1/12 312T 1975

1 hour ago, Michael Church said:

Ron @silver911, thank you for taking the time to restore the photos. As others have said, your work isn't just astounding, it's accompanied by text that helps us all improve. 

Many thanks for kind words and support Michael...just wish it hadn't happened in the first place...but glad pics and text are useful to all.

Ron

On 4/28/2021 at 4:29 PM, silver911 said:

Hope you all agree...not too bad a result...

No, I do not agree. Not at all actually. You show us outstanding results, Ron. The level of detail you’ve added, the paint job, the... wel actually everything is looking so life-like.

Fantastic!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Pouln said:

No, I do not agree. Not at all actually. You show us outstanding results, Ron. The level of detail you’ve added, the paint job, the... wel ecually everything is looking so life-like.

Fantastic!

Thank you for your comments Poul...always much appreciated...and pleased you find it all 'believable' :)

Ron

Time for an update on this beast :)

Having made the front rolll bar from ali...it was a natural progression to make the rear one from ali as well 😱

In order to make things easier...I used the plastic kit pieces as a template...this was assembled in situ and left to harden overnight...giving me a nice template to work from for the ali pieces...

A1C.jpg

I put together the main hoop and cross bar along with the rear support...

A2C.jpgA3C.jpg

The kit includes the 'Medical Oxygen tank...but does not include the smaller one next to it...so this was scratched from metal and fittings plus some semi clear hose.

I also refined the alternator wiring...as this needed fitting before the roll cage...

A6C.jpg

The kit oxygen tank is basic...and is fitted to two prongs on the cross bar...on the 1:1 this is actually strapped to the bar with tape!

A couple of fittings were added...along with some suitable decals and given a coat of 'Klear'...with a couple of faint washes to give it depth...

IMG-6581.jpgIMG-6582.jpg

to be continued.......

• Like 7

With all the pieces cut and shaped it was time to get everything installed.

In the pics...all the bits and pieces are fixed in place...alternator wiring...roll cage...medical oxygen tank (held on with tape straps as per the 1:1)...the smaller tank/valve...and semi clear tubing (which needs routing once everything is fully cured)...

IMG-6588.jpgIMG-6589.jpgIMG-6590.jpgIMG-6591.jpgIMG-6592.jpgIMG-6593.jpgIMG-6594.jpgIMG-6595.jpgIMG-6597.jpgIMG-6604.jpg

Just a few pics of chassis as it now stands...

IMG-6599.jpgIMG-6601.jpgIMG-6602.jpgIMG-6603.jpg

Let me know your thoughts and any suggestions for what I may have missed.

Ron

to be continued.......

• Like 17

OK I'll start off with 'staggering'. More plumbing than a Turkish bath - all for a 3 liter normally aspirated engine. Amazing.

What stands out is your determination to build every single detail of the original - and your skill at executing that. The cage in particular has such a structural look with perfect angles and joins.

Ron you asked for what you may have missed but only a team mechanic would know. With proper backdrops and lighting this will be 'the real thing'.

Bravo -:worthy:

• Like 1

It's hard to believe possible, but the build keeps getting better and better!  I especially like the last four pictures, as they show the whole "family" of colors and textures on display - yet, none stand out more than they are supposed to!  I think it looks great

Cheers

Nick

• Like 1

On 5/12/2021 at 3:29 PM, Codger said:

OK I'll start off with 'staggering'. More plumbing than a Turkish bath - all for a 3 liter normally aspirated engine. Amazing.

What stands out is your determination to build every single detail of the original - and your skill at executing that. The cage in particular has such a structural look with perfect angles and joins.

Ron you asked for what you may have missed but only a team mechanic would know. With proper backdrops and lighting this will be 'the real thing'.

Bravo -:worthy:

Whilst it looks a lot of plumbing already...there are more hoses and wiring to come yet Mr C 😱

I am trying to include as much of the 1:1 details as I can...but freely admit that some of it is beyond my skills.

Pleased you think the roll cage works in metal...by doing it in stages and in situ...and using the kit one as a template...the angles were much easier to accomplish.

It's beginning to look as though a backdrop...much like the one you did for your RR...will have to feature in the finished display.

Many thanks for kind words and support :)

Ron

23 hours ago, Stickframe said:

It's hard to believe possible, but the build keeps getting better and better!  I especially like the last four pictures, as they show the whole "family" of colors and textures on display - yet, none stand out more than they are supposed to!  I think it looks great

Cheers

Nick

Thanks for that Nick.

In keeping the shades muted as a whole...it's all been about creating a balance...harder to maintain when trying to keep things reasonably 'clean'...although not 'showroom' as such...well maintained was what I aimed for.

Still think meshes are a tad bright...might try a dry brush of a different shade.

Cheers

Ron

Can any Tifosi here explain to me, the whole 'oxygen bottle for driver' business on the 1:1 which Ron has painfully reproduced here?

1. I would hate to drive anything at 160+ MPH with a compressed volatile gas tank inches from my head. (Held on by straps!).

2. Said tank is also in proximity to a tank (maybe a bladder?) of race fuel. Ensuring a bigger KABOOM.

3. If there is a wreck, the driver would need extrication, rather than oxygen I would think.

Am I just a worry wart?? :mental:

• Haha 2

On 5/13/2021 at 12:59 AM, rjfk2002 said:

Staggering work! With each stage it gets more impressive and realistic. The metal work is spot on 

Hi Rich,

thanks for kind words :)

Pleased you find it realistic...and like the metal work.

Cheers

Ron

56 minutes ago, Toftdale said:

Hopefully you'll be displaying this with the body off, as it would be such a shame to cover up all glorious details - Andy

Hi Andy,

my intention is to do just that...I will fit the rear wing and support...the two top side panels and the lower side panels on the beast...with the nose/front wing on the pallet...and the main cockpit surround/air scoop on the stand I made at the start of the build...or maybe make a new and less imposing one.

Although this will require a larger display case...possibly with a scratch built backdrop to enhance the presentation...it would seem the logical idea after all the extra effort I have put into the build.

Appreciate your comments and thoughts.

Ron

• Like 3

As the others have said, fabulous. It really brings home, though, what an untidy bit of engineering it was. Bits and bobs stuck on all over the place. The rather beautiful bodywork hid all manner of scruffiness. So different from today. Or from some of the immaculate cars of earlier years.

Thanks for sharing

Nick

• Like 2

17 hours ago, NickD said:

As the others have said, fabulous. It really brings home, though, what an untidy bit of engineering it was. Bits and bobs stuck on all over the place. The rather beautiful bodywork hid all manner of scruffiness. So different from today. Or from some of the immaculate cars of earlier years.

Thanks for sharing

Nick

Thanks Nick...glad you like it so far :)

They certainly were a mixed bag...with some areas seemingly thrown together as an afterthought...serious concerns for safety abound...but...as you say...with body panels in place...a sleek beauty.

Cheers for taking time to comment.

Ron

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Redstaff said:

Really nice Ron as usual

First time I've dropped in for a couple of weeks and so much to catch up with again  :)

Ian :) 

Hi Ian...glad you found time to pop in mate :)

Hope you enjoyed catching up with the beast.

Ron

• Like 1