1/12 312T 1975

Following the demise of the RE20 engine build...and the very generous offers I received from members...life has been a little kinder to me in the form of one of the few Tamiya 1/12 F1's I never got around to building in my youth...along with early Xmas presents from my partner and son to enhance the build...in the form of the 'Scale Motorsport' PE set...which...for some strange reason...doesn't include brake discs or radiator meshes!...and a second smaller set which does...from Wim at Best Balsa Kits...although a few bits are repeated between the two sets...it does give me spares in case of accidents (cat!).....

IMG-5801.jpgIMG-5807.jpg

IMG-5836.jpgIMG-5837.jpg

BBK set...

IMG-5835.jpg

Whilst discussing the PE set...I mentioned to Wim the kit decals were in a bad way...and asked whether he had any replacements...to which he replied that he was happy to donate a set of his own BBK decals to the build...for which I am extremely grateful...

IMG-5838.jpgIMG-5839.jpg

With pretty much everything else coming from my stock...it just remains to finalise a  build plan...then my first full F1 build for 30 years can begin :)

to be continued.......

Edited by silver911
  • Like 13

Ah Ron, great that you’re back with such a nice kit.

Knowing that you will explain to us what you are doing and how you are doing it, be sure that I, and I assume many others, will follow you closely.

• Like 3

Although this is a new announcement to us, it's obvious that your usual meticulous planning has been in effect. You have a complete arsenal of parts and only lack petrol, brake fluid and coolant to bring this to your usual levels. Which is to say, 'real'. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pouln said:

Ah Ron, great that you’re back with such a nice kit.

Knowing that you will explain to us what you are doing and how you are doing it, be sure that I, and I assume many others, will follow you closely.

Indeed a nice kit Poul...but one with a number of strange omissions on Tamiya's part...for instance...no mention of...or provision for...the seat belt/harness or it's fixings...fortunately...both are included in the PE sets.

2 hours ago, Codger said:

Although this is a new announcement to us, it's obvious that your usual meticulous planning has been in effect. You have a complete arsenal of parts and only lack petrol, brake fluid and coolant to bring this to your usual levels. Which is to say, 'real'. :rolleyes:

A lot of planning Mr C...I cannot count the number of times I have read the instructions...the pages of notes made...and reference pics acquired.

1 hour ago, Mumbly said:

Kettles on for this one!  Looking forward to the progress Ron.

Glad to have you along for the ride mate...will do my best to keep you interested :)

Ron

Whilst planning the initial stages of this build...and also thinking about how I would like to display the car when finished...it occurred to me just how much gets covered up by the body...and how much work will go unseen thereafter.

My answer was to build a 'work' stand...to support the chassis as it grows...and...once completed...it will allow me to display the upper body separate to the completed chassis and wings.

After sketching out a few ideas...and using the cockpit tub and main upper body to guide the design...this is what I came up with...

IMG-5822.jpgIMG-5828.jpgIMG-5829.jpg

As you can see...I have drilled the footplates to accept 1.2mm bolts to fix it to the final base.

Finally...I decided to add a couple of support plates with some 0.5mm rivets for effect...

IMG-5833.jpg

Welds have since been added at junctions...and I have primed it in a basic grey for now...but am thinking of giving it a few coats of Zero Textured Black to represent powder coating when the build is finished and it becomes a display stand.

to be continued........

• Like 9

18 minutes ago, Ian T said:

I’ll follow this if I may? Even the stand is a work of art, so I can only imagine how the build will end up. Enjoy the build.

Happy to have your company Ian :)

Stand kept me busy whilst waiting for bits to arrive...so has and will serve useful purposes.

Cheers

Ron

• Like 1

HI Ron,

Looking forward to this build!  I haven't built any kits larger in scale than 1/20, but am getting increasingly enticed by what these big builds offer!  Your work rack is looking good - an incidental benefit of the decking you added is that the build will sit flush with central I-beam - good idea!  

Cheers

Nick

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stickframe said:

HI Ron,

Looking forward to this build!  I haven't built any kits larger in scale than 1/20, but am getting increasingly enticed by what these big builds offer!  Your work rack is looking good - an incidental benefit of the decking you added is that the build will sit flush with central I-beam - good idea!  

Cheers

Nick

Cheers Nick...and yes...plates were added for that exact reason :)

Be careful...enticement is followed by addiction 😱

Ron

16 minutes ago, Toftdale said:

Hi, I'm fairly new to the forum so I not seen any of your other builds, but like the previous comments say if your stand is anything to go by then this will be an impressive model.

In that case...welcome to the world of pain and suffering we endure for the love of our hobby 😉

I hope you enjoy the build...and please feel free to ask questions or offer criticism/advice or ideas as it progresses.

Best

Ron

Edited by silver911
added text
  • Haha 2

Meanwhile, have you adequately instructed your cat? 

The original specimen of this Ferrari -or model Ferrari to those who will be aware of the scale difference- is of great beauty by itself. No question you will honour the cars’s high design quality through this build.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Roy vd M. said:

Meanwhile, have you adequately instructed your cat? 

The original specimen of this Ferrari -or model Ferrari to those who will be aware of the scale difference- is of great beauty by itself. No question you will honour the cars’s high design quality through this build.

Cat is on final warning :)

By far my favourite of the F1 Ferrari's...it just has that special something for me.

I will do my best to reflect it's inherent beauty in the build Roy and many thanks for comment.

2 hours ago, harveyb258 said:

Impressive (standing..) start, Ron..... let the magic commence:D.

My pile cushion and popcorn are at the ready, mate.

Cheers, H

Always the comedian H 🤣

Preparation H in the post mate 😱

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, MR2Don said:

I built one of these back in the day when it was a new kit! Sadly has been lost through various reasons, but it would never have been as good as what you can produce. Crack on, I'll be watching.

I missed out on this one a few times over the years...so am really pleased to have it on the bench now :)

Happy to have you along mate.

Cheers

Ron

Ok...so what do you get if you take 6 pieces of plastic...and add 42 pieces of PE...use 5 scalpel blades...half a bottle of CA...half a metre of double sided tape...a file and a Dremel...oh...and some clothes pegs and an elastic band?

Try this.....

IMG-5851.jpgIMG-5852.jpgIMG-5853.jpgIMG-5854.jpgIMG-5856.jpgIMG-5857.jpgIMG-5858.jpgIMG-5859.jpg

This is just the basic cockpit/chassis tub...with no added detail...there are a few small gaps to take care of...and some grey plastic that needs blending in with colour...then I will start adding some detail to the lower inside cockpit.

Ron

to bee continued.......

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

On 11/2/2020 at 2:48 PM, Codger said:

A tidy start to a complex project. Enjoy your results -  Best you not count staggering amount of tools and supplies you will go through - it will discourage you...:mental:

A new level of complexity for me Mr C...but luckily I have quite a stockpile of bits and pieces to fall back on :)

One thing I have discovered to my cost...Nickel Silver is harder than Stainless Steel as far as drill bits are concerned! 😱