Hawker Tempest Mk V NV980

Hello Folks

Ever since reading the Pierre Clostermann’s Big Show as a teenager I’ve had a thing about the Hawker Tempest Mk V. I think it is something about it’s elegant menace - think Lauren Bacall in a ball gown accessorized with bovver boots and a knuckleduster - that does it for me.

This is the venerable Heller kit nearly ten years in the making as I gradually pick up model making again. I’ve used some Scale Resin aftermarket to replace the kit wheels (one of which was lost to the carpet monster) as well as the kit’s rudimentary exhaust stubs. I’ve also scratch built the gunsight, radiator cooling flap and the distinctive air intake dust filter as well.

All paints are Vallejo Model Air. Decals are from the Almark C12 sheet celebrating Sgt. Mac Kennaugh. From this sheet the kit is finished as NV980 (US H) of 56 sqn. According to Chris Thomas’s Tempest Illustrated History for Eduard* this was delivered to 56 sqn in March 1945, damaged in action, repaired, returned to unit (as US J) and then lost due to enemy flak by 24 April. Barely a month and a half in theatre; a pervading theme of attrition also running through the later chapters of the Big Show.  From the Chris’s book I have used the picture of it with US X (presumably soon after delivery) as a reference, I have kept the weathering light accordingly.

20201028_220040 20201028_215748 20201028_220118 20201028_215803

* Yes. I do have the Eduard Royal Boxing for the Tempest Mk V. Given that it has taken 10 years for me to complete this small kit do not expect to see this showing up as a RFI any time soon!

• Like 35
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, echen said:

The Big Show is a book and a half, read it several times. Your rendition of the Tempest certainly does it justice.

I certainly is. My first copy was found in a second hand bookshop in Fuengerola visiting a cousin. I read it in a day! I got the reprint by Cassell recently as it has been updated and has photos. I you havent read it yet, Lonely Warrior by Victor Houart, is as good a read but from a Belgian perspective.

1 hour ago, Eric Mc said:

That is lovely. The Heller kit is quite nice (and it did appear in Airfix boxes too).

Thank you.  Heller kits of that period, with the Francise Bergese illustrations on the box, have a certain "je ne sais quoi" that set them apart for me. I have their Arado 196 and Dragon Rapide from that period in my stash to testify to that.

1 hour ago, Murewa said:

Awesome Tempest!

The aeroplane is, not so sure the model is! But thank you anyway.

There are a lot of things that I will hopefully improve on when I eventually, in the fullness of time, further down the road, get to my Eduard Boxing. In the meantime I sponge up knowledge from the Britmodeller hive mind!

Edited by erniewise
punctuation added