1/12 312T 1975

8 hours ago, harveyb258 said:

Nice one Ron.

I don't envy you drilling all those holes for rivets, though...... enjoy lol.

Cheers, H

Rivets are etched in H...and are gonna stay that way as...apparently...you need 'Cobalt' bits to drill Nickel Silver...and at £13 for one 0.3 mm bit...bugger that :surprised:

Cheers for comment mate.

Ron

Wow Ron, your race car is looking great!  The etch panels really look the part.  I appreciate your clarification on those rivets.  I've added them before on 1/20 kit with similar etch, and drilling the holes was awful.  The process ate drill bits (using a pin vice and center punch!), drew blood, and was generally an experience not enjoyed - at all! The results were nice.  I was hoping you'd have some ideal way to do it!  I didn't even add all the rivets,  just a few that were really evident - likely won't try that again!

Cheers

Nick 

• Like 1

Glad to have dropped onto a project worthy of your skills so soon after the cat accident.

I'm going to pull up a chair and follow along if you'll have me 😁

Ian 😁

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Stickframe said:

Wow Ron, your race car is looking great!  The etch panels really look the part.  I appreciate your clarification on those rivets.  I've added them before on 1/20 kit with similar etch, and drilling the holes was awful.  The process ate drill bits (using a pin vice and center punch!), drew blood, and was generally an experience not enjoyed - at all! The results were nice.  I was hoping you'd have some ideal way to do it!  I didn't even add all the rivets,  just a few that were really evident - likely won't try that again!

Cheers

Nick 

Pretty much all panel rivets are hidden when body panels go on...so really not worth the effort/frustration of attempting it Nick...so far...the only piece I have added any rivet/bolt detail to is the cowling over the footwell but...I used the method of cutting the post off...and just using the head and a tiny spot of thin CA.

There are some areas of rivets and bolts that can easily be added...mostly in/on the engine/gearbox areas...and that is where I will concentrate my efforts to do such.

Thanks for comment...much appreciated :)

Ron

3 hours ago, Redstaff said:

Glad to have dropped onto a project worthy of your skills so soon after the cat accident.

I'm going to pull up a chair and follow along if you'll have me 😁

Ian 😁

Your always welcome Ian...and cat has been quarantined for the duration 😆

Cheers

Ron

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/4/2020 at 10:25 AM, silver911 said:

Your always welcome Ian...and cat has been quarantined for the duration 😆

Poor cat. This will not be finished in a day or two, so he/she will need to learn patience....

• Like 1

On 11/13/2020 at 4:40 PM, Pouln said:

Poor cat. This will not be finished in a day or two, so he/she will need to learn patience....

He's fine with it Poul :)

Promised him extra treats if he behaves.

Ron

Edited by silver911
removed text

Work continues on the main cockpit tub...a lot of small PE involved...plus some scratch of kit parts replaced with metal...and the footrest next to the clutch pedal made from real wood as per the 1:1...along with a real wood gear knob that was turned in the Dremel and given a metal shaft to finish it off...also added a metal strap to the fire extinguisher and a suitable decal....

IMG-5933.jpgIMG-5934.jpgIMG-5936.jpgIMG-5937.jpgIMG-5938.jpg

There are a lot of bits and pieces in various stages of progress which I will post soon...all comments and suggestions welcomed :)

Ron

to be continued.......

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Codger said:

Comment: Looks great. Nick's right. :worthy:

Suggestion: POST MORE - the crowd here is waitin' -:frantic:

Cheers Mr C...more will come when further sub assemblies are done and added...have 7 more additions almost ready 😉

Given your painting skills, I assume that the lighter scratches on the tub aren’t there by accident. Be interested to learn the rationale behind them.

10 hours ago, Pouln said:

Given your painting skills, I assume that the lighter scratches on the tub aren’t there by accident. Be interested to learn the rationale behind them.

What you see in the progress pics...are the result of working with a much more difficult base material than plastic!

My usual techniques are not applicable to working with Nickel Silver (PE)...so...I have had to develop a new technique for this build...which requires that I get all the PE in place before I apply said technique...so what you see so far...is not the final finish.

I will explain it in depth once it is applied if you want me to with...of course...photos of the working stages.

Ron

16 minutes ago, silver911 said:

I will explain it in depth once it is applied if you want me to with...of course...photos of the working stages.

Ah, thanks for the explanation. Of course, that would be much appreciated.

On 11/17/2020 at 8:56 AM, Pouln said:

Ah, thanks for the explanation. Of course, that would be much appreciated.

So...as much to answer Poul's query about the appearance of the finish on the cockpit tub...here is an update on the progress of the tub/chassis...and an explanation of how I corrected the irregular finish.

PE does not accept any kind of finishes well in it's base state...and certainly not my usual techniques...so...I had to develop a new technique.

Basically...it required using a series of abrasives...nothing too course...as I didn't want any deep scratches in the surface...or to remove any of the etched detail on it...which was then followed by some careful airbrushing...using a mix of matt sealer...with a very small amount of pale blue added...and a tiny amount of matt white...this gives a very slight metal colour to the sealer...which adheres perfectly to the abraided surface of the PE...which then allows me to use my normal techniques for weathering.

As you can see...refining this technique has allowed me to push things on considerably...with the fuel and oil tanks added to the rear bulkhead...and including adding the oil level pipe and scratching the missing tank next to the oil tank (as per this ref).....

A10.jpg

Where it stands now...

IMG-5970.jpgIMG-5971.jpgIMG-5973.jpgIMG-5974.jpgIMG-5975.jpgIMG-5976.jpgIMG-5977.jpgIMG-5979.jpgIMG-5978.jpgIMG-5981.jpgIMG-5982.jpgIMG-5983.jpg

As usual...your thoughts and suggestions welcomed :)

Ron

to be continued.......

Edited by silver911
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Very convincing race-car-in-use presentation. :) It's the perfect background 'canvas' for all the details to be added in and around it.

Don't slack off now, I'm watching how an artist does mechanical things. :whip:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Codger said:

Very convincing race-car-in-use presentation. :) It's the perfect background 'canvas' for all the details to be added in and around it.

Don't slack off now, I'm watching how an artist does mechanical things. :whip:

An audience of one eh Mr C :)

Comment is much appreciated as always...and yes...more is in progress as we speak.

Ron

With a lot of detail still to add to the cockpit itself...cables/wires/switches etc. etc. ...to keep myself from getting bogged down...I tend to move between related areas and sub assemblies...and to that end I have been working on some pieces that will bring the cockpit together so to speak...such as the footwell cover...dashboard and associated wiring/switches and such...as well as the basic seat padding taken from some ref pics...a few of which are shown below...

IMG-5986.jpgIMG-5989.jpgIMG-5990.jpg

The cable standing vertical will connect to a toggle switch on the steering wheel...and the rev counter still has it's cable to be added.

IMG-5984.jpgIMG-5985.jpg

more to follow.......

• Like 6

Great progress Ron, I'm still here as well in between finishing off tiling the new kitchen, just the grouting left now on the wall and floor, fit the skirting and I may be able to get to my bench and get some modelling done myself  and put some of your tips to good use 😁 Unless SWMBO finds me other tasks, which is likely 😂😂

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Redstaff said:

Great progress Ron, I'm still here as well in between finishing off tiling the new kitchen, just the grouting left now on the wall and floor, fit the skirting and I may be able to get to my bench and get some modelling done myself  and put some of your tips to good use 😁 Unless SWMBO finds me other tasks, which is likely 😂😂

Blimey mate...haven't you finished yet :surprised:

Glad your still with me :)

Ron

With some 40+ parts to clean/prep and prime for the front end next...and with the knowledge gained from the RE20 regarding aged plastic and breakages...I decided to preempt such from happening to this build...with this in mind...plus the added weight of all the PE sheets on the tub...I decided to modify the kit suspension using real metal where possible...to this end I have removed the plastic locating pin for the shocks...and replaced it with metal bushings and bolts...along with remaking the shock lower mount with metal fittings to match the bushings...this also meant strengthening the surrounding plastic for the bushings with ali plate...

IMG-5991.jpgIMG-5994.jpgIMG-5961.jpgIMG-5963.jpg

Now it remains to modify the upper parts of the shocks...

to be continued.......

Edited by silver911
re-posted pics
  • Like 5

That’s a great idea. I look forward to seeing how the components fit together. In the first pic I thought you were dealing with a larger tube and eyelet. That was until I scrolled down... Great work in such a tiny size

• Like 1