1/12 312T 1975

4 hours ago, silver911 said:

Indeed Nick...strange times we live in eh!

Your joining in is great fun for me :)

Renault was a good lesson for this build...a shame...but life enjoys it's little jokes from time to time.

That must have been a great day...envy you mate.

I have often wished Tamiya had considered such options...as those wets would really add to this build.

Appreciate comments chap :)

Ron

well, Tamiya won't, but that don't mean nobody does/did...
spacer.png

Ahum, sorry for the plug 😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Codger said:

Delicious details everywhere. I especially like your solution for the hose with external support. The fittings are a treat. Will you use PE for wing end plates?

Glad you like the details Mr C :)

Regards the rear wing end plates...they are not included in the SMS PE set...and to be honest...wouldn't use them if they were...reason being that the PE only has etched rivet detail...whilst the 1:1 has prominent rivets...as do the kit parts.

Cheers for comment

Ron

20 hours ago, BESTBALSAKITS said:

well, Tamiya won't, but that don't mean nobody does/did...
spacer.png

Ahum, sorry for the plug 😉

No problem about plugging them on the thread Wim...they are superb...hmmm.........:)

Regards

Ron

6 hours ago, Malc2 said:

This is great, I am taking lots of notes for when I get round to mine!

M.

Pretty sure you don't need tips from me Malc...but appreciate your comments and support :)

Cheers

Ron

Great progress Ron :) 

I've had a catch up morning as work has been long long days lately, might even get a couple of hours at my bench this afternoon :) 

Ian 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Redstaff said:

Great progress Ron :) 

I've had a catch up morning as work has been long long days lately, might even get a couple of hours at my bench this afternoon :) 

Ian 

Thanks Ian...glad you like progress on the beast...but don't envy you the looooong working days mate 🤬...and hope you get some bench time :)

I have had to refresh my memory of where I got to on the cockpit...as that needs to be finalised before mating the engine and chassis.

Cheers

Ron

• Like 1

3 hours ago, silver911 said:

and hope you get some bench time :)

Hi Ron

I did indeed get some bench time this afternoon, I ended up doing one of my least favourite jobs masking up and painting window rubbers on the Colin McRae 94 Impreza. Turned out ok, but Hasegawa window masks are useless I have discovered, loads of bleed. Spent more time cleaning, but it's done now 😁

Cheers

Ian 

• Like 1

On 21/03/2021 at 19:35, Redstaff said:

Hi Ron

I did indeed get some bench time this afternoon, I ended up doing one of my least favourite jobs masking up and painting window rubbers on the Colin McRae 94 Impreza. Turned out ok, but Hasegawa window masks are useless I have discovered, loads of bleed. Spent more time cleaning, but it's done now 😁

Cheers

Ian 

a tip I have used on this is to clear coat some gloss/semi gloss varnish once the mask has been applied and then spray your black rubber. The clear coat effectively seals the masking and doesn’t allow the black to bleed through.

what do you use to clean up without damaging the clear parts?

/thread hijack mode off

• Like 1

12 hours ago, A_S said:

a tip I have used on this is to clear coat some gloss/semi gloss varnish once the mask has been applied and then spray your black rubber. The clear coat effectively seals the masking and doesn’t allow the black to bleed through.

what do you use to clean up without damaging the clear parts?

/thread hijack mode off

Thanks, that's a great tip, I'll try that next time 😁

As the paint hadn't hardened fully I managed to get it with Tamiya x20 acrylic thinners, cocktail sticks and cotton buds 

I have found that careful use of Mr Color levelling thinners will remove really set paint and more importantly not damage the plastic.

Cheers,

Alan.

• Like 1

As I am sure is the case for a lot of modellers...there comes a time in any build...when you begin to question why you have gone to such lengths to try and achieve a level of detail/reality...and such is the case in this build for me.

I thought I had covered all the bases...measured twice...checked ref pics...measured again...test fitted as many parts as humanly possible without four pairs of hands...then...feeling reasonably sure all was good...committed to painting/weathering and detailing all the bits.

Then comes the day for assembling said bits...only to find you have missed a minor detail...or...these bits that previously fitted fine...now refuse to do just that.

This was exactly the case with the numerous bits that make up this update.

First off...Tamiya does not supply any kind of harness with the kit but...obviously...it has to have one...the hardware for which...came with the SMS PE set...so no problem to fabricate one...using a spare set of belts from another kit.

Some adjustment of the seat was needed...both to fit the harness...and also to get a snug fit of the seat in the cockpit tub...I lightly weathered the straps to reflect wear...

IMG-6458.jpg

Next up was the footwell cover and steering linkage...and this is where the problems started to appear.

I won't bore you with all the details...let's just say it was a lot harder than I expected or needed it to be to get it in place...

IMG-6459.jpgIMG-6460.jpgIMG-6461.jpgIMG-6464.jpgIMG-6462.jpg

Next stage will be the dashboard and steering wheel...plus all the cables etc. ...oh joy...more fun...

to be continued.......

• Like 8

Nice, starting to come together now.

57 minutes ago, silver911 said:

I won't bore you with all the details...let's just say it was a lot harder than I expected or needed it to be to get it in place...

Was it because of the extra thickness of the SMS PE on the fuel tank tops and the footwell cover?

Enquiring minds need to know!

M.

• Like 1

Whilst the PE does indeed force adjustments to be made...in the main it is down to poor engineering on Tamiya's part.

Having said that...in trying to add layers of detail...what small room there was for error is eradicated entirely.

Personally...I would never again add so much sheet PE to a kit...it's great for the smaller parts and adding finer detail...however...given that the whole cockpit tub will be covered by body panels...it really is a waste of time money and effort for the result you get.

I would say the interior of the tub is the only worthwhile area to use the PE on.

Appreciate comment as always Malc :)

Ron

Ho hum, another merely great presentation of the overall character of the car, even at this early stage. Especially like the forward chassis hoop. The harness gives more life-like color and feel.

The point about the PE is good. If one must have metal effect sheet areas, I'd go with BMF which can be buffed up or down in sheen and is super thin.

Don't mind me, keep doing what you're doing.......:penguin:

• Like 2

Hi Ron, I need to echo the words of others on this update - it sure is coming together well!  While I don't exactly know the problems you ran into on the steering column, I can report potentially similar headaches in the 1/20 F1 kits - the non-operable u-joints are big, oddly shaped, making them awfully awkward to work with, even with much of the details molded in - above, you actually have the steering column, and the need to get it to line up, through the hole and then into the mounting bracket - ugh!  I can imagine that being quite frustrating!  In any event, it looks great 🍻  It looks like you've got the throttle linkage attached too - very nice!  actually, all of the pre-wiring is looking great 😀

So, all of the headaches seem to be paying off, and to go back to a comment I made some time ago, the shifter assembly still looks perfect - 

Cheers and happier model building 

Nick

• Like 1

4 hours ago, silver911 said:

there comes a time in any build...when you begin to question why you have gone to such lengths to try and achieve a level of detail/reality...

Indeed, it happens more or less every time I build something. I suppose it's part of the game, and it doesn't seem to stop me from building new models. Or I never learn...

Never mind, what you have achieved is looking lovely, as always!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, pg265 said:

Hi,

Beautiful as usual Ron!

... and fully agree with you regarding the PE parts! 😉

Pascal

Hi Pascal...lets just say lesson learned regards PE :)

Thank you for comment.

Ron

On 3/26/2021 at 4:57 PM, Codger said:

Ho hum, another merely great presentation of the overall character of the car, even at this early stage. Especially like the forward chassis hoop. The harness gives more life-like color and feel.

The point about the PE is good. If one must have metal effect sheet areas, I'd go with BMF which can be buffed up or down in sheen and is super thin.

Don't mind me, keep doing what you're doing.......:penguin:

I know Mr C...updates are getting harder to provide viewing pleasure...same old bits of plastic 🤣

Front hoop and harness do add that little bit more atmosphere I think.

I did try some BMF before committing to the PE...however...it's so easily damaged...plus it would not accept any of my techniques...no doubt ok for 'showroom'...and a valid option for some situations.

Will trundle on as I am then :)

Cheers

Ron