1/12 312T 1975

I'm late to this party but brilliance all over the place! Pascal, for the great catch of the incorrect fitting. I understand Ron's mania to get it correct - in keeping with his approach to the whole build. Great.

Then there's the brilliance of Ron's thoroughness and finally his unreal skills of finish. I would have thought the rotors to have a brilliant sheen as cut metal from use. But I have seen many exactly in that 'heavy iron' gray, like GT-40's. Brake ducts just right.

Hope all this goodness visible under the wing but if not we can enjoy it here. Thanks Mr Ron !:penguin:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Skills might be unreal, but he results are very real.

Absolutely the thing. That gearbox. I think you even have the alu oxide replicated.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2021 at 8:50 PM, Codger said:

I'm late to this party but brilliance all over the place! Pascal, for the great catch of the incorrect fitting. I understand Ron's mania to get it correct - in keeping with his approach to the whole build. Great.

Then there's the brilliance of Ron's thoroughness and finally his unreal skills of finish. I would have thought the rotors to have a brilliant sheen as cut metal from use. But I have seen many exactly in that 'heavy iron' gray, like GT-40's. Brake ducts just right.

Hope all this goodness visible under the wing but if not we can enjoy it here. Thanks Mr Ron !:penguin:

Better late than never :)

Had to be done once pointed out Mr C...it bugged the hell out of me 😖

I had PE faces for rotors but...only detail they had was the four grooves...flat and lifeless without surface detail...and adding them meant having to open up the callipers...so decided to go with kit parts and paint...as kit chrome also looked wrong to me.

Not sure as yet how much will be visible...as a lot will depend on how I display it...body on...or partially off...but...as with most kits...even when we know it won't be seen...it still has to be done :)

Comments and support much appreciated as always.

Ron

Edited by silver911
added text

Well I said way back that you'd have no problem creating any of the colours, shades and effects required to make this engine look real and guess what....I was absolutely right. Brilliant skills Ron looks so realistic it's frightening 🙂👍👌👏

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Pouln said:

Skills might be unreal, but he results are very real.

Absolutely the thing. That gearbox. I think you even have the alu oxide replicated.

Indeed I have tried to replicate oxide on ali...pleased you think it was successful Poul :)

My skills are no dark magic mate...easily learned.

Thanks for comment.

Ron

5 hours ago, Andy J said:

Well I said way back that you'd have no problem creating any of the colours, shades and effects required to make this engine look real and guess what....I was absolutely right. Brilliant skills Ron looks so realistic it's frightening 🙂👍👌👏

Glad you like it so far Andy...I am pleased with the colours...which I have kept a bit more subtle than usual.

Cheers for comment :)

Ron

• Like 1

1 minute ago, silver911 said:

Glad you like it so far Andy...I am pleased with the colours...which I have kept a bit more subtle than usual.

Cheers for comment :)

Ron

Less is more in this case Ron and it looks great 👍 

• Like 1

HI Ron, I've been looking at your recent updates on my phone  🤨 trying to enlarge etc - the images look even better on the laptop screen! Not just shiny objects!  With the computer, I can now clearly see the banjo fitting - hats off to you for fixing that. Probably quite frustrating, but the results are worth it.  The added bolts and tie wire is a nice detail, very convincing.  I've seen these "chained" together as you've shown.   To echo others, your steadfast application of texture, but now, with added twist of hierarchy of color variations, are really nice!  Looking forward to your next post - 

Cheers

Nick

• Like 1

23 hours ago, silver911 said:

So you understand I had to do something about it mate :)

IMG-0158.jpg

Hope you approve.

Ron

Ooooooh Yeaaah!!

Top job Ron! ;) 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Stickframe said:

HI Ron, I've been looking at your recent updates on my phone  🤨 trying to enlarge etc - the images look even better on the laptop screen! Not just shiny objects!  With the computer, I can now clearly see the banjo fitting - hats off to you for fixing that. Probably quite frustrating, but the results are worth it.  The added bolts and tie wire is a nice detail, very convincing.  I've seen these "chained" together as you've shown.   To echo others, your steadfast application of texture, but now, with added twist of hierarchy of color variations, are really nice!  Looking forward to your next post - 

Cheers

Nick

Once it was pointed out I had no option but to correct my blunder...better than later down the line...ah!...the joy of old age :)

I have tried to stay faithful to the ref pics I have where possible/practical...but used 'artistic license' when needed.

As explained...I have kept the colours somewhat muted for this build in an effort to reflect the Ferrari standards of maintenance...a new style for me...but am enjoying the challenge.

Comments are much appreciated Nick 👍

Cheers

Ron

Been tidying up a few more bits...and added some more details to gearbox...starter motor wires...and some hose connections...also got the distributor wired up...including a rubber boot for coil lead...which I made from heat shrink using the tool I made from slide fit tubes which is at the top of the picture...then made a start on pre-fitting/assembling the many exhaust pipes...the final two tail pipes will require a temporary joining of the gear box to the main block...to make sure they fit in the clamps as they should...which have been drilled to use real springs to hold them in place as per the 1:1

IMG-0173.jpgIMG-0174.jpgIMG-0176.jpgIMG-0178.jpgIMG-0179.jpgIMG-0180.jpgIMG-0171.jpgIMG-0177.jpgIMG-6351.jpg

to be continued.......

Ron

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Nifty little tool to create the wire boots. Good tip, thanks for that.

gearbox is looking great as do the other bits-n-pieces

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Pouln said:

Nifty little tool to create the wire boots. Good tip, thanks for that.

gearbox is looking great as do the other bits-n-pieces

With 12 more boots to make for the plug leads...I needed to be able to make them consistently Poul...and the beauty of this little tool is...you just need the right size of tubes...then you can create any size or shape required.

Cheers for comment :)

Ron

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Stickframe said:

The subtle grime is really convincing, as it closely wraps where it "should" and doesn't become a uniform wash - really nice!

For me it's all about 'control'...and washes just don't allow that...plus you can never be sure of the result...hence my use of oils...total control...and colour management...my only use of any kind of wash is a 'pin' wash...for highlighting bolts/fixings etc.

On rare occasions I will use a select wash for example fuel/oil spills...but never over the whole area/piece.

Thanks for comment Nick...always appreciated :)

Ron

HI Ron,

I see, and now need to graduate from the general wash to the intentional outline! I like the way you have kept control of the grime - along edges, not simply across all surfaces with the hope for color buildup where you want it - like above, and on the gearshift you shared much earlier in this post.  It looks just right and not overdone.  Watching you do this, I now understand that you add (intentional) layers of color to achieve texture, then go back with another color to outline edges - which makes perfect sense and looks the part.  Now to try it a few times and see how it goes!  for whatever reason, I have been trying to achieve both outcomes by only using a wash - and the results are hit and miss.   Looking forward to the next update 😃

Cheers

Nick 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Stickframe said:

HI Ron,

I see, and now need to graduate from the general wash to the intentional outline! I like the way you have kept control of the grime - along edges, not simply across all surfaces with the hope for color buildup where you want it - like above, and on the gearshift you shared much earlier in this post.  It looks just right and not overdone.  Watching you do this, I now understand that you add (intentional) layers of color to achieve texture, then go back with another color to outline edges - which makes perfect sense and looks the part.  Now to try it a few times and see how it goes!  for whatever reason, I have been trying to achieve both outcomes by only using a wash - and the results are hit and miss.   Looking forward to the next update 😃

Cheers

Nick 

Hi nick...I learned a long time ago that washes are nothing if not merely 'staining' the whole area in a haphazard...hit and miss fashion...where as...with oils...you retain control of the subject...the intensity...and colour balance.

Obviously...with my figure painting background...I had an advantage when I brought the techniques across to vehicle modelling...however...the use of oils is no dark art...merely a different approach to application...although...a good eye for colours helps.

I have taught a number of people my techniques over the years...all of whom have expressed their surprise at how relatively easy it is to grasp said techniques...and how pleasing the results are when compared to traditional methods such as washes.

Between this thread...the Ducati...and the RE20 engine I was working on...I have given a lot of insight into working with oils...and a lot of tips on how I airbrush my metals...even so...if you need any more guidance just ask mate :)

Ron

6 minutes ago, Toftdale said:

I've said it before but it's definitely worth repeating,  thank you for sharing its a real masterclass 🙌 Andy

Your very welcome Andy...I just think it's a waste of knowledge that might help others if I don't share...when I go it's gone for good...a real waste in my book.

• Like 1

Been adding a few more details to various bits...battery received holding plates and springs + a little bit of paint and a decal for effect...motherboard got some decals and soft weathering...alternator and mounting plate similar treatment...then an engine plate painted/weathered,,,

IMG-0185.jpgIMG-0186.jpgIMG-0187.jpgIMG-0196.jpgIMG-0193.jpgIMG-0192.jpgIMG-0190.jpg

to be continued.......

• Like 5

One job that I have been avoiding for a while now was pre-fitting the exhaust pipes...even more so with this engine...12 pipes were not my idea of fun...although...in reality...it breaks down into four sets of 3...two sets on each side that sit on top of the other...but then have to sit in the tail pipe clamps...which I have cut and drilled to be able to use metal springs as per the 1:1.

First though...in order to get the exhausts right...I had to assemble the main block and gearbox...

IMG-0197.jpgIMG-0198.jpgIMG-0199.jpgIMG-0200.jpgIMG-0201.jpgIMG-0202.jpgIMG-0203.jpgIMG-0204.jpgIMG-0205.jpg

Very long story short...three sets fell together almost on their own...the fourth however was an absolute nightmare...lets just say it took me two days of shear willpower to overcome the almost 4 mm of misalignment in one of the three pipes...and a 2 mm piece spliced in as well...on top of which...all of the locating stubs were way off centre...and had to be replaced with ali tube...it was a huge relief to finally be able to see them all sitting as they should...and I have since primed them ready for paint and weathering...

IMG-0184.jpg

Finally...I adjusted my 'boot' making tool slightly...so that I could make 12 spark plug boots...

IMG-6356.jpg

Let me know your thoughts as always

Ron

to be continued.......

Edited by silver911
added text
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1