1/12 312T 1975

5 hours ago, Miko_Skye said:

I literally registered to comment on this build. It is exceptional. The quality, the detail, astonishing. Cannot wait to see the finished car.

That is a huge compliment...and very much appreciated :)

Thank you.

Ron

5 hours ago, Octavian said:

Astonishing work. It almost seems a shame to cover up all that beautiful engine detail and metal work with the body of the car.

Hi Andrew,

thank you for comment...means a lot :)

As I mentioned earlier in the thread...in reply to a similar comment from Andy...I intend to leave some of the bodywork off for display purposes.

Ron

• Like 2

With the help of Malc2...thanks mate :)...I have now been able to cut and route the hoses from the Medical Oxygen tank...and the smaller breather tank correctly...and have also added the small trumpet + fitting and hose...as well as adding the wire 'pull' inside it...lastly I made the two fittings just behind where the pipes from the front radiators join the engine + their hoses...and made corrections to the radiator pipe ends.

Pics show all these pieces...apart from said pipes...which will go on after the top body panels are added...before and after fitting in place...

IMG-6610.jpgIMG-6611.jpgthumbnail-IMG-6605.jpg

Some pics of the pieces in place...

IMG-6626.jpgIMG-6627.jpgIMG-6628.jpgIMG-6629.jpgIMG-6630.jpg

Ron

to be continued.......

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

In between all the detail work on the chassis...I have been preparing the body panels that will be on the car when displayed.

Of all these panels...the ones requiring the most work were the side pontoons...which are made up of several pieces to each side.

I had to cut a new viewing slot for the oil level pipe...as having made a new one from scratch...the corrected position did not line up with the slot.

Another addition were the fixing plates and fixtures between the mid and rear sections...

IMG-6617.jpgIMG-6619.jpgIMG-6624.jpgIMG-6625.jpg

I will prime them next...which will give me a better idea of what still needs doing to them.

Ron

to be continued.......

• Like 3

These close up shots show how incredibly 'real' you got the meshes for the intakes. Brilliant details everywhere. Bodywork an example of how  complex the original car was.

Strongly suggest, when not working on it, you cover it with wax paper, trash bag or any non-lint type towel. Dust is your enemy.

676-pasted-Graphic.png

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Codger said:

These close up shots show how incredibly 'real' you got the meshes for the intakes. Brilliant details everywhere. Bodywork an example of how  complex the original car was.

Strongly suggest, when not working on it, you cover it with wax paper, trash bag or any non-lint type towel. Dust is your enemy.

676-pasted-Graphic.png

Strangely enough...the meshes...or rather the colour of them...is still bugging me Mr C but...as yet...I am undecided what to do about it!

Agree on the hazards of dust between layers of primer/colour/clear...and apart from using them for my painting techniques...I also keep a large 'make-up' brush (they are anti static) to dust off surfaces when airbrushing as a final deterrent.

As for keeping parts dust free in the mean time...I use a selection of sizes of plastic airtight food containers.

Many thanks for comments and support as always :)

Ron

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt Crane said:

Ron, the level of detailing and  the skills to achieve that is something to wish for! Your 312T4 is just staggering.

Many thanks for kind words Matt :)

I guess that I ain't doing so bad for a 69 year old with shaky hands and dim eyes 🤣

And it keeps me off the streets!

Cheers

Ron

• Like 1

7 hours ago, silver911 said:

Many thanks for kind words Matt :)

I guess that I ain't doing so bad for a 69 year old with shaky hands and dim eyes 🤣

And it keeps me off the streets!

Cheers

Ron

So the 17 year head start must explain the difference in skills and patience needed… 😄

I still may have some hope…

Cheers

• Haha 1

Ron, it's like looking at a real car being assembled. So precise, so clean, what an outstanding piece of art.

My hat's off to you sir.

Sincerely

Pascal

• Like 1

On 5/13/2021 at 9:18 PM, Codger said:

Can any Tifosi here explain to me, the whole 'oxygen bottle for driver' business on the 1:1 which Ron has painfully reproduced here?

1. I would hate to drive anything at 160+ MPH with a compressed volatile gas tank inches from my head. (Held on by straps!).

2. Said tank is also in proximity to a tank (maybe a bladder?) of race fuel. Ensuring a bigger KABOOM.

3. If there is a wreck, the driver would need extrication, rather than oxygen I would think.

Am I just a worry wart?? :mental:

You called me Mr. C ? :)

The tank wasn't filled with oxygen, but with "medical air". Medical air is sort of like ambient air and less volatile than pure oxygen. The tank was introduced in the late 70's, because accident investigators believed that not fires but lack of air killed drivers (or caused severe lung injuries like the Lauda accident). The idea was to let the driver breathe fresh air while he was waiting to be rescued from his burning vehicle. Some driver had helmets in which they could insert the tube from the medical air bottle, others had a kind of "skirt" on the underside of the helmet, the tube could be pushed underneath that skirt. The air was released from the medical air tank when the fire extinguisher system activated. After a few seasons, it was abandoned because of increased safety regulations. People like Sid Watkins played a major role in improving safety for F1 drivers.

Sincerely

Pascal

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pascal said:

Thanks for keeping an eye on me Pascal, I regard you and JoNZ as the 'on track' experts in professional race series.

An excellent explanation. But still no good reasons to have heavy objects up high near a drivers head. Only shows how much progress has been made to today's space capsules-on-wheels in F-1. That '70's idea would have been tragic to Romain if in place today. :phew:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pascal said:

Ron, it's like looking at a real car being assembled. So precise, so clean, what an outstanding piece of art.

My hat's off to you sir.

Sincerely

Pascal

Thank you for those kind words Pascal...always sincerely appreciated :)

7 hours ago, Pascal said:

The tank wasn't filled with oxygen, but with "medical air". Medical air is sort of like ambient air and less volatile than pure oxygen. The tank was introduced in the late 70's, because accident investigators believed that not fires but lack of air killed drivers (or caused severe lung injuries like the Lauda accident). The idea was to let the driver breathe fresh air while he was waiting to be rescued from his burning vehicle. Some driver had helmets in which they could insert the tube from the medical air bottle, others had a kind of "skirt" on the underside of the helmet, the tube could be pushed underneath that skirt. The air was released from the medical air tank when the fire extinguisher system activated. After a few seasons, it was abandoned because of increased safety regulations. People like Sid Watkins played a major role in improving safety for F1 drivers.

Sincerely

Pascal

Thank you for that perfect explanation and insight into times gone by Pascal 👍

Ron

• Thanks 1

With the side pontoons and top side panels cleaned up...and fit checked and adjusted where needed...which was minimal thankfully...I just couldn't resist a few pics of the beast with some clothes on!

IMG-6645.jpgIMG-6641.jpgIMG-6642.jpgIMG-6643.jpgIMG-6640.jpgIMG-6644.jpg

Whilst the panels do hide a considerable amount of the work done...it does begin to look like the elegant beast it was.

Ron

to be continued.......

• Like 10

4 hours ago, TonyW said:

Quite amazing.

When you fire it up for the first time, keep the revs high, and don't forget to have a fire extinguisher or two handy.

Tony.

Thanks for the advice Tony...and pleased you like it so far :)

Ron

4 hours ago, Codger said:

Yes this looks the business. Will be visually bonkers in gleaming red and white.

-And keep the cat outside.............:nono:

Correct white on the way...already have the red...so paint soon Mr C :))

Cat has been sectioned for the duration 🤣

Liking the look of the bodywork already Ron, will look even better in full gloss  :) 

Like others have said, the level of detail keeps making me double take whether I'm looking at your pics or reference pics of the real car

Just keep the cat out of the way ;) 

Ian :) 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Stickframe said:

Wow!  Ron, even with the unfinished parts, this looks great!  It will be fantastic when all wrapped up! Ahh....easier said than done!  Still some challenges ahead!

Cheers

Nick 

Hi Nick,

biggest challenge...after colour...are of course the decals...kit ones are an unknown 😱...however...I was fortunate to be gifted a set of his own by Wim (BestBalsa Kits)...so have a fighting chance with those...then it's the clear...so yes...a few hurdles to come yet.

Cheers :)

Ron

11 hours ago, CrazyCrank said:

Still and always a mind-blowing job, and photographs that illustrate perfectly all the work done :)

Many thanks for kind words Thierry...always much appreciated :)

Ron

28 minutes ago, Redstaff said:

Liking the look of the bodywork already Ron, will look even better in full gloss  :) 

Like others have said, the level of detail keeps making me double take whether I'm looking at your pics or reference pics of the real car

Just keep the cat out of the way ;) 

Ian :) 

Thanks Ian,

even though I had pre-fitted the panels earlier on...having added so many bits and pieces extra to the kit parts...it's always a worry...no matter how careful you are...that something will cause an unseen problem!

It also surprised me just how much those pontoons and body panels change the look of the chassis!...it really shows how clever the race engineers were at hiding such a jumble of parts...and creating a thing of sleek beauty.

Cat is duly sedated :)

Ron

• Like 1