1/12 312T 1975

G'day Ron,

A deeply impressive build. I have been following on and off but being honest I have only been reading the posts with build pics as I am not massively into cars (basically a jet guy) but a quality build is quality regardless of genre. 

I have a question regarding the cowling finishes as gloss paint is my nemesis. I noticed that the top panels look a little 'orange peely' in the close-up shots. Given the consumate ease you have displayed in replicating ultra realistic patinas is this a depiction of era correct gloss finish? I have read in some race car WIPs that the cars of this era did not have the glass smooth paint surfaces that is now commonplace.

Back on page 28 I know you had some unwanted orange peel with the upper cowl and that your suspicion was that the plastic was the culprit, but subsequent sanding and re-painting resulted in an acceptable result so did you leave the finish a little less than perfect on purpose? I do not mean to cause offence, this is a stellar build,

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Pappy said:

G'day Ron,

A deeply impressive build. I have been following on and off but being honest I have only been reading the posts with build pics as I am not massively into cars (basically a jet guy) but a quality build is quality regardless of genre. 

I have a question regarding the cowling finishes as gloss paint is my nemesis. I noticed that the top panels look a little 'orange peely' in the close-up shots. Given the consumate ease you have displayed in replicating ultra realistic patinas is this a depiction of era correct gloss finish? I have read in some race car WIPs that the cars of this era did not have the glass smooth paint surfaces that is now commonplace.

Back on page 28 I know you had some unwanted orange peel with the upper cowl and that your suspicion was that the plastic was the culprit, but subsequent sanding and re-painting resulted in an acceptable result so did you leave the finish a little less than perfect on purpose? I do not mean to cause offence, this is a stellar build,

cheers,

Pappy

Firstly...absolutely no offence taken with anything you said Pappy...I welcome any input...be it good...bad or indifferent...everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Regards the paint finish...and also to offer a little reasoning behind the different levels of finish on this build...and in particular...the bodywork.

I spent a lot of time studying reference pictures of the period...and what struck me was...they varied enormously from team to team...and also at different stages of a season!

If you are referring to the top side panels along the cockpit...you are correct in noting the less than 'showroom' finish...although it's not in reality caused by orange peel as such...rather...it's my interpretation of worn paint...that had been touched up...so to speak.

My reasoning behind this was born out by studying many pictures...an observing how reflections in and on the surface...were showing minor damage to the surface.

Also...if you think about it...these particular areas/panels...provided a rest for tools etc. and...indeed...as is seen in many pictures...a seat for drivers and mechanics at rest.

Whilst I have readily admitted to having a lot of problems with paint and plastic...in this particular case...it was genuinely intended.

I hope that helps mate...and thank you for your input and kind words on the build :)

Ron

• Thanks 1

I know Chas contributed a lot to your build and I’m also sure that he would have approved, no loved the results you are portraying here.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Pouln said:

I know Chas contributed a lot to your build and I’m also sure that he would have approved, no loved the results you are portraying here.

His input was invaluable Poul...always supportive to me...and appreciative of the input of others to the build...so I take comfort in believing he would be pleased with this result.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Malc2 said:

Hi Ron,

Looks great, all the added detail really makes a difference.

On to the next!

Malc.

First off...many thanks for all the help and support you gave me throughout the build Malc...and the extra detail you helped me include...it really helped me raise my standards.

Although there is still a lot to do to complete this project...the main journey has been immense fun.

As for the next one...a BT44B springs to mind.......😱

• Like 1

On 10/31/2021 at 8:27 AM, silver911 said:

Firstly...absolutely no offence taken with anything you said Pappy...I welcome any input...be it good...bad or indifferent...everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Regards the paint finish...and also to offer a little reasoning behind the different levels of finish on this build...and in particular...the bodywork.

I spent a lot of time studying reference pictures of the period...and what struck me was...they varied enormously from team to team...and also at different stages of a season!

If you are referring to the top side panels along the cockpit...you are correct in noting the less than 'showroom' finish...although it's not in reality caused by orange peel as such...rather...it's my interpretation of worn paint...that had been touched up...so to speak.

My reasoning behind this was born out by studying many pictures...an observing how reflections in and on the surface...were showing minor damage to the surface.

Also...if you think about it...these particular areas/panels...provided a rest for tools etc. and...indeed...as is seen in many pictures...a seat for drivers and mechanics at rest.

Whilst I have readily admitted to having a lot of problems with paint and plastic...in this particular case...it was genuinely intended.

I hope that helps mate...and thank you for your input and kind words on the build :)

Ron

G'day Ron,

Thanks, that was exactly what I hoping for. I think too pristine a finish would have looked out of place and toylike, the slightly distressed appearance is exactly what is needed,

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 1

On 11/1/2021 at 8:03 AM, Pappy said:

G'day Ron,

Thanks, that was exactly what I hoping for. I think too pristine a finish would have looked out of place and toylike, the slightly distressed appearance is exactly what is needed,

cheers,

Pappy

Glad you agree on my approach to the finish/paintwork...I think it lends itself well to the overall theme.

Nice one for comments mate :)

Ron

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Right...time for an update.

With the car 99.9% done...I have turned my attention to the backdrop for the scene.

Using this ref pic of the testing facility at Fiorano (late 75 I believe) as inspiration.....

03-1975-ferrari-312-t.jpg

I then sketched out a map in Photoshop.....

312-T-Backdrop.jpg

Using the car as the guide for dimensions allowed me to adjust the proportions to replicate the ref pic...which in turn allowed me to finalise the overall size for the finished scene (60 cm W x 30 cm D x 25 cm H).

Using E-PVC Foamex sheet for the construction...which is harder than standard foam boards...gave me the strength/rigidity I need for what is a large display and...as a bonus...can be glued with standard plastic cement.

This is the basic layout assembled.....

thumbnail-IMG-7244.jpg

To fill the doorway optically...I made a partly open shutter...and have started to add some texture.....

thumbnail-IMG-7245.jpg

Obviously...this is in the very early stages...but it gives me something to work from.

Ron

to be continued............

• Like 13

On 11/14/2021 at 1:23 PM, rjfk2002 said:

That’s a really clever way to show the model… I am sad to see this approaching the finish line! It has been a really fun build to follow 

Hi Rich...still a long way to go yet mate...but I think it will complete a nice snapshot from better days.

On 11/14/2021 at 3:13 PM, bigbadbadge said:

Great start to the display.  This is going to look awesome.  

Great work 

Chris

Lets hope so Chris :)

By using the ref pic I posted...I am hoping to recreate that moment in time....at least in essence.

Thanks for continued support mate...much appreciated.

Ron

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just a very quick update...as I think the interest dropped off for viewers when I all but finished the car itself.

I have almost completed the shell of the backdrop...as previously mentioned...it is based on the ref pic I posted earlier.

The three holes above the main shutter are for some spotlights...so that the buyer can enjoy it at night...just a little artistic license for fun.

There is more weathering/detailing yet to be done...but need to let things dry for a week or so.

The whole backdrop has been created using...foam board...balsa...perspex...metal...and a few different types of fillers...with the 'Agip' bands created in Photoshop.

Whilst not exactly 100% accurate to the ref pic...it should provide a nice backdrop to the car...more so once all the previously made tools and accessories are in place.

IMG-7251.jpg

I have begun to add minor details...such as the shelf supports...and added the pebbledash texture as in the ref pic mentioned.....

IMG-7252.jpg

Let me know your thoughts/suggestions :)

Ron

to be continued............

Edited by silver911
  • Like 10

28 minutes ago, Toftdale said:

Your eye for detail and painting skills have paid dividends.  The weathering on the roller door is a masterpiece, it just looks so natural - Andy 

That's very kind of you Andy :)

I couldn't be sure how far to take it until it was in situ...but agree it looks natural as is.

21 minutes ago, CrazyCrank said:

Hi @silver911

Impressive work, as said Tofdale.

Should you add a lock at the bottom of the roller door ?

Glad you like it so far mate :)

I did ponder the 'lock' idea...but settled for the notion that it would be secured from inside when closed 🤔...

Edited by silver911
  • Like 1

Well, Ron. This again looks amazing. Every part you show us here is so nicely executed and,, indeed, weathered. This will sure make a very nice background for the model and I'm sure the buyer will be happy with it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kpnuts said:

Looking great mate ( as usual)

Many thanks mate...much appreciated :)

5 hours ago, Pouln said:

Well, Ron. This again looks amazing. Every part you show us here is so nicely executed and,, indeed, weathered. This will sure make a very nice background for the model and I'm sure the buyer will be happy with it.

Hi Poul...pleased you like the progress so far...and yes...I think it will work well with the car and accessories.

Thanks for comment :)

Ron

Looking great Ron  :) 

I might give something like this a go for my stuff, can't believe the difference it makes to realism rather than just sitting on a shelf :) 

Ian

• Like 1