1/12 312T 1975

Hi Ron, I've finally had chance to catch up on proceedings... and I must say, I'm VERY IMPRESSEDย :thumbsup:.

I love every delicious detail... even down to the tools (nice touch).

It's a pity you've had to endure yet more paint issues, though, but your persistence and skill won out in the end.

I can't wait to see the end result....

Great job , Sirย :clap2:

ย 

Cheers, H

• Like 1

Ron, I think that you have done a great job with these decals. Especially the most prominent ones around the cockpit and on the wings look fantastic.

I can imagine that the lines and name on the cockpit surround were a PITAย ๐Ÿ‘

ย 

23 hours ago, harveyb258 said:

Hi Ron, I've finally had chance to catch up on proceedings... and I must say, I'm VERY IMPRESSEDย :thumbsup:.

I love every delicious detail... even down to the tools (nice touch).

It's a pity you've had to endure yet more paint issues, though, but your persistence and skill won out in the end.

I can't wait to see the end result....

Great job , Sirย :clap2:

ย 

Cheers, H

ย 

Glad you enjoyed catching up mate...missed your input of late.

Tools were needed to complete the intended final presentation...and will enhance the 'story' behind the scene.

Must admit...the issues I have encountered with plastic and paint I just wasn't prepared for...never had such problems in all my yearsย ๐Ÿคฌ

Only thing I can say...I learned a lot of new tricks in trying to overcome them :)

ย 

Your not the only one who wants to see the end result now.

ย 

Appreciate your comments as always mate.

Edited by silver911
added text
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Pouln said:

Ron, I think that you have done a great job with these decals. Especially the most prominent ones around the cockpit and on the wings look fantastic.

I can imagine that the lines and name on the cockpit surround were a PITAย ๐Ÿ‘

ย 

ย 

To be honest Poul...if I hadn't had two sets of decals to work with...there is no way I would have been able to complete this stage!

A great number of the designs are made up of several pieces...with the lines being the hardest to get down in as near to the right place...and some being too big/wide etc. for the intended area they are meant for.

There are 18 separate decals for the shroud alone...with 19 on each of the side pods...so believe me...not an exercise I would want to repeat any time soonย ๐Ÿ˜ฑ

ย 

Many thanks for comment mate :)

ย 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oh yes it all looks very nice with the paint sorted and the decals onย  ย hope final assembly goes well, this is going to be a stunner for sure.

Great workย 

Chris

ย 

A lot of complex assembly and more detailing to be done next...primarily on finishing the cockpit...then the rear wing sub-assembly can join the chassis...which means the last cables/wiring and hoses can finally be routed.

ย 

If I can do all that without damaging any of the bodywork...I will be a very happy bunny :)

ย 

Cheers for comment Chris.

• Like 1

It's all looking great despite all your problems Ron, and like your Ducati I now have an incredible reference work to use when I start mine.ย 

Thanks mate.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kpnuts said:

It's all looking great despite all your problems Ron, and like your Ducati I now have an incredible reference work to use when I start mine.ย 

Thanks mate.

ย 

I would normally regard the odd problem as a learning experience...however...this one kinda took me by surprise...more so when it's gets into chemical reactions between mediums...all got a bit too complex for my taste.

ย 

Glad it will give you something to use as a reference source for yours mate :)

ย 

It's a great reference source mate (just hoping since mine is the ex protar version it will have different plastic and I will escape your problems)( in any case you've shown how to deal with that even if it does rear its ugly head)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kpnuts said:

It's a great reference source mate (just hoping since mine is the ex protar version it will have different plastic and I will escape your problems)( in any case you've shown how to deal with that even if it does rear its ugly head)

ย 

From what I remember of the 'Protar'...it's light on detail...and the plastic was a mix of 'soft' and brittle.

Decals were very thin...with the white one's being weak over the red...would recommend satin clear before decals go down...as gloss makes that problem worse!

ย 

Be interested to see it when you get it mate.

8 minutes ago, silver911 said:

ย 

Decals were very thin...with the white one's being weak over the red...would recommend satin clear before decals go down...as gloss makes that problem worse!

ย 

Very useful for me to know this. Thanks.ย 

• Like 1

I was wondering that very thing Ron and I was wondering about masking and spraying the white on the larger areas then laying the decals on that (how difficult do you think that would be) that's a great tip about satin coat with strong colours, I would never have thought of that (is there a risk of silvering or dose that only happen if you decal over matt)

Thanks mate ๐Ÿ‘

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, kpnuts said:

I was wondering that very thing Ron and I was wondering about masking and spraying the white on the larger areas then laying the decals on that (how difficult do you think that would be) that's a great tip about satin coat with strong colours, I would never have thought of that (is there a risk of silvering or dose that only happen if you decal over matt)

Thanks mate ๐Ÿ‘

ย 

Take a look at my last posted pics mate...the BBK decals I used...which were kindly donated to me for the build by Wim of BBK...are also thin...and I used satin clear under mine...with no sign of 'silvering' that I can find.

ย 

I did experiment with masking on some spare red parts...and gave up...simply because...although there are a couple of reasonable sized white areas...they are bordered by fine lining.

Main problem being...without a dedicated mask cutting machine...trying to accurately copy the curves and widths etc. was way beyond me.

ย 

ย 

With the clear coat nice and hardened off since compound and polish were applied...time to get back to some assembly.

Here is where the chassis stood prior to to starting the next stages.....

IMG-7162.jpg

ย 

Having planned out the upcoming stages of the build...and with finishing the cockpit being the primary concern...first to go on were the top side panels.

After a bit of slight adjustment was found to be needed...with said adjustments made...the first panel went on quite easily.....

IMG-7163.jpg

ย 

Followed by the other side.....

IMG-7164.jpg

ย 

I haven't yet decided on whether to leave the small access flaps open or closed.

ย 

Next came the top radiator pipes which...again...needed some adjustments to get them fitted nicely to their connecting points.....

IMG-7165.jpg

ย 

IMG-7166.jpg

ย 

And this is where it stands now.....

IMG-7168.jpg

ย 

Once the glue has hardened off fully...next up will be the routing of all the cabels already in place...along with the cables and wiring for the dashboard and steering wheel etc. ...and then I can call the cockpit/tub done :)

ย 

Ron

ย 

to be continued............

ย 

ย 

Edited by silver911
added text
  • Like 10

Hi Ron,

ย 

Thats looking great, all the extra details really make it look busy - in a good way of course!

What glue do you use to fix the panels in place and do you localy remove the paint to get a plastic to plastic glue joint?

ย 

Malc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andy J said:

All you're hard work is beginning to come together now Ron i feel a masterpiece is being created ๐Ÿ‘Œย 

ย 

Cheers Any...a long way to go yet...but yes...I am pleased with the way it's progressing so far :)

ย 

Ron

• Like 1

On 10/24/2021 at 4:49 PM, Malc2 said:

Hi Ron,

ย 

Thats looking great, all the extra details really make it look busy - in a good way of course!

What glue do you use to fix the panels in place and do you localy remove the paint to get a plastic to plastic glue joint?

ย 

Malc.

ย 

Hello Malc...so glad you like the 'busy' look...and detail level.

ย 

For the top side panels I used 3M double sided tape to fix them in place...using that meant no paint or finishes had to be removed to get a very strong bond...and no risk of unwanted scratches or excess adhesives damaging surrounding areas.

In other areas...where I have used metal fixings etc. ...I tend to use thin CA sparingly.

ย 

Hope that helps answer your question mate.

ย 

Ron

Edited by silver911