Return modeller in Canada

orfew

Hello all, I am back into this after a 30 years hiatus. I am now only working part-time so I can revisit some of the pursuits I left behind years ago. I am located in Canada just oi few minutes from Niagara Falls.

Here are the kits I own right now.

Revell Arizona 1:496

Airfix 1:48 JU 87 B2 R2

Airfix 1:48 Supermarine Spitfire

Airfix 1:48 Messerschmidt BF 109

Tentatively I have planned to do the Stuka first then the Arizona followed by the spitfire and the BF 109. Anyone have any better ideas as it pertains to the order?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, orfew said:

Airfix 1:48 JU 87 B2 R2

Airfix 1:48 Supermarine Spitfire

Airfix 1:48 Messerschmidt BF 109

which kits? 

Airfix have done at least 10 different 1/48th Spitfires,, including old and new tool Mk.I and V's,     there is an old  and new tool Ju-87B-2,  and what model bf109?  

Depending on what kits they are, this might get a better response as to what to build is all.

HTH

Thanks for the questions. The Stuka is a newly tooled one. The other Airfix models are old tooling.  I did not even know the difference before I bought them. When I bought the Stuka I had to drive an hour there and one hour back but it was worth it. The owner told me what to look for and how to identify the newly tooled models. It was well worth the drive for that advice alone. I also bought the camouflage paint from him for both the German and British camp colours.

https://imgur.com/a/lD5FsAp

Hello orfew...:post1: from the windy city on the lake Chicago. Pick whichever kit you're most comfortable with. Please don't hesitate to ask questions. Couple more things only build to make yourself happy, don't worry trying to please the Forum. Two don't try to jump in the deep end and do everything on your first couple of builds, work up to a level. Try one maybe two new techniques with every build. You will progress easier, quicker, and more happy. 

Dennis

• Like 2

11 hours ago, orfew said:

Thanks for the questions. The Stuka is a newly tooled one. The other Airfix models are old tooling.  I did not even know the difference before I bought them. When I bought the Stuka I had to drive an hour there and one hour back but it was worth it. The owner told me what to look for and how to identify the newly tooled models. It was well worth the drive for that advice alone. I also bought the camouflage paint from him for both the German and British camp colours.

https://imgur.com/a/lD5FsAp

UCdsY6P.jpeg

The Spitfire Ia and bf109E are both 'new' versions.   the 109 is from 2010, the Spitfire is based on the Vb kit (new wing) and is from 2015 I think.  

They are not 'old'

The bf109  is the easiest of the 3 aircraft kits, fairly simple, assembles well.  Got s few small glitches,  not sure if those are things that bother you. 

The Spitfire is a good kit,  with a couple of points to watch for.  the fit is VERY precise,  so much so a missed sprue gate of mould line, or even a coat of paint can cause fit problems and in particular the cockpit tub, which can some stages later mess the fitting of the fuel tank cover.

I say this as this is a different kind of discipline to older models, which were a lot more forgiving. 

The other is the way of attaching the undercarriage legs is a bad design, relying on a small butt joint.   It's really worth modifying this and adding some metal pins. This needs to be done before you do major assembly.

This build, 

while of the Vb ,  is a very extensive build guide, and covers these points.  

The Ju87 is a more complex build, and I presume it also fits very precisely. 

TIP, the site search is not great, try adding 'britmodeller' into a google search term

there is a build of the Airfix here, along with the Italeri, which has a lot of information posted as well

HTH