable and mostly sunny. On the other hand, the weather here is hot, stable and mostly sunny 😄

There is, though, that report of a rain, in 1887. There is always hope.

The same could be said of many parts of Texas.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, djos said:

As always, masterpiece.

No matter which is starting point (mold) finished model is always something i admire.

Regards Djordje

Thanks Djorje!

Not about about masterpieces, but it was fun.

4 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Simply Superb Seversky!

Another great one Moa.

Terry

😁

Thanks Terrible Terry!

• Haha 1

This is so seriously beautiful in every aspect, and the modelling work is unbelievable. The first two photos says it all, a wonderfully built model in bright metal finish and fine surface detail, and then the simple vac form starting point. It is model building at its best.

Ans as usual when I see your photos I always want to go back to those times they reflect, in that situation of course...

• Like 1

On 30/10/2020 at 18:19, Gary Brantley said:

In 1952, Cochran, then aged 47, decided to challenge the world speed record for women, then held by Jacqueline Auriol.

There is an excellent documentary film, produced by ZED, called "Supersonic Women: A Duel in the Sky" about the speed record rivalry between the two Jackies. In the US, you can find it on Curiosity Stream, not sure where you can find it in the UK or EU. I really enjoyed it, and learned a lot I didn't know.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good grief Moa.  I would have tossed the kit into the trash after opening the box.  How you made this into a museum piece is a lasting testament to your supreme skill level and attention to detail.  

I am not worthy :worthy:

Mike

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

There is an excellent documentary film, produced by ZED, called "Supersonic Women: A Duel in the Sky" about the speed record rivalry between the two Jackies. In the US, you can find it on Curiosity Stream, not sure where you can find it in the UK or EU. I really enjoyed it, and learned a lot I didn't know.

Cheers,

Bill

Interesting, Bill, thanks for posting the info.

21 minutes ago, Sky Keg said:

Good grief Moa.  I would have tossed the kit into the trash after opening the box.  How you made this into a museum piece is a lasting testament to your supreme skill level and attention to detail.  

I am not worthy :worthy:

Mike

Thanks, Mike !

😁

There is an upside to this approach: instead of botching a really nice kit and end up with something lesser than the original fantastic parts, you start with almost nothing and from there it can only go upwards!

• Haha 1