1/12 312T 1975

Nice figure Adrian.

For me personally...and as a figure painter for four decades...I find the inclusion of figures tends to destroy the illusion of reality in anything above 120 mm (1/16).

Having said that...items such as tools and crash helmets can enhance such scenes...which is why I will be including such in the final display.

Thanks for comment...always appreciated :)

Ron

I have been trying to move this build forward for a few weeks now...not withstanding the huge loss of my close friend 'Mr C'...I have encountered the same issues with the main cowl...as I did with the wings!

Fortunately...the rest of the body panels did not present similar problems.....

IMG-7025.jpgIMG-7026.jpg

On first glance...the main cowling doesn't look too bad.....

IMG-7023.jpgIMG-7024.jpg

However...when you look closer at the rear areas...the problem becomes more evident.....

IMG-7027.jpgIMG-7028.jpgIMG-7029.jpg

Some of the issue is orange peel...from trying to cover the problem...and can be buffed out to a degree.

My hope is that...with a gentle sanding/buffing...I can then give it all a light coat of clear...and move on to the decals.

I will give it a week before I attempt the sanding...just to make sure it has fully dried...and also to see if the problem gets any worse.

Fingers crossed 😱

to be continued............

• Like 10

13 hours ago, Pouln said:

Gee, the modelling gods are not with you on this, Ron.

Hope you can get it sanded and glossed.

They seem hell bent on causing me as much grief as possible on this Poul 🤬

Will know better after a gentle sand...just hope the paint holds up...haven't got much left now 😱

4 hours ago, Matt Crane said:

Ron, I’m sure you’ll achieve excellent results as you did with rear wing 👊

Thanks for the vote of confidence Matt :)

Ron

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Vesa Jussila said:

I really hope you can solve this. It's so nice build. With careful sanding it should be possible to solve.

Will try my best to cut it back...although I feel it will need me to use up the last of the red I have left...but...if that's what it takes...so be it.

Ron

• Like 1

HI Ron, yes, that somewhat patterned/mottled finish on the paint.  I've had that happen from time to time - and still don't know what causes it!  Your solution of a light sand, might do the trick - are you thinking of adding another topcoat of the red over that sanded finish/overall car (painting it all reduces the chance of highs and lows in the final red)?  I've tried that and had pretty good luck, then add the clear coat(s).  The new topcoat might result in a uniform finish over the "pattern" that exists without requiring a full repaint.

If anyone can solve this, it's you!  

Looking forward to the next installment!

Cheers

Nick 

• Like 1

On 9/21/2021 at 5:17 PM, Stickframe said:

HI Ron, yes, that somewhat patterned/mottled finish on the paint.  I've had that happen from time to time - and still don't know what causes it!  Your solution of a light sand, might do the trick - are you thinking of adding another topcoat of the red over that sanded finish/overall car (painting it all reduces the chance of highs and lows in the final red)?  I've tried that and had pretty good luck, then add the clear coat(s).  The new topcoat might result in a uniform finish over the "pattern" that exists without requiring a full repaint.

If anyone can solve this, it's you!  

Looking forward to the next installment!

Cheers

Nick 

Hi Nick,

I have now tried different ratio's of thinners...two different airbrushes...and several changes in the psi...as well as needle/nozzle combinations...finally I tried some different panels at a variety of those settings...the cowl was the only panel that caused the problem!

That confirms my suspicion of it again being the underlying plastic...exactly as it was with the wings.

I have since sanded and washed the cowl...and yes...it's had another 3 top coats of red...which has been drying for 72 hours...so...fingers crossed 😱

Being candid...even having identified the source of the problem (the plastic)...and doing the same things I did with/to the wings...the level of frustration it has brought to the build is an obstacle I did not expect to face.

Hopefully I will have an update over the next day or so.

Ron

Right...further to my comments to Nick...I retrieved the cowl from the drying cupboard this morning...whilst still not perfect...a world of difference to the last update :)

IMG-7100.jpgIMG-7101.jpg

Although there is still a slight mottle/orange peel visible...in reality...it's far less visible to the naked eye...at least to my tired old eyes anyway!

With all the panels now at this level of top coat finish or better...it's time to give it all a coat or three of clear in readiness for decals 😱

• Like 7

Hiya Ron having looked at your latest pic's of the cowl I think you can be confident of a very satisfying outcome. As you say a few coats of clear and that cowl will look splendid 👌. Definitely worth the extra care and effort imo top work again mate 👍 👏 

• Like 1

Looking much better, Ron. I trust you will get it right with gloss end polishing.

I always find that pictures show every little flaw that you do not normally see with the naked eye.

In reality it will probably be fine. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Andy J said:

Hiya Ron having looked at your latest pic's of the cowl I think you can be confident of a very satisfying outcome. As you say a few coats of clear and that cowl will look splendid 👌. Definitely worth the extra care and effort imo top work again mate 👍 👏 

Yep...have to say I am pleased with the cowl (paint) now :)

18 hours ago, Matt Crane said:

Yes! 

Exactly my reaction Matt 🤣

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Pouln said:

Looking much better, Ron. I trust you will get it right with gloss end polishing.

I always find that pictures show every little flaw that you do not normally see with the naked eye.

In reality it will probably be fine. 

I find camera's to be a double edged sword Poul...either your best friend...or your worst enemy!

After finishing the red the other day...I did a test of the clear on a couple of small pieces...results were very encouraging :).....am using this as opposed to 2k.......https://www.hiroboy.com/Clearcoat_Lacquer_250ml_Prethinned_ready_for_Airbrushing--product--1510.html

It's not so much the seal coat for the decals that concerns me...if they go down ok...it will be the final coats of clear and...of course...the buffing/polishing...that will govern everything.

Ron

19 hours ago, Stickframe said:

Yes - our friend and enemy - the camera!  Can make a mediocre paint job look good, and point out each and every flaw in a great paint job!  The magic of our hobby!  Glad to see you seem to have this back on track!

Cheers

Nick 

Yep...agreed on all your points regarding camera's Nick.

Will hopefully be laying down base coat of clear on Sunday 😱

Nice save Ron :) 

I agree with the other comments though, I've decalled, glossed and polished before and thought, "Wow, I'm a great painter, best ever" kind of reactions, then I've took pics for the gallery etc and thought "I need to go to specsavers" as the photos show every little flaw in greater detail 🤣

Amazing how the clear coat will smooth out the slight orange peel though :) 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Redstaff said:

Nice save Ron :) 

I agree with the other comments though, I've decalled, glossed and polished before and thought, "Wow, I'm a great painter, best ever" kind of reactions, then I've took pics for the gallery etc and thought "I need to go to specsavers" as the photos show every little flaw in greater detail 🤣

Amazing how the clear coat will smooth out the slight orange peel though :) 

Hello mate,

it certainly looks a lot better than it did previously...although I suspect changing to a different airbrush...one with a 'mac' valve...helped a lot...in as much as I had more control over the width of the spray pattern...which...combined with a change in the 'angle of attack'...being that I sprayed across the surface...as opposed to directly on to it...allowed me to avoid striping this time.

My hope is that a couple of seal coats before the decals go down...will mask any slight orange peel that remains...and will be covered by the final clear coats...allowing me to level everything with compound and wax.

Ron

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

After four weeks of fighting with this beast...finally got it to this stage.

Decals were an absolute nightmare...and far from perfect...but as good as my eyes and hands would allow.

Yes...there are imperfections and errors...however...having got this far...I can now get back to some assembly.

I will let the pictures and your eyes decide.......

IMG-7147.jpgIMG-7148.jpgIMG-7149.jpgIMG-7150.jpgIMG-7151.jpgIMG-7152.jpgIMG-7153.jpgIMG-7154.jpgIMG-7155.jpgIMG-7156.jpg

With a lot of complex assembly now to do...such as joining the main air scoop to the cockpit shroud...the rear wing to it's support and then to the chassis...some struggles still to come 😱

Having said that...I am really pleased to have got this far after all the previous issues :)

Ron

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1