Jump to content

1/12 312T 1975


Recommended Posts

Hi Ron,

 

Please post some WIP images of the rear wing.  Can you save some of the kit parts? or will it be all scratch?  I'm always interested in seeing how people shape styrene to get complex or compound curves, plus I'm gueesing you'll have some thin pieces of metal and rivets/bolts too!  This will be great!

 

Cheers

Nick 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Stickframe said:

Hi Ron,

 

Please post some WIP images of the rear wing.  Can you save some of the kit parts? or will it be all scratch?  I'm always interested in seeing how people shape styrene to get complex or compound curves, plus I'm gueesing you'll have some thin pieces of metal and rivets/bolts too!  This will be great!

 

Cheers

Nick 

 

Hi Nick,

I will certainly create a WIP of the wing if it helps others.

 

I need to lay out all the parts I have...kit wing and end plates (plastic)...PE end plates/fixing plates and stays etc. (nickel silver).

My hope is to use the kit wing body + PE stays and fixings...although the PE end plates have etched rivets...which won't show up once painted...and as previously discussed...being nickel silver...are an absolute nightmare to drill for metal replacements.

If I do have to scratch it...then yes...sheet metal (ali) over plastic ribs would make sense...and I should be able to use the kit part as a profile for creating said ribs.

 

Once I have worked out what needs to be done...I will take some pics and update the thread.

 

Cheers

 

Ron

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Time for an update...and...as Nick asked so nicely...a short WIP on the rear wing that has been the focus of my attention.

 

Let me first say a big thank you to Malc2 ...again...for his help and advice on this aspect of the build :)

 

So...first off...the kit parts for the main body of the wing...supplied in the usual Tamiya chrome...which was then removed in a bath of bleach.

Whilst the shape is acceptable overall...there are some details missing...

 

1Z.jpg

 

Primarily...the missing detail is the dividing line between the upper and lower sections...although there are faint raised ridges representing these lines front and back...they needed scribing into the plastic.

I used 3 layers of masking tape on each side...to give me a guide for scribing...

 

2Z.jpg

 

With this done...a quick coat of primer was sprayed on...which allowed me to check for faults...

 

3Z.jpg4Z.jpg

 

Next missing detail...the adjustable 'Gurney' flap.

This is indicated on the plastic by another faint raised line...although in the wrong position...it;s a useful guide for the shape needed.

I applied masking tape to the wing...then transferred the tape to some thin ali sheet...and kept clamping it to the wing to check position and fit...

 

5Z.jpg6Z.jpg

 

It took several tries...as you can see...

 

7Z.jpg

 

With the size and shape corrected...it now needed the slots for the fixings made.

Again I used masking tape to achieve this...

 

8Z.jpg

 

Then it was a case of drilling a series of holes...and enlarging/shaping them...and I also added the central weld bead...

 

11Z.jpg

 

Then it was a case of adding the securing bolts.

I also decided to use the PE plate for the lower centre mount...which needed bending to shape.

These were both then weathered/metalised...

 

12Z.jpg

 

Next up...the end plates...although I had both the kit parts and PE to choose from...I went with the kit parts...simply because it would be easier for what came next...the rivets!

 

The moulded rivets are barely visible...so they were sanded off in favour of brass replacements.

This meant I had to create a template for the new ones...and also make new mounting pins from rivets...because the kit ones were barely 0.5 mm long!

My solution was to cover the inside of the end plates in masking tape and...using the new mounting/locating rivets to get the correct position on the main body...I drew around it to give me a template for the holes.

 

13Z.jpg

 

Then it was a labour intensive job to slowly drill all the holes...

 

14Z.jpg

 

Each drilled end plate was gently held in a vise whilst gluing in the rivets...which ended up looking like a 'hedgehog'!...

 

15Z.jpg16Z.jpg

 

Lastly...it was a case of cutting the excess off of the rivets...then sanding them flush...

 

18Z.jpg17Z.jpg

 

This was my primary 1:1 ref...along with Malcs brilliant sketch.

The numbers are the areas I have worked...with the two white circles showing the small straps I have yet to make...

 

AZ99-Zero.jpg

 

All these parts are now ready for priming/paint...and I have intentionally left out the two main rivets (mounting pins) on each plate to be able to mount them for this.

 

Hope this gives you an insight into how I did all this.

 

Ron

 

to be continued.......

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by silver911
added text
  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Like every major subassembly, a model-within-a-model. Extremely disciplined work with great attention to reference.

Thanks for showing what's involved though doubt many have the patience to dig so deep. You're bringing MFH details to a 'common' Tamiya kit. :phew:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Ron, 

 

Thanks very much for posting your process - it's really interesitng and helpful to see!  I don't envy the task of "combining" the holes you made to create the adjustable attribute of this!  I know - looks easy enough, just drill and then clean out - I'm confident it was less "simple" thank that! 😁

 

Cheers

Nick 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ron,

 

Amazing work, as always. I'm continually impressed with your ability to solve these sorts of practical problems and find solutions that are not simply workable, but that look fantastic in the process.

 

Best,

Andrew

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Codger said:

Like every major subassembly, a model-within-a-model. Extremely disciplined work with great attention to reference.

Thanks for showing what's involved though doubt many have the patience to dig so deep. You're bringing MFH details to a 'common' Tamiya kit. :phew:

 

With the ref pic...and Malc's sketch...although time consuming...worth the effort I think Mr C.

 

Your point about MFH detail level...I think maybe it has a little to do with MFH being out of my price range that has driven me to attempt such details 🙃

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Stickframe said:

Hi Ron, 

 

Thanks very much for posting your process - it's really interesitng and helpful to see!  I don't envy the task of "combining" the holes you made to create the adjustable attribute of this!  I know - looks easy enough, just drill and then clean out - I'm confident it was less "simple" thank that! 😁

 

Cheers

Nick 

 

Hi Nick...glad you found the WIP interesting and helpful :)

 

It certainly wasn't first time right...as the picture of previous attempts shows 🤣

Have also just realised...the two retaining straps at the end also have to be 'slotted' 😱🤬

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Octavian said:

Ron,

 

Amazing work, as always. I'm continually impressed with your ability to solve these sorts of practical problems and find solutions that are not simply workable, but that look fantastic in the process.

 

Best,

Andrew

 

Thanks Andrew...problem solving was a part of my everyday working life...and I have always enjoyed a challenge.

 

When it comes to creating the illusion of reality...you can't beat good ref pics...and the invaluable help and advice of other members here.

 

Ron

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great riveting work on ghe side plates and the fin modifications too,  wonderful job.

Chris

 

Many thanks Chris :)

 

IMHO...you can't beat real metal for these kinds of detailing.

Fortunately...the kit parts were reasonably close in shape...so having to scratch a whole new wing body wasn't required :clap2:

 

Ron

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, rjfk2002 said:

The WIP pics are really helpful. Seeing the work and thought process that goes into your build is insightful and inspiring!

 

Hi Rich,

really glad you enjoyed the WIP on the wing...if it helps others...then it's worth the effort :)

 

Cheers

 

Ron

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Amazing work as usual Ron, thanks for sharing your vast knowledge with us

I miss dipping in and out seeing your progress,  as work is absolutely manic at the minute, I haven't been anywhere near my bench for over a month now, need to get some spare time on order, will check Amazon and see if they have any in stock 🤣

 

I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel the other day, but it was just someone with a torch bringing me more work 🤣🤣

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If anyone ever needs to restore a real 312T in the future,  I'm fairly confident they'll be able to use your model a a reference 😉, as ever thanks for sharing Andy 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Redstaff said:

Amazing work as usual Ron, thanks for sharing your vast knowledge with us

I miss dipping in and out seeing your progress,  as work is absolutely manic at the minute, I haven't been anywhere near my bench for over a month now, need to get some spare time on order, will check Amazon and see if they have any in stock 🤣

 

I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel the other day, but it was just someone with a torch bringing me more work 🤣🤣

 

Great to see ya mate...and better busy than out of work.

 

Always happy to share my knowledge...as others have done with me :)

 

Hope you get some bench time soon mate.

 

Ron

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Toftdale said:

If anyone ever needs to restore a real 312T in the future,  I'm fairly confident they'll be able to use your model a a reference 😉, as ever thanks for sharing Andy 

 

That's a really nice compliment Andy...thank you :)

 

Ron

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ron,  I just sort of found your build, being new to vehicles.  Your detail work is incredible at this size. ( I wonder what one of my Russian trucks would look like at this scale).  keep up the great work.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, RichO said:

Ron,  I just sort of found your build, being new to vehicles.  Your detail work is incredible at this size. ( I wonder what one of my Russian trucks would look like at this scale).  keep up the great work.

 

Hi Rich...glad you found me :)

 

Any Russian truck at 1/12 would be something to behold mate.

 

Cheers for comment.

 

Ron

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have been working on the rear wing area of the build of late...a lot more work (modifications) than I had originally planned to do.

First I metalized the PE plates for the wing support and main body...which was done by heating them over a gas burner...dropping them into cooking oil then cold water...with a final buff with 'chrome' powder...

 

IMG-6797.jpg

 

The wing support itself has quite a few different aspects which meant it took longer than expected to get where I am with it.

Small radiator with fixtures and fittings added...wing mount plates + securing bolts...battery mounted (will add the wiring once in place on gearbox)...control lever and solenoid...2 decals.

I still have the brake light and wiring to add...but this is where it's at right now...

 

IMG-6815.jpgIMG-6816.jpg

IMG-6817.jpgIMG-6818.jpg

IMG-6805.jpgIMG-6806.jpgIMG-6807.jpg

 

With the end plates I showed last time now primed ready for paint...it was time to get the main body of the wing done.

My preferred method for metalizing is powders...first the wing was primed in grey...then 3 coats of rattle can silver was applied and left to dry for 24 hours.

Then the body of the wing was polished with a carbon steel powder using a make up sponge...which I leave for a couple of hours...then buff it with Tamiya 'fine' compound...which removes all the loose micro flakes...and enhances/deepens the surface finish/shine.

In the pictures it looks much darker than it actually is...in strong daylight it's much lighter.

Once that was done I fixed the 'Gurney' flap in place...and also added the missing end straps and fixings...

 

IMG-6808.jpgIMG-6813.jpgIMG-6809.jpgIMG-6812.jpgIMG-6811.jpg

 

I will mount the wing to the tail once the end plates are finished and fixed...then fix it to the gearbox...add the battery wiring and the two hoses from the radiator in the wing support...plus the one at the top front of it.

Still a fair bit to do on these pieces...but starting to take shape.

 

Ron

 

to be continued.......

 

 

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

WOW - the available light is not doing justice to this brilliant finish work. If the sun ever shines in the UK, please go outside for those few minutes and shoot some pics. :wall:

I wager it will be indistinguishable from your reference shots.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Codger said:

WOW - the available light is not doing justice to this brilliant finish work. If the sun ever shines in the UK, please go outside for those few minutes and shoot some pics. :wall:

I wager it will be indistinguishable from your reference shots.

 

As it happens it's forecast for plenty of sun 2moro Mr C...so will do some pics outdoors for you :)

 

Cheers

 

Ron

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi,

 

Awesome work on the rear end and rear wing!

Simply awesome Ron!

 

Pascal

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...