1/12 312T 1975

12 hours ago, Stickframe said:

Hi Ron,

I was beginning to wonder when you'd share another update.  Well worth the wait!  Very clever solution and I get the point of not buying two sets of (expensive!) aftermarket kit sets.  Nice of your friend to turn the correct size press for you - what a great tool - certainly beats using a ball bearing glued to a dowel! (yes, I've tried and failed at that!) 😁  you've achieved a perfect fit, and they look the part.  And, special tip-o-the-Xacto for getting those tiny, tape "X"s in place - that could have been more difficult than shaping the mesh itself!  These will look great on the engine. 

Cheers and stay well - 

Nick 

It did take a while...and a number of attempts...to get things right with these...not least of which was getting the sizes correct of the the press and mesh holes.

Where the mesh was concerned...it was easy to form...the main problem was cutting it down to fit just on the edge of the stack...which tended to break the CA bond !

As for the bands...the cross was far easier than the band around the bottom...although...by the time I got to the last one I had it down to a fine art 🤣

Cheers for comments Nick...much appreciated :)

Ron

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rjfk2002 said:

That’s a really clever solution. Is the band at the bottom also tape? Does the mesh hold the dome shape well or do you need to glue a base to the bottom to keep it?

Yes Rich...band at the bottom is also tape.

Once stamped the mesh will withstand quite rough handling and hold the shape.

These were made to fit slightly over the edge of the kit stacks...as per the 1:1 version...so no bottom plate needed.

Cheers for comment and questions mate :)

Ron

With the meshes for the stacks made...time to fit them all to the rails...

IMG-6523.jpgIMG-6524.jpgIMG-6525.jpg

Once the glue had set it was time to think about joining the engine and chassis...and hoping that all the planning and test fitting would finally pay off...

Have plumbed in all the hoses...which just leaves the electrics.

Hope you all agree...not too bad a result...

IMG-6532.jpgIMG-6534.jpgIMG-6533.jpgIMG-6535.jpgIMG-6536.jpgIMG-6537.jpgIMG-6538.jpgIMG-6539.jpgIMG-6540.jpgIMG-6541.jpgIMG-6542.jpg

Let me know your thoughts...and any obvious errors.

Ron

to be continued.......

• Like 18

Hi Ron,

Looking great, really coming together, the added detail is fantastic.

The only things I would mention are the seat belts for '75 and '76 should be blue and say KLIPPAN twice on each belt, once above and once below the shoulder adjuster. (in '74 they were blue Willans and in '77 blue Arexons).

The tub could also do with a polish! They were quite shiny in the day, not as shiny as todays pampered cars, but the mechanics had quite a lot of pride in their cars!

Malc.

• Like 1

Your kidding right ?? - One need be a Scuderia mechanic to spot an error...:wicked:

This has now entered the 'tour-de-force' phase of your presentation. It's all coming together, layer on layer of detail and finish. You have demonstrated your 'balanced finish' goals. Something very few of us can achieve much less comprehend. Color, texture and complexity off the scale. You are pegging the talent meter.

Now being an inveterate techno-geek, I have scoured the photos for any sign of 'model car' syndrome. What I mean is everything is constructed in an absolute real world manner with real world parts. Every wire, pipe, line, linkage has a real life fitting, plug or heim joint and connects correctly.

I only spot one deviation - the upper rear coilover mount does not have a heim but 'clips' on in model fashion. And that is completely necessary as no shaft can be slid into a heim during assembly.

I am even ashamed of myself for pointing that out. It detracts not at all from the rest of the brilliance. :wall:

Sorry for being long winded ; so many visit but so few put into words what this level of work reveals. And how instructive it is.

Thanks from me....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Malc2 said:

Hi Ron,

Looking great, really coming together, the added detail is fantastic.

The only things I would mention are the seat belts for '75 and '76 should be blue and say KLIPPAN twice on each belt, once above and once below the shoulder adjuster. (in '74 they were blue Willans and in '77 blue Arexons).

The tub could also do with a polish! They were quite shiny in the day, not as shiny as todays pampered cars, but the mechanics had quite a lot of pride in their cars!

Malc.

Hi Malc...pleased you like the added detail :)

You are of course correct about the harness in all respects...however...as the kit did not come with any kind of harness or hardware...I had to go with what I had available...artistic license is my only excuse...better this one than none.

Interior panels are a lot cleaner (shiny) than photo's suggest...top panels will be covered entirely...so left them soiled.

Comments are much appreciated as always 👍

Ron

HI Ron, again, well worth the wait!  The way you extract texture, or the appearance of texture, and light grime from what is largely a flat surface is remarkable, and cool to see! 

The subtle contrast in color is sure nice, you achieve variation without screaming it out.  This observation encourages me to humbly, and bravely walk forward, and ask - could you put a light wash on the mesh? not so much to weather them, but to reveal a visual transition between the wire mesh and the flat material used for "x" bracing and the base?  Maybe better word choice is to reveal the three dimensional qualities of the overall form and materials used? or not! Looks beautiful!

Cheers, and looking forward to the next update!

Nick 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Codger said:

Your kidding right ?? - One need be a Scuderia mechanic to spot an error...:wicked:

This has now entered the 'tour-de-force' phase of your presentation. It's all coming together, layer on layer of detail and finish. You have demonstrated your 'balanced finish' goals. Something very few of us can achieve much less comprehend. Color, texture and complexity off the scale. You are pegging the talent meter.

Now being an inveterate techno-geek, I have scoured the photos for any sign of 'model car' syndrome. What I mean is everything is constructed in an absolute real world manner with real world parts. Every wire, pipe, line, linkage has a real life fitting, plug or heim joint and connects correctly.

I only spot one deviation - the upper rear coilover mount does not have a heim but 'clips' on in model fashion. And that is completely necessary as no shaft can be slid into a heim during assembly.

I am even ashamed of myself for pointing that out. It detracts not at all from the rest of the brilliance. :wall:

Sorry for being long winded ; so many visit but so few put into words what this level of work reveals. And how instructive it is.

Thanks from me....

No shame in mentioning a forced compromise Mr C...had I have planned that better...it's possible I could have disguised the connecting point to cover that in a more convincing way...my bad.

That aside...your comments are more than generous...and I accept them with gratitude.

I genuinely hope there are things that others can use in their own builds...which makes the effort so much more worthwhile to me.

Ron

13 hours ago, Stickframe said:

HI Ron, again, well worth the wait!  The way you extract texture, or the appearance of texture, and light grime from what is largely a flat surface is remarkable, and cool to see! 

The subtle contrast in color is sure nice, you achieve variation without screaming it out.  This observation encourages me to humbly, and bravely walk forward, and ask - could you put a light wash on the mesh? not so much to weather them, but to reveal a visual transition between the wire mesh and the flat material used for "x" bracing and the base?  Maybe better word choice is to reveal the three dimensional qualities of the overall form and materials used? or not! Looks beautiful!

Cheers, and looking forward to the next update!

Nick 

Hi Nick,

Glad it was worth the wait for you...I have been a lot more careful with contrasts on this build...and relied more on achieving textures and finishes than strong colours...as the bodywork colours will be high contrast enough.

With regard to the mesh...I actually want to tone them down slightly...as the colour I used looks a shade to bright right now...however...I can't use a wash for fear of the masking tape adhesive being weakened and lifting...so may use a powder...then softly hi lite the bands.

Appreciate your comments and thoughts :)

Cheers

Ron

• Like 1

21 hours ago, CrazyCrank said:

If your cutting mat wasn't that visible, I would have bet that you took photographs of the real monster 👍

Many thanks for comment Thierry...so pleased you find it 'believable' :)

Ron

Not sure what is going on but...I have noticed that some of my posted pictures...both on this thread...and the RE20 build seem to have gone missing! 🤬

I have contacted the hosting site and am awaiting a response.

If possible I will try and trace the missing ones and re-post them...if any of you by chance copied them...please let me know...as it would help me in doing so.

Thanks

Ron

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Noel Smith said:

Outstanding! The subtle nuances displayed in the engine painting and the extra detailing added transform this from just being a model into a true scale miniature.

Hi Noel...and many thanks for kind words.

Glad you like the presentation so far :)

Cheers

Ron