1/12 312T 1975

First stage of the 'plumbing'...distributor and plug leads + the boots I made previously...separated into 4 bunches of 3 (using heat shrink) as per my ref pics...I decided to add a tiny splash of colour to each bunch...using 4 colours of wire ties...the coil lead will be shortened before connecting to the coil...

IMG-0226.jpgIMG-0227.jpgIMG-0230.jpg

Next I fixed the fuel pump to the mounting plate but...whilst waiting for it to set...and just for fun...I thought it would be nice to have something to rest the engine on for future pics...and to add a little atmosphere.

As I had a lot of balsa wood scraps lying around from my figure days...thought a 'pallet' would fit the bill nicely...

IMG-0231.jpgIMG-0232.jpg

With the fuel pump fixed securely...but before fixing all the lines in place...a few hoses were added to avoid issues trying to locate them amongst all the leads and lines.

One thing I have changed from the ref pics is how the lines are bunched together...on the 1:1 they are wrapped in 2 groups of six...when I did this the heat shrink looked far too big so...as with the plug leads...I sleeved them in 4 bunches of 3 lines.

Each of the lines needs a sleeve of heat shrink just before the connector on the rails...I will do this to each line once I have them cut to the right length...

IMG-0233.jpgIMG-0234.jpgIMG-0235.jpgIMG-0236.jpg

As a side note to Keith's comment above...you will see what I meant about the fuel lines not needing colouring...as they are not the usual 'clear' tube.

Feel free to comment or suggest anything that needs attention.

Ron

to be continued.......

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Okay...a couple of hours later...and a few choice words later!...fuel lines and sleeving in place...

IMG-0240.jpgIMG-0245.jpgIMG-0246.jpgIMG-0247.jpgIMG-0251.jpgIMG-0255.jpgIMG-0256.jpgIMG-0257.jpg

A few more for details...

IMG-0239.jpgIMG-0242.jpgIMG-0243.jpgIMG-0244.jpgIMG-0253.jpg

Time to take a break from the engine and return to the cockpit/chassis :)

Ron

to be continued.......

• Like 10

I've had it. I had gotten to the point of taking a blowtorch to my Rolls after this presentation of other-worldly realism in scale modeling. My wife stopped me lest I set the drapes on fire too.

But now - you commit the unspeakable - you overwhelm us with your carpentry skills..........in addition to all the previous. Soon, none of us will be able to look in the mirror. Before you, building a 'nice model, advanced model, extreme model' was high praise indeed. Now 'The Absolute Real Thing' is where you've set the bar. What are we humble modellers to do?

But no hyperbolic praise from me. I have a damning criticism for you to suffer. Those colored wire ties have no place on a 180MPH vehicle. I don't care if Ferrari used pink ribbons. When mechanics reach in the Zip Tie drawer, there is only black to choose from.

So there, god of finishes, writhe in your shame......:whip:  :wicked:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have one little thing that disturbs me (just a little, to be honest): The heat shrink tubing on the fuel lines is lettered. Coming from an electrical background it is just too obvious to me this is "just" heat shrink. I personally would have gone for a piece without markings.

You know, I just needed a reason to post, and I hate to post without offering some critique. I had to search for something... 😉

Outstanding work, and as always so much to learn. I am very glad you share your tricks in such detail. I bookmark all your builds for reference for a reason.

Stay safe,

Jan

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Codger said:

I've had it. I had gotten to the point of taking a blowtorch to my Rolls after this presentation of other-worldly realism in scale modeling. My wife stopped me lest I set the drapes on fire too.

But now - you commit the unspeakable - you overwhelm us with your carpentry skills..........in addition to all the previous. Soon, none of us will be able to look in the mirror. Before you, building a 'nice model, advanced model, extreme model' was high praise indeed. Now 'The Absolute Real Thing' is where you've set the bar. What are we humble modellers to do?

But no hyperbolic praise from me. I have a damning criticism for you to suffer. Those colored wire ties have no place on a 180MPH vehicle. I don't care if Ferrari used pink ribbons. When mechanics reach in the Zip Tie drawer, there is only black to choose from.

So there, god of finishes, writhe in your shame......:whip:  :wicked:

I can assure you...your fabled RR lacks nothing in the reality or craftsmanship...and is every bit as good as this build...and setting the drapes on fire would have been the least of your worries 🤬

In as much as it pleases me that my techniques are well received...there is no 'patent' on them...all the information is there for anyone of a mind to use them...'humble' or otherwise :)

As for your criticism...I accept it gracefully...my only defence...I could not find 'cable ties' that small...and yes...I know Hiroboy do some but...from experience with them...very hit and miss...plus...in black you would never see them.

I rest my case 😧

18 minutes ago, Schwarz-Brot said:

I have one little thing that disturbs me (just a little, to be honest): The heat shrink tubing on the fuel lines is lettered. Coming from an electrical background it is just too obvious to me this is "just" heat shrink. I personally would have gone for a piece without markings.

You know, I just needed a reason to post, and I hate to post without offering some critique. I had to search for something... 😉

Outstanding work, and as always so much to learn. I am very glad you share your tricks in such detail. I bookmark all your builds for reference for a reason.

Stay safe,

Jan

Hi Jan...the only defence I can offer for using 'lettered' heat shrink...

297.jpg

Your critque is always welcome :)

I am very pleased that you use my work for reference...a big compliment...and always appreciated.

Regards

Ron

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Kitkent said:

I love all the pipes and tubes,and the pallet is definitely more lifelike than the one in my back garden! Chris.

Hi Chris...pleased you like the details...although pallet was done more for effect than purpose :)

Cheers for comment.

Ron

The mechanics might be out to lunch now, but, they sure did a great job while they were working on this!  😁  Wow!  I really like the black sleeves you added where the fuel lines connect to the injectors - they push it over the top in terms of realism - very nice touch!

Cheers, looking forward to the next post!

Nick 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NigeG said:

From what I see I believe you could take that pallet and make a Chippendale chest of drawers out of it. 

Im amazed. 

Would be a small chest of drawers mate 🤣

Pleased you like it though 👍

Thanks for comment :)

Ron

On 2/21/2021 at 9:10 PM, Stickframe said:

The mechanics might be out to lunch now, but, they sure did a great job while they were working on this!  😁  Wow!  I really like the black sleeves you added where the fuel lines connect to the injectors - they push it over the top in terms of realism - very nice touch!

Cheers, looking forward to the next post!

Nick 

Hi Nick...thanks for comments mate :)

Sleeves were pure touch of the 1:1 as per refs...although not all of them go right up to the connectors...I did this to make the connections more secure...especially as there are quite a few more bits still to go on in that area of the main block 😉

As always...comments and support are much appreciated.

Ron

Edited by silver911
added text

A quick update...and another part I felt needed modifying.

Rear hubs/uprights require a part to be trapped between two others and remain 'moveable'...not only does that make cleaning up the join lines very difficult...it also makes painting and weathering just as difficult...and a lot of unnecessary hassle.

Easiest remedy...remove the bar needing to go between the other parts and replace it with ali tube...with bolts at each end once in place...makes it all much easier IMHO

Pic of kit part (offending bar circled in yellow)...

A.jpg

Bar removed and two pieces of 1.4 mm ali tube cut to replace it...with assembled hubs above...

B.jpg

Test fit of ali tubes...

C.jpg

Completed modification...

D.jpg

These are the bolts I will use at each end of the tube for final assembly...

E.jpg

Next...and much like the pallet...just for fun...following a suggestion from Mr C to have a tool or two in pics...a torque wrench!...it needs a few small details added yet...

FF.jpg

to be continued.......

Edited by silver911
re-posted pics
  • Like 9

With so many bits and pieces ready...it was time to tackle the engine/gearbox/rear suspension...a lot of difficult handling needed to get everything lining up and working as it should...only casualty was a small and fragile resin hose joint...but replaced now :)

Will let the pics speak for themselves...

IMG-0259.jpgIMG-0261.jpgIMG-0262.jpgIMG-0264.jpgIMG-0265.jpgIMG-0270.jpgIMG-0274.jpgIMG-0276.jpgIMG-0277.jpgIMG-0278.jpgIMG-0280.jpgIMG-0284.jpgIMG-0285.jpgIMG-0287.jpgIMG-0288.jpg

Lastly...a couple of pics for size idea...and a couple with Mr C's suggested torque wrench...

IMG-0290.jpgIMG-0291.jpgIMG-0295.jpgIMG-0297.jpg

That's it for the rear end for now...time to get back to the chassis and front end.

Ron

to be continued.......

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Yeesh... more dangly hoses than a Ridley Scott sci-fi movie. :wicked: You will definitely need rehabilitation in a quiet country side asylum. But just plain brilliant and true to life.

That torque wrench is also brilliant but looks lonely. B)

I'm serious now; that is a model unto itself. I would build the whole rest of the car and display it alongside this on its wheels, not stands. That way nothing here is concealed and you still get the natural beauty and brawn of the race car. Maybe a small engine hoist with chains nearby....:devil:

• Like 1

HI Ron,

Short of sounding like a broken record, what I think is most interesting about this work is the contrast between textures (In addition to the obvious overall project), in that as a viewer, you can tell what is representing cast, machined, or other surfaces, plus of course the weathering throughout!   And, when this is all done, I'm sure you'll pluck that brass eyebolt out of the torque wrench and reuse it on a kit!

Cheers

Nick

• Like 1