1/12 312T 1975

49 minutes ago, Pouln said:

Ah yes, I can see that Molotow will not help here. 

My thinking is simply to change the hue...nothing more than transparent white oil paint...with a little bit of luck it will work 😉

Been waiting for some paint etc. to arrive but...in the interim I managed to find a really nice set of PE tools in 1/12.

Whilst I realise that some are more to do with carpentry than mechanics...it still left me with a good number of useful ones to add to those I have made or modified...

IMG-6691.jpgIMG-6692.jpg

Except for the spanners...the rest of them are made up of multiple layers...all of which fit perfectly to each other :)

I won't bore you with the specifics...suffice it to say...materials used were...brass...ali...nickel silver...steel and...of course...plastic...plus a couple of bits of heat shrink...and some solder.

For painting I used a combination of...acrylics...inks...lacquers...plus my usual oils.

Some detail painting still needs to be done but...in the main...they can be put aside until the final setting is ready...

IMG-6713.jpgIMG-6714.jpgIMG-6715.jpgIMG-6716.jpg

IMG-6702.jpgIMG-6717.jpgIMG-6703.jpgIMG-6701.jpg

There are some more pieces primed awaiting paint...

IMG-6710.jpg

I have also made a start on some of the bodywork...the main air scoop and the rear wing support.

These have had several layers of Tamiya Lacquer White (LP-2)...and have since been flatted...ready for their final coats...so these are not yet the final result...

IMG-6687.jpgIMG-6688.jpgIMG-6689.jpg

to be continued.......

Ron

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

An impressive body of work, fully up to the level you have in the car.

Especially impressive is the jack - plenty of pit use down to bare metal. A totally believable group of tools that get hard use.

Bravo. :worthy:

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Codger said:

An impressive body of work, fully up to the level you have in the car.

Especially impressive is the jack - plenty of pit use down to bare metal. A totally believable group of tools that get hard use.

Bravo. :worthy:

Thanks as always Mr C :)

A good distraction whilst waiting for other materials to arrive...and will hopefully add an extra level to the final display.

Ron

• 2 weeks later...

A small update whilst waiting for compound to arrive and...hopefully...one of the last accessories needed for the final display...although there are a couple more I can now think of !

The 1/12 Tamiya tool set includes a couple of axle stands...but they just look too small and flimsy for my taste...so...another bit of scratching was needed.

First the kit stands...

1a1.jpg

At 15mm high...and with a footprint of the same size...they just didn't look right next to the chassis...so...using plastic tube and some ali plate...wire and a couple of banjo's for the pins...these are what I came up with...

1a2.jpg1a3.jpg

Again...just for the hell of it...they are fully operable...and look much better to my eye...

1a4.jpg1a5.jpg

Now it's a case of painting/weathering and detailing all the bits that have accumulated for the final setting :)

Ron

to be continued.......

• Like 4

Forgive my comically childish mind but those Tamiya stands rather resemble Sci-Fi rocketships of the '50's.

You are putting together quite a 'salad' of details to make a pit-side scene 'real life'. Especially good is that many are scratch built.

Anxious to see the chassis and body reappear...:penguin:

• Like 1

Hi Ron - changing out the jack stands is a good idea.  Like you, I don't like flimsy parts! I can easily imagine those jack stands toppling over and snapping during setup.  Your improved parts look stronger and better.  Making them adjustable is a good idea too.  I'm sure you 've been testing the parts as you've been going, so once it comes time to set up the scene,  you'll be able to adjust them to suit your vision of the build.  Oh! just noticed your reuse of the brass eye bolt! very nice!  You could add a thin metal rod from the head, along the spine to the handle, and now you've got a torque wrench!  Looking good!

Cheers

Nick 

• Like 1

What an amazing build so far,  I am about a quarter of the way through at the mo but will have to complete in stages due  to time etc

I like all your scratch and modified parts, which is fantastic work. 

Very impressive indeed.

Chris

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Codger said:

Forgive my comically childish mind but those Tamiya stands rather resemble Sci-Fi rocketships of the '50's.

You are putting together quite a 'salad' of details to make a pit-side scene 'real life'. Especially good is that many are scratch built.

Anxious to see the chassis and body reappear...:penguin:

Humorous viewpoint Mr C...true though :)

Have enjoyed the diversion of some scratching...and putting the tools and accessories in place now will save a lot of time and effort later.

Bodywork bits I sprayed are just waiting for compound to arrive...so won't be long now.

Ron

15 hours ago, Stickframe said:

Hi Ron - changing out the jack stands is a good idea.  Like you, I don't like flimsy parts! I can easily imagine those jack stands toppling over and snapping during setup.  Your improved parts look stronger and better.  Making them adjustable is a good idea too.  I'm sure you 've been testing the parts as you've been going, so once it comes time to set up the scene,  you'll be able to adjust them to suit your vision of the build.  Oh! just noticed your reuse of the brass eye bolt! very nice!  You could add a thin metal rod from the head, along the spine to the handle, and now you've got a torque wrench!  Looking good!

Cheers

Nick 

I just couldn't bring myself to use the tool set one's Nick...no way they would have supported the model!

In having made the jack operable...these had to work too...plus it was only natural to see if it could be done.

As for the torque wrench...look back at page 10 on the thread (scroll down) :)

Cheers

Ron

11 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

What an amazing build so far,  I am about a quarter of the way through at the mo but will have to complete in stages due  to time etc

I like all your scratch and modified parts, which is fantastic work. 

Very impressive indeed.

Chris

Really pleased your enjoying the build Chris :)

Much as the base kit is a nice starting point...it does benefit from some attention to detail...a large part of that requires some scratch work...which I enjoy doing...and also adds the 'unique' aspect to the finished build.

Many thanks for comment...much appreciated.

Ron

• Like 1

Ha!  Indeed!  Seems that torque wrench caught my eye then, and again now!  And, a real treat to go back and have a look at your work on the engine/rear end - and also again, my articulate reply - wow!!  I seem to have forgotten just how good it all looks!  and yes, it still looks great, and I'll again say, beyond the obvious work with paint, your subtle variation in tones and textures is what really makes this car special.

I sure hope you have something with lots and lots of tedious detail and materials lined up for your next project!  😁

Cheers

Nick 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/24/2021 at 9:12 PM, Stickframe said:

Ha!  Indeed!  Seems that torque wrench caught my eye then, and again now!  And, a real treat to go back and have a look at your work on the engine/rear end - and also again, my articulate reply - wow!!  I seem to have forgotten just how good it all looks!  and yes, it still looks great, and I'll again say, beyond the obvious work with paint, your subtle variation in tones and textures is what really makes this car special.

I sure hope you have something with lots and lots of tedious detail and materials lined up for your next project!  😁

Cheers

Nick 

How soon we forger eh! 🤣

I have gone back over the thread a few times myself...even having the beast in front of me...I forget how much has gone into it so far.

Yep...next project is booked 😉

Cheers for comment Nick :)

Ron

7 hours ago, silver911 said:

I have gone back over the thread a few times myself...even having the beast in front of me...I forget how much has gone into it so far.

Yes, a favorite term of mine is 'the body of work' and I can't overstate the importance of reviewing what one has accomplished. Just as you did here Ron.

I found in my own work that it sharpens attention on things missed or could have been done better. Indeed, it can change the direction of the build (as mine did) possibly many times.

In your case here you started out building a good 312T. You found much in the kit not to your liking and references. So you upped the ante on scratch and aftermarket parts to reach many levels higher. Further adding your huge finish skills.

And somewhere came the thought of where in time and place to locate the finished car. That led you to bring the full orchestra of tools and surroundings to create a moment-in-life event.

If they are really listening, you are teaching your audience here a master class. I thank you personally.

C

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Codger said:

Yes, a favorite term of mine is 'the body of work' and I can't overstate the importance of reviewing what one has accomplished. Just as you did here Ron.

I found in my own work that it sharpens attention on things missed or could have been done better. Indeed, it can change the direction of the build (as mine did) possibly many times.

In your case here you started out building a good 312T. You found much in the kit not to your liking and references. So you upped the ante on scratch and aftermarket parts to reach many levels higher. Further adding your huge finish skills.

And somewhere came the thought of where in time and place to locate the finished car. That led you to bring the full orchestra of tools and surroundings to create a moment-in-life event.

If they are really listening, you are teaching your audience here a master class. I thank you personally.

C

Whilst important to review...it's also a 'double edged sword'...for the reasons you give...things missed...or could have been done better...which quite often comes to light with late found ref pics...as I have done on three occasions now!

I freely admit that...even having spent two weeks looking at the kit...writing copious notes and a build plan...I still made some errors of judgement...not least of which was the amount of PE I used...98% of which has no benefit in raising the detail level !

TBH...I have had more fun scratching parts...adding metal...using after market fittings etc. ...than using so much PE that will never be seen...even in a semi 'undressed' state as I intend to display it when finished.

As for the final 'moment in time' display...that evolved from the realisation that so much work would disappear if I just displayed it as simply a model of a racing car.

That realisation brought about the need to think seriously about how I could maintain a high level of realism in the presentation...to match the work I have put into the car itself...which confirms your 'change of direction' point nicely...and created the need for tools etc. ...and yet more scratched parts...and further need to research those items...and so it goes on...the ever evolving story of a build.

Personally...I believe we all tend to look back on aspects of our builds...and see things we wished we had done better...but that is what the next build is always about 😉

Many thanks for comment and insights Mr C :)

Ron

As always astonishing levels of detail Ron (am I envious,         ,            ,         ,you bet)

As Mr C says a master class.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2021 at 11:31 AM, kpnuts said:

As always astonishing levels of detail Ron (am I envious,         ,            ,         ,you bet)

As Mr C says a master class.

Much appreciated mate :)

I enjoy pushing the accepted limits/levels of detail in each build...and this tells me how far I can go in the next.

Cheers

Ron

• Like 1

Off line Ron and I have been discussing the rear wing differences for the 312T in 1975 and the first three rounds of 1976.

So I thought it would be worth while posting the results here so everyone can chip in.

The attached image shows what I have gleaned from period photos of each race.

Please feel free to comment or add info if you can see anything that looks wrong!

Click on the image twice to get the full size.

Another change to the rear edge of the main wing element of the type two wing

New V3 image uploaded with correction.

IMG-6662-V3.jpg

Malc.

Edited by Malc2
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Malc2 said:

Off line Ron and I have been discussing the rear wing differences for the 312T in 1975 and the first three rounds of 1976.

So I thought it would be worth while posting the results here so everyone can chip in.

The attached image shows what I have gleaned from period photos of each race.

Please feel free to comment or add info if you can see anything that looks wrong!

Click on the image twice to get the full size.

OK so I have marked my own homework and found some mistakes already 😞 7/10

New image uploaded with corrections.

IMG-6662-V2.jpg

Malc.

Perfect Malc...very much appreciated 👍

Now all I have to do is replicate it 😱

Ron

2 hours ago, Codger said:

Very nice presentation and a good service for the lads here.

Thank you Malc - now we'll see how Ron executes it. You guys are doing 'factory' work. :worthy:

Damn...was gonna pass it over to you Mr C 🤬

• Haha 1

I have caught up and wow wow wow, iam absolutely awestruck at your detail work.  The Engine and complicated hoses and wiringand all your scratch work, the working tools such as jack and axle stands.  I recon just add some fuel and it will fire up. Looks flippin real absolutely amazing. 

Very inspirational thread and work.

Chris

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

I have caught up and wow wow wow, iam absolutely awestruck at your detail work.  The Engine and complicated hoses and wiringand all your scratch work, the working tools such as jack and axle stands.  I recon just add some fuel and it will fire up. Looks flippin real absolutely amazing. 

Very inspirational thread and work.

Chris

Very pleased you find it inspirational Chris...makes all the effort worthwhile if others find it useful.

With Malcs hugely helpful drawing of the rear wing...that should see the completion of all the needed scratch work...then again..............

Cheers

Ron

• Like 1