H Builds “Dakar Racing Hawk” FINISHED

The Dakar Rally (or simply "The Dakar"; formerly known as the "Paris–Dakar Rally") is an annual rally raid organised by the Amaury Sport Organisation. Most events since the inception in 1978 were staged from Paris, France, to Dakar, Senegal, but due to security threats in Mauritania, which led to the cancellation of the 2008 rally, events from 2009 to 2019 were held in South America.[1][2][3] The 2020 edition was held in Saudi Arabia. The rally is open to amateur and professional entries, amateurs typically making up about eighty percent of the participants.

The rally is an off-road endurance event. The terrain that the competitors traverse is much tougher than that used in conventional rallying, and the vehicles used are typically true off-road vehicles and motorcycles, rather than modified on-road vehicles. Most of the competitive special sections are off-road, crossing dunes, mud, camel grass, rocks, and erg among others. The distances of each stage covered vary from short distances up to 800–900 kilometres (500–560 mi) per day.

Taken from Wikipedia. 

Lets get WHIFFY, 

The Dakar was opened up to Hawk aircraft, with restrictions on maximum height flown and fuel carried. Timing gates are positioned along the routes which must be flown through below 50ft, certain parts of routes must be flown at specified speeds. Fuelling airfields are scattered throughout the routes, go fast, land many times, be economical fly further. 

Ex Royal Air Force Hawks were sourced from the MOD for the competitors. All aircraft need to carry a baggage pod on one wing with servicing kit and basic spares, the other wing has an standard Dakar pod carrying survival equipment in case of emergencies. These are jettisoned when the ejector seats are initiated. A last minute AAR directive requires all a/c to fit a refuelling probe. Use of the emergency tanker will incur time penalties. 

That sounds good to me

My goodies for this build

158EB13B-F30F-458B-A397-438F463F016D

• Like 10

With Little H leading the way, I thought I should crack on with mine. 

Instead of starting by glueing the cockpit as per instructions I took to the fuselage with a razor saw and cut a hole in it!

72FEE1CE-093E-4056-92C2-78FF9E82D91B

Now I have an open panel so the battery bay can be seen. Better scratch build one now. 

• Like 1

Remember that you have to put a lot of weight into the plane uf you don't want to have a tailsitter. The main issue being that there is hardly any space i. the nose to do so , particulatly since you build the battery (you could try to hide the weight behind the IPs).

An option would be to weight down the pkane just behind the cockpit, but you would require way more than the suggested 5g to adust for the short lever.

• Thanks 1

I know what you mean, having similar issues with my build. Also having trouble with the windscreen, seems to be slightly deformed on the left hand side and doesn’t want to fit. Looked at my second kit, that seems to have the same issue.

• Thanks 1

I’ve not got to sticking large parts together yet but drying fitting shows quite a few gaps around the sticky out bits.  I’ve also been surprised about the unclean nature of most of the joint surfaces, everything needs careful cleaning up.

Brothers, it is that time again, time for the pilgrimage to the most holiest of coops, where it once was said......

Pink is the word Brother. 

Gather round fellow disciples of primer of pink, @nimrod54, @Col. @trickyrich, @modelling minion, @Hewy, @Valkyrie, @JeroenS, @Pete in Lincs

A79A4941-429A-43F4-BD6A-11C663E6ECAD

For the brightest Reds, Yellows and Orange, prime first with primer on pink

162DD063-C775-4B99-AF57-F113BA6FB3B2

Here endeth the lesson, go forth my Brothers and spread the word, holding aloft the blaster of ghetto with Pink by Aerosmith on constant loop. 

Pink is the word. 

Pink is the word Brother. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

56 minutes ago, HoolioPaulio said:

That red is looking very good.  I want to be a disciple of the Pink Primers, but I airbrush acrylics and have struggled to find any suitable for my use.

Thanks dude, it’s actually Tamiya’s orange, it’s just the bad light in my reinforced concrete spray booth. 

You can’t go wrong with Tamiya’s pink primer in my opinion. 

• Like 1

Mrs H feels the cold, even when it’s not cold!

The wood burner is burning, the oil fired heating is on, the fake snow on the Xmas tree is melting and it’s hotter than the Sun in here!, yet can I get this damn coat of Humbrol paint to dry????!!!!!! :angry:

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Mrs H feels the cold, even when it’s not cold!

The wood burner is burning, the oil fired heating is on, the fake snow on the Xmas tree is melting and it’s hotter than the Sun in here!, yet can I get this damn coat of Humbrol paint to dry????!!!!!! :angry:

Maybe it's the PINK PRIMER:P :boxing: :winkgrin:

• Haha 2