1/12 312T 1975

Hi Ron, 

It's so nice to watch all of this come together!  I really like your choice in materials, as they "look right" and reflect the properties of the materials, to scale - that is, no unintended kinks in those hydraulic lines!  At the outset, I was curious to see how that modulator up front would work out - clearance, spacing and the like, and of course, you made it look just right!  And yes, though it will never be seen again, I really like the grime on the edges of the bulkhead!

Looking forward to your next post - stay well - 

Nick

• Like 1

7 hours ago, A_S said:

The work is imperfect and that’s the beauty of it. Nothing in real life is uniform and that’s why this looks so realistic! If it were perfect and exactly how you imagined it, I.e by its nature of being imperfect, even to how you imagined it adds a level of reality.

thanks for the tips will be testing tonight and needed an excuse to make an order from hiroboy! 😛

I want to be clear...the faults I speak of are basic modelling errors...damaged finish from assembly...obvious gaps...excess glue etc. etc. ...and not 'intentional' faults such as wear and tear or weathering.

As for how I imagine it will look...I can honestly say I am lucky in that regard...in that I plan out exactly what I want to achieve...and am all too aware of 'natures imperfections'...which I always do my best to replicate in my work.

Having said all that...I do understand where you...and Poul...are coming from.

Thanks

Ron

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stickframe said:

Hi Ron, 

It's so nice to watch all of this come together!  I really like your choice in materials, as they "look right" and reflect the properties of the materials, to scale - that is, no unintended kinks in those hydraulic lines!  At the outset, I was curious to see how that modulator up front would work out - clearance, spacing and the like, and of course, you made it look just right!  And yes, though it will never be seen again, I really like the grime on the edges of the bulkhead!

Looking forward to your next post - stay well - 

Nick

To be honest...the choice of materials was made for me by the ref pics I have used...some of which were posted for me by more knowledgeable members than myself...and has allowed me to go that little bit deeper into replicating such details and finishes.

As for there being no kinks in the lines...I tend to prefer silicone based materials...much softer/pliable...and far less prone to kinks or collapsing.

I know that many would not bother to detail/weather all areas that are not going to be visible...however...my thinking is that if you don't cover all the options...you limit your display options...e.g. body on or off etc.

Glad you are still enjoying the ride Nick :)

Stay safe out there.

Ron

After some frustrating moments...you think you have everything sorted...planned for all eventualities etc. ...you find yourself fighting with 30+ year old bits of plastic...you know how it is...cursing...holding your breath...a few tears...then suddenly.........

IMG-6412.jpgIMG-6413.jpgIMG-6414.jpgIMG-6415.jpgIMG-6416.jpgIMG-6417.jpgIMG-6418.jpgIMG-6419.jpgIMG-6420.jpgIMG-6421.jpgIMG-6423.jpgIMG-6424.jpgIMG-6425.jpgIMG-6422.jpg

Very relived to have this all in place without damage or breaking anything...yet!

Now it's time to get the cockpit sorted :)

to be continued.......

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Codger said:

It will be a crime to cover this in bodywork - which I know will also be beautiful...:wall:

All I will say is this...I have begun to think seriously about how to display the finished car 🤔

On 3/13/2021 at 1:00 PM, rjfk2002 said:

Can you display with the bodywork off? I second Mr. C on the shame of covering this beauty up

I am looking at my options with exactly that in mind...primary concern being the cost of a much larger display case...to accommodate the spread of parts...that doing so would incur 😱

Thanks for comment mate.

On 3/13/2021 at 1:00 PM, rjfk2002 said:

Can you display with the bodywork off? I second Mr. C on the shame of covering this beauty up

I am looking at my options with exactly that in mind...primary concern being the cost of a much larger display case...to accommodate the spread of parts...that doing so would incur 😱

Thanks for comment mate.

Hi Ron, well, you certainly provide us mere mortals with something to aspire to!  The front end looks beautiful.  I especially like the finish on the bolt heads on the shock towers and the lock nuts on the upper control arms!   Those, and everything else you've done! Wow, stay away from the site for a few days and a guy can miss some remarkable work.    

Looking forward to your next update - 

Cheers and stay well 

Nick

• Like 1

Personally I think that to display all this excellent work the answer is to build another duplicate model fully clothed and display them side by side to show the two team cars.....simple yes? All the best,Chris.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Stickframe said:

Hi Ron, well, you certainly provide us mere mortals with something to aspire to!  The front end looks beautiful.  I especially like the finish on the bolt heads on the shock towers and the lock nuts on the upper control arms!   Those, and everything else you've done! Wow, stay away from the site for a few days and a guy can miss some remarkable work.    

Looking forward to your next update - 

Cheers and stay well 

Nick

Hi Nick...pleased you like the front end :)

A lot of very intricate...and frustrating assembly...but glad it's done.

Cheers for comment...always appreciated.

Ron

19 hours ago, Kitkent said:

Personally I think that to display all this excellent work the answer is to build another duplicate model fully clothed and display them side by side to show the two team cars.....simple yes? All the best,Chris.

If your happy to fund a second kit mate...then that would definitely solve the issue :)

Cheers for comment Chris.

Ron

• Haha 2

Whilst waiting for a couple of bits to arrive for the cockpit I have been playing with some other areas and pieces that needed attention.

First off the tyres...I used highly thinned acrylics for logo's and some letters...although I may add some more markings later...

IMG-6426.jpgIMG-6427.jpg

Then I made a start on some body panels...mostly some general cleaning up...but...for the main top panel...it was a case of opening up the two small air vents...and replacing the moulded locking screws with metal ones...will fix them after paint etc. ...

IMG-6438.jpgIMG-6439.jpgIMG-6440.jpgIMG-6443.jpg

Will tidy up the vents after it's been primed as they will be easier to see.

to be continued.......

• Like 9

14 hours ago, Bengalensis said:

Good work as always! The tyres looks promising. Hand written chalk marks for the individual set of tyres always add a lot to a model I think.

Thank you for kind words...and yes...such a little detail...but an important one I feel :)

Ron

Ron,

Have loved the build so far. Superb. On the topic of diorama, not sure if you've come across photos of Ferrari mechanics in the day, using the chassis as an impromtu picnic table. Example at this link

https://www.snapgalleries.com/product/richard-kelley-ferrari-mangiare/

Clearly we've lost some of the joi de vivre with today's corporate seriousness.

Regards

Nick

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, NickD said:

Ron,

Have loved the build so far. Superb. On the topic of diorama, not sure if you've come across photos of Ferrari mechanics in the day, using the chassis as an impromtu picnic table. Example at this link

Regards

Nick

So glad your enjoying the build Nick :)

That photo gave me a real good laugh mate 🤣

A different time and attitude for sure...great atmosphere.

Thanks for introducing a slice of real fun into the thread.

Ron

• Like 1

On 3/17/2021 at 3:21 PM, NickD said:

Ron,

Regards

Nick

I was there. I looked at the pic to see if I was in it, but nope. It was a geat time.

• Like 2

On 3/17/2021 at 8:21 PM, NickD said:

Ron,

Regards

Nick

Hand grooved rain tires. Pre factory full wets. Nice!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, NickD said:

Fun is essential - particularly at the moment. You seem to be having plenty without me though! 😀

(Sorry about the Renault though. That wasn't fun)

Nick

Indeed Nick...strange times we live in eh!

Your joining in is great fun for me :)

Renault was a good lesson for this build...a shame...but life enjoys it's little jokes from time to time.

16 hours ago, DarylH said:

I was there. I looked at the pic to see if I was in it, but nope. It was a geat time.

That must have been a great day...envy you mate.

7 hours ago, BESTBALSAKITS said:

Hand grooved rain tires. Pre factory full wets. Nice!

I have often wished Tamiya had considered such options...as those wets would really add to this build.

Appreciate comments chap :)

Ron

1 hour ago, A_S said:

As much as the quality is superb - I can’t get over how quickly it all seems to progress given the level of detail!

I can assure you Andy...it doesn't seem quick to me...every time I look at my ref pics I see another detail I need to add!...some are quite easy...others seem to take forever.

Pleased you like the quality of the build so far :)

Cheers

Ron

• Like 1

Following on from Andy's comment about speed of progress...and my reply...a few more examples of where the time is spent.

Turned my attention to some other areas of the build...the main air scoop and rear wing support.

With the air scoop it was a simple case of drilling the missing holes either side of the headrest using ref pics as a guide...

IMG-6456.jpg

Next up the rear wing support.

This is another area of the kit that requires you to trap other parts between the two halves which...yet again...makes painting and finishing harder than it needs to be!

Modifying it was simply a case of removing some stubs that locate the support frame...and cutting some plastic away from the back of the small radiator...which won't be noticeable once it's assembled anyway...plus drilling the holes for hose fittings to line up with the holes in the side of the panel...and selecting suitable fittings...lastly adding the support bars...also...I made the front fitting from ali plate and tube for the other hose to connect too.

This hose presented a bit of a challenge...in as much as it is basically wire reinforced garden hose...however...there are no aftermarket hoses like this!

My solution was to use some clear fuel line...and some stretched metal spring...I tinted the fuel line with some highly thinned oil paint...using capillary action to draw it through the clear line...then inserted it through the stretched spring to simulate the wire support.

Then it was a simple case of using suitable fittings at each end.

Next up I drilled the holes for the wing stays...and selected suitable bolts to mount them.

Finally...and just for fun...I drilled out the lever and added a tiny bolt...

IMG-6454.jpgIMG-6452.jpgIMG-6451.jpgIMG-6455.jpgIMG-6450.jpg

Adding what seems minor detail is driven by constantly referring to my ref pics...noticing the little things that add to the whole...and are done to give added depth.

to be continued.......

Edited by silver911
re-posted pics
  • Like 5