1/12 312T 1975

2 hours ago, Codger said:

My thoughts...?

Brilliant.

I'd like a bit of sheen on the block castings, just a hint but that's me.

You will need an optometrist and psychiatrist when finished.

Those are my thoughts. :mental:

Sheen is there when seen in the flesh Mr C.

Psychiatrist gave up on me...and opticians are closed at the moment 😆

Cheers for comment and humour mate :)

Ron

41 minutes ago, Codger said:

Good I'm glad you felt same as me. Wish I could see it in the fles -errr-al-u-minium.

Mate, psych's only give up if you're out of money...:wicked:

I ran out of money...he ran out of patience 😡

Will try and get some better pics in natural daylight...metals are the worst to get accurate pictures of 😠

16 hours ago, Redstaff said:

Looking good there Ron :) 

Not been on the site much the last week or so as work keeps getting in the way 

Love the simple little tool for the wire boots :) 

Ian :) 

Hi Ian...work and life always gets in the way of modellers mate :)

Simple is always the best in the end I find 😉

Cheers for comment.

Ron

• Thanks 1

With the exhausts assembled and primed in 'Zero' grey primer...next up came the base colour...for this I airbrushed 3 shades of very pale tan/beige wet on wet as per my usual technique...I kept the pressure very low at around 10psi...this meant that the paint was not quite fully atomised...and created a slight texture on the surface...which is exactly what I needed for the following stage.

Try as I might...with such a subtle blend of colours...the camera could not really capture it fully...

IMG-0207.jpg

I left it overnight to dry fully...then it was time to weather it in using this pic for reference...

012-1975-10-05-Watkins-Glen-USA-19.jpg

Using two colours from the Scale 75 'Metal n Alchemy sets I have...I mixed 5 drops of Necro Gold with 1 drop of Black Metal...this was then very slowly and lightly dry brushed over each of the four sets of assembled exhausts.

Having the texture from the airbrushing meant I could closely mirror the ref pic...and also meant the paint dried very quickly...meaning a couple of hours later...I could safely assemble them all to the main block.

Lastly...it was a case of adding the retaining springs around the four tail pipes...very fiddly...but the final touch it needed IMHO...

IMG-0209.jpgIMG-0210.jpgIMG-0213.jpgIMG-0216.jpgIMG-6361.jpgIMG-6362.jpgIMG-6366.jpgIMG-6367.jpgIMG-6368.jpgIMG-6369.jpg

I have to be honest...this is a great relief to get done...always a headache with F1 kits in my experience...and not a bad result in my book :)

Ron

to be continued.......

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Your book is only partially right - it's a fantastic result.

Ron you have truly raised the bar on what the standard is for a museum kit-built (as opposed to a scratchbuilt) replica.

Sadly your great camera work still can't capture the subtle realism you slavishly put in your finishes. It does capture the myriad tiny fasteners/springs/plumbing that the original has though.

What a model we'll see at completion...:worthy:

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Codger said:

Your book is only partially right - it's a fantastic result.

Ron you have truly raised the bar on what the standard is for a museum kit-built (as opposed to a scratchbuilt) replica.

Sadly your great camera work still can't capture the subtle realism you slavishly put in your finishes. It does capture the myriad tiny fasteners/springs/plumbing that the original has though.

What a model we'll see at completion...:worthy:

It's always been a fight to truly capture on camera what a model looks like in front of you...even more so when your trying to keep things toned down...harder to get fixings and bolts etc. in focus.

Pleased you feel I have managed to raise the bar a little Mr C :)

Thanks for comment...much appreciated.

Ron

2 hours ago, rjfk2002 said:

Brilliant work Ron!

Looking back at your boot tool, how did you heat the shrink tube - soldering iron? 

Many thanks for comment mate...pleased you like it so far :)

When working with heat shrink I like to have as much control as possible...I use a craft heat gun with variable heat...much like this...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-Electric-Heat-Gun-Hot-Air-Nozzle-Tool-Embossing-Paint-Crafts-Drying-UK-Plug/133389645950?hash=item1f0ea4787e:g:OsYAAOSwhQlemm-D

Cheers

Ron

Have started to add a few of the previously assembled and 'weathered' bits to the main block...plus a couple of hoses and fittings that I spotted in my refs...just to add that extra depth and interest...

IMG-0218.jpgIMG-0219.jpgIMG-0220.jpgIMG-0221.jpgIMG-0222.jpgIMG-0223.jpgIMG-0224.jpgIMG-0225.jpg

Next up will be the distributor/plug leads and fuel pump/lines...hoses etc. ...which will create a very busy area on top of the engine 😱

As always...your thoughts and comments are most welcome :)

Ron

to be continued.......

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just what you needed - extra depth and detail. You are already plunging through the sub-atomic level.

The photos look like reassembly photos after an engine tear-down. Scale tools scattered about would be the only way to add more 'realism'.

Be sure to 'do no harm' when adding more top end parts and wiring - a very difficult task.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Codger said:

Just what you needed - extra depth and detail. You are already plunging through the sub-atomic level.

The photos look like reassembly photos after an engine tear-down. Scale tools scattered about would be the only way to add more 'realism'.

Be sure to 'do no harm' when adding more top end parts and wiring - a very difficult task.

As much as I have tried to refrain from taking things too far on this project...and with sad memories of the RE20...I have to admit to pushing my personal limits again...guess we all do it.

I have toyed with the idea of finding a suitable backdrop to picture the engine against...just to see how close I have managed to get to the reality of the 1:1 in the ref pics I have been using...still a long way to go yet...but would give me a feel for how it's progressing.

Without doubt...the plug leads and fuel lines will require careful management to achieve a complex...but controlled installation...and delicate handling of the whole is paramount.

Many thanks for continued support Mr C :)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Pouln said:

I second that. Remind me, how long is that engine and gearbox assembly?

It is unreal in its reality.

Hi Poul...glad you like progress on this beast :)

Size is roughly 100 mm long (engine and gearbox) x 65 mm wide x 50 mm high...hope that helps...I will put something to give you a better idea in the next update pics 😉

Thanks for comment...much appreciated.

Ron

HI Ron, 

This is shaping up nicely - it was worth it to adjust the tee fittings in the back, which really looks good.  And the exhaust springs, look the part.  Just curious, are you drilling out, then inserting metal tube/rod into the cast fittings?  I hate to be isolating and stating the oblivious, but the fuel injection connections look great too!  Ha - your build is so nice, that it's easy to focus on various bits that make up the whole!  Thanks for providing these incremental steps.

cheers

Nick

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stickframe said:

HI Ron, 

This is shaping up nicely - it was worth it to adjust the tee fittings in the back, which really looks good.  And the exhaust springs, look the part.  Just curious, are you drilling out, then inserting metal tube/rod into the cast fittings?  I hate to be isolating and stating the oblivious, but the fuel injection connections look great too!  Ha - your build is so nice, that it's easy to focus on various bits that make up the whole!  Thanks for providing these incremental steps.

cheers

Nick

Hi Nick...pleased you like the progress 👍

Those tee fittings...once pointed out...just had to be corrected...and the exhaust springs were a detail that...if missing...would have stood out...especially to any F1 fan...fiddly to do...but worth the effort IMHO.

Where fittings are concerned...if the kit ones are moulded well enough I will leave them as cast...but yes...always drill and pin or...as you say...use metal tubing for better connections to the hoses or cables...whether kit or metal.

Rather than replace every kit connection...I tend to focus on only the visible...also...where there's a possible weakness in the kit parts themselves...or...as with this build...when I want to draw the viewers eye to a given area...or sub assembly.

I  have done my best to offer as much of an insight into my way of working...and to create an interesting thread for others to enjoy (I hope) :)

Cheers for comments mate.

Ron

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mpfiend said:

Nice build so far, with convincing paint finishes.

Will you be colouring the clear plastic tubes to indicate fuel or oil presence?

Regards

Keith

Hi Keith...glad you like the build and paint finishes so far...and find them convincing :)

Regards colouring the fuel lines...I use silicone tube for fuel lines...much softer and flexible...also...it's a milky off-white rather than clear...closer in 'scale' colour to what I have in the ref pics I am using IMHO.

Cheers for comment.

Ron