1/12 312T 1975

33 minutes ago, Coors54 said:

Ha, ha 🤣 it's the medical oxygen tank, if the flames didn't get you the tank whacking you in the back of the head at 23G deceleration would! What were they thinking?

Dave

I second your WWTT last line. An oxygen tank on a crash and burn-possible vehicle. Remember what happened to Nikki. A driver needing oxygen after a crash could have it brought by the medical team. My Italian countrymen shame me.........:wall:

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Codger said:

Dear mate - 10 mms of fiberglass gives me NO consolation....:nono:

And this coming from the one time owner and driver of just as much of a beast...I bet you weren't having such thoughts as you blasted through the bends :)

14 minutes ago, silver911 said:

And this coming from the one time owner and driver of just as much of a beast...I bet you weren't having such thoughts as you blasted through the bends :)

I was much too scared to have thoughts........:mental:

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, silver911 said:

Probably just as well Mr C...although you should have tried a bike 😱

I have the scariest (and most exciting) moments when riding my bikes! Ah, those were the days...

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got primer and some base metal shades on a number of bits and pieces over the last week...

IMG-6121.jpgIMG-6123.jpg

I have switched over to AK Extreme Metal paints after reading some good things about them...and the formula having been tweaked after a lot of complaints about the initial release...they certainly work very well through the airbrush...spray perfectly from the bottle...lay down very evenly...with absolutely no problems...and not a sign of 'tip dry' the whole session...just a quick flush with their same brand cleaner (a must) and away you go...all colours were sprayed at 12 psi.

As per my usual...each part received 2 or 3 shades...Duraluminium...Flat Aluminium...and White Aluminium...

IMG-6124.jpgIMG-6125.jpgIMG-6126.jpgIMG-6127.jpg

Then I played around with a couple of the 'bronze' parts...using Pale Burnt Metal...followed by a mist coat of Gold...

IMG-6130.jpgIMG-6131.jpg

With the base shades done I can now move on to my usual techniques with oils etc.

There is a lot I can now get on with...so the updates should be more frequent :)

Ron

to be continued.......

• Like 7

15 hours ago, Malc2 said:

Looks great, you have managed to capture the look of cast aluminium perfectly.

Can't wait for the next update!

Malc.

Thanks Malc...I am really pleased with these AK metal shades...as always...the pics don't show them at their best.

With priming and base colours sorted now...updates should start to flow more frequently :)

15 hours ago, Codger said:

An absolute clinic on finishes and techniques. Already unmatched realism awaiting only aging and patina.

More updates a welcomed idea Ron. Carry on !:worthy:

Thanks Mr C...I am looking forward to the next stage myself :)

Judging by my ref pics...weathering will need to be of a more subtle nature...to properly capture the tones on this beast...as per Ferrari standards.

11 hours ago, Stickframe said:

Very glad to see that class is again in session.  Interesting in particular that your finish is better than the quality of the kit parts!  This is really coming along nicely.

Cheers and stay well,

Nick

You and me both mate...I was getting frustrated at the constant delays...weather...paints etc.

The finish is all down to the quality of these AK paints...by far the best I have used with the airbrush...pop a 3mm SS ball in the pot...a good shake...put in AB cup...12psi pressure...0.2mm needle...and away you go :)

One attribute I especially liked is their 'self leveling'...very handy if you get a bit too much on (rushing!)...another is the subtle change in shades you can achieve when overlaying colours...very useful.

Cheers for comments and interest guys 😎

Ron

I have some of these extreme metals too. Really nice paint, easy to use.

And your results are fantastic, as usual. I think that the use of different shades makes a big difference.

Now, show us your magic with the oils.😉

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pouln said:

I have some of these extreme metals too. Really nice paint, easy to use.

And your results are fantastic, as usual. I think that the use of different shades makes a big difference.

Now, show us your magic with the oils.😉

Many thanks Poul :)

I really like these paints...as  you rightly say...very easy to use...certainly through the airbrush...I have yet to try brushing them...but expect them to perform equally well.

As you know by now...using one shade is not my way...too clinical...and not how real metal looks...adding one or two other shades over the base colour produces a much more convincing finish to my eye.

Yep...next up...oils 😱.....followed by..............

Ron

They brush surprisingly well for an airbrush ready paint, I relied on it when spoking the wheels on the KH as I removed the existing spokes.  For cleaning the airbrush, I use cellulose thiners as nothing else that I have gets it properly clean.  I have not tried the AK cleaner, which one is it?

Tony

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kitkent said:

The engine parts look very real,impressive stuff here. I have brush painted the AK but only on a 1/24 car at the most. The airbrushing I will write down for future reference . Chris.

Thanks Chris...a lot more work to do on finishes...but pleased with it so far :)

A tip for you...when airbrushing different shades over one another you want to keep it subtle...best way to do this...increase the distance between AB and parts ( say from 3 inches to 6 ) and move the AB across it faster...this is to prevent you completely covering the previous colour...and will give you much more subtle blends...also...do this 'wet on wet'...to allow the colours to bleed into one another...or you can let it dry over night and follow the next tip...

If you want a slight 'texture' to the appearance...drop the pressure slightly ( 12 down to 8 ) which will cause the AB to spatter...meaning you will get tiny dots of paint on the surface...giving a texture (cast) look to the paint...this can be done dry or wet.

Hope that's useful to you.

Ron

43 minutes ago, rjfk2002 said:

Great progress there Ron! When using the multiple shades I assume you are applying while the layers are wet so there is some paint mixing on the part?

Cheers Rich :)

Your correct in your assumption...also...see my tips for Chris above.

Ron

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kitkent said:

Thanks very much Ron,everyday is a school day here! There are quite a few different metallic options,nice to see something that actually works. Chris.

Your very welcome Chris...class will resume shortly :)

To be fair...we are certainly not lacking in choice where metallics are concerned...I have my favourites...as do most...all are good...some are in another league...my primary need is for them to work well with the airbrush...and these AK certainly do that.

Ron

• Like 2

Looking good Ron :) 

I must admit, my go to metal paints now is the Vallejo Metal colour range, they seem to spray and brush paint really well, although I have never tried the "wet multi coat shading" that you have done yet,

I usually just use a base colour and washes. But I'm going to give your method a go when I get chance :) 

Ian

• Like 1