1/12 312T 1975

14 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looks Awesome,  love the tool box too.

Chris

Thanks Chris :)

Each addition I now make...first has to be balanced for condition and weathering...and the position compared to the refs and the available space on the base itself...so is taking a little longer to get it right before fixing permanently.

Ron

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Toftdale said:

That Rubbish......I mean that really looks like Rubbish,  the way the box looks like it was taped up and then cut open is genius - Andy

Thanks Andy...I find it's often the simplest things that make the difference...not sure I want to be known for my rubbish though mate 🤣

Ron

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Pouln said:

Wow, the level of reality…. Ron, this is really fantastic.

Thanks for your kind words Poul...it's gratifying that such a simple detail has been met with approval :)

7 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

Ignore him Ron, he's just trash talking :fool:

Love your sense of humour mate 🤣

4 hours ago, Redstaff said:

The eye to detail really impresses, excellent work Ron  :) 

Ian :) 

Many thanks Ian...much appreciated as always :)

Ron

• Like 2

Deeply impressed by your build! 

Saw you are using the ZP lacquer. Did you encounter issues with decals cracklin up under the clearcoat? Happened to me last week with the Cartograph decals included with the Lotus 79. Luckily BBK was able to supply me with a new set.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Remco said:

Deeply impressed by your build! 

Saw you are using the ZP lacquer. Did you encounter issues with decals cracklin up under the clearcoat? Happened to me last week with the Cartograph decals included with the Lotus 79. Luckily BBK was able to supply me with a new set.

I will not use ZP single lacquer again for that very reason...luckily...I had a number of spare decals (BBK) thanks to Wim at Bestbalsa.

When I did a test piece it worked fine...mist coat...let it dry...second mist...waited a couple of hours...final coat...all good.

When it came to the actual model...same method...however...as soon as the final coat touched the surface the decals began to crackle and bubble!

There were a few Tamiya decals I had managed to salvage...and they reacted exactly the same.

I left it all to settle for 72 hours...pricked the bubbles with a pin...then applied a generous coat of Micro Sol...which took care of the worst of the problem...although some of the problem is still visible very close up.

I did use Tamiya LP White on the main air scoop...with their own LP Clear...and had absolutely no problems...but switched to ZP because the LP Italian Red was giving me a lot of issues with coverage and peel.

Ron

7 hours ago, silver911 said:

I will not use ZP single lacquer again for that very reason...luckily...I had a number of spare decals (BBK) thanks to Wim at Bestbalsa.

When I did a test piece it worked fine...mist coat...let it dry...second mist...waited a couple of hours...final coat...all good.

When it came to the actual model...same method...however...as soon as the final coat touched the surface the decals began to crackle and bubble!

There were a few Tamiya decals I had managed to salvage...and they reacted exactly the same.

I left it all to settle for 72 hours...pricked the bubbles with a pin...then applied a generous coat of Micro Sol...which took care of the worst of the problem...although some of the problem is still visible very close up.

I did use Tamiya LP White on the main air scoop...with their own LP Clear...and had absolutely no problems...but switched to ZP because the LP Italian Red was giving me a lot of issues with coverage and peel.

Ron

It is actually quite surprising that Tamiya clear is fine, while it is known for its aggressiveness. Never had any problems with Tamiya, so will give that a shot I think. Don't know the Sol, but could also try Alclad Gloss (the waterbased version). It will be a stressful operation anyhow 🙂

Thanks for your info!

Remco 

6 minutes ago, Remco said:

It is actually quite surprising that Tamiya clear is fine, while it is known for its aggressiveness. Never had any problems with Tamiya, so will give that a shot I think. Don't know the Sol, but could also try Alclad Gloss (the waterbased version). It will be a stressful operation anyhow 🙂

Thanks for your info!

Remco 

Micro Sol and Set are for decal softening and locking decals down tight to the surface mate.

https://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/products/manufacturers/m/microscale-modelling-solutions/

Not a fan of any Alclad products...too fragile when handled/masked etc.

Each to their own though.

Cheers

Ron

3 minutes ago, silver911 said:

Micro Sol and Set are for decal softening and locking decals down tight to the surface mate.

https://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/products/manufacturers/m/microscale-modelling-solutions/

Not a fan of any Alclad products...too fragile when handled/masked etc.

Each to their own though.

Cheers

Ron

My mistake, I thought you used a Microscale clear :-). Did exactly the same as you but with Tamiya's Mark Fit. Didn't work out so will have to clean everything up and start from the beginning. Did also have issues with the ZP basecoat by the way, somehow seemed to react with the plastic (guessing here). Had used it before in exactly the same way and no problems then.   

As for Alclad, I think it has it's cons, but it's also a matter of getting experience familiar with them. Also have good experiences in some situations with Ushi's polishing powders, especially when you are modulating surfaces (Am I using the correct terminolgy here?).

7 minutes ago, Remco said:

My mistake, I thought you used a Microscale clear :-). Did exactly the same as you but with Tamiya's Mark Fit. Didn't work out so will have to clean everything up and start from the beginning. Did also have issues with the ZP basecoat by the way, somehow seemed to react with the plastic (guessing here). Had used it before in exactly the same way and no problems then.   

As for Alclad, I think it has it's cons, but it's also a matter of getting experience familiar with them. Also have good experiences in some situations with Ushi's polishing powders, especially when you are modulating surfaces (Am I using the correct terminolgy here?).

Have read mixed opinions on the Tamiya Mark Fit...and had no problems with the Sol & Set for over a decade...so better the devil you know eh!

Agree on your points regards Alclad...just doesn't suit my techniques...again...each to their own.

I also use buffing powders...more recently the C1 Metaliser...https://www.hiroboy.com/C1_Metalizer_Metallizing_Buffing_Powder_C1MET1--product--5570.html

As for the base coat and plastic...I have explained in depth during this thread...the issues I had...my thoughts...and those of others here...as to what I thought was causing many of them...and the conclusions we came to.

Ron

16 hours ago, silver911 said:

Have read mixed opinions on the Tamiya Mark Fit...and had no problems with the Sol & Set for over a decade...so better the devil you know eh!

Agree on your points regards Alclad...just doesn't suit my techniques...again...each to their own.

I also use buffing powders...more recently the C1 Metaliser...https://www.hiroboy.com/C1_Metalizer_Metallizing_Buffing_Powder_C1MET1--product--5570.html

As for the base coat and plastic...I have explained in depth during this thread...the issues I had...my thoughts...and those of others here...as to what I thought was causing many of them...and the conclusions we came to.

Ron

Read through the whole topic and even more impressed by your build than I already was. Very inspirational and helpful for my own builds!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Remco said:

Read through the whole topic and even more impressed by your build than I already was. Very inspirational and helpful for my own builds!

So pleased it is of help to you...if it 'inspires'...so much the better 👍

Ron

3 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Wow Ron , the rubbish in the bin looks fantastic, the cut open box and oil container with residue oil,  great work.  Again who would have thought we would be talking about a bin full of rubbish!!! What a great model in it's own right. 

Chris

Thanks Chris :)

Still find it strange that such a simple detail has been so well received 🤣

We modellers are a strange bunch at times 😱

Ron

• Haha 2

Finally approaching the finish line now :)

First...a reminder of what I was aiming for...you will note a couple more small items (circled in red) that I had to scratch.....

03-1975-ferrari-312-t.jpg

Along with those two extras I have also included a box of spark plugs and relevant t spanner and ring spanner.....

IMG-7285.jpgthumbnail-IMG-7291.jpg

Then...using the above ref pic...time to start laying all the bits and pieces out within the scene...the jack/axle stands and wheel brace are the only pieces not glued in place.

Whilst not completely true to the original...I have tried to capture the atmosphere and essence of the scene.....

IMG-7294.jpgIMG-7295.jpgIMG-7297.jpgIMG-7299.jpgIMG-7300.jpgIMG-7296.jpgIMG-7298.jpg

All that remains to be done now are a mechanic and Niki himself...along with his crash helmet (which will be perched on top of the rear wing)...then it will be a case of adding them and the car plus the main cockpit shroud/air scoop (standing on the earlier made pallet).

Ron

to be continued in 2022............

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, silver911 said:

to be continued in 2022............

I've just noticed that the drill bit even has flutes! Great attention to detail as ever and now there's finally something look look forward to next year 😀 - Andy  

• Like 1