Just a quick placemarker which will hopefully be appropriate

I've snook in with the first post, lets hope the title isn't appropriate with me being the last to finish...

I intend to build mine as the very first Hawk to fly XX154 in the last scheme she flew in with the Empire Test Pilots School before retiring to the Boscombe Down Aviation Collection recently

Project Inventory:-

Revell kit supplied very promptly by @JadlamRacingModels at a very reasonable price

20201029-151729.jpg

Decals from On-Target sheet British Military Air Arms Update set part 1 (72-010)

Xtradecal BAe Hawk Maintenance Data sheet X72168

20201029-151848.jpg

Etch from Eduard Hawk T.1 73550

PP Aeroparts Hawk T.1 AC740

Airwaves BAe Hawk T1 AEC72050

Master BAe Hawk T1 Pitot Tube AM 72-020

Thunderbirds Models resin Tail correction TBMR 002

Scale Cast Hawk T1 wings AW3

PP Aeroparts BAe Hawk Crew Access Ladder AL716

20201029-152828.jpg

AiM BAe Hawk Tow Bar GE72071

PP Aeroparts Remove Before Flight tags RBF001

Not all of the above will end up on the model, some bits will be used as a basis for a bit of scratch building, and a couple of items missing from the photos are on their way from the big H (airmail via Zvezda Hercules!)

• Like 6

Thanks @Hockeyboy76, I see you're racing ahead of me, hopefully Little H will spook you!

A couple of useful reference books pulled off the shelves to sit by the bench during the build

20201029-154503.jpg

Planes Magazine issue 1 has a double page spread of Alf Granger Hawk plans, they'll be on hand as well.

Don't forget our own walkround section which has a couple of excellent Hawk threads relevant to this group build for those who aren't straying too far out of the realms of reality

The Boscombe Down Aviation Collection  facebook page has some useful images of XX154, including a 360 degree scan image of the cockpit

https://www.facebook.com/page/330939183658923/search/?q=XX154

And their (rather clunky and very dated) website has a few more images

http://www.boscombedownaviationcollection.co.uk/index_files/Page5241.htm

Plus the ubiquitous google image search on the registration throws up loads of useful images as well

Including some of it being airlifted into BDAC

0ae3a26265d74cfc98507ae8050923a8.ashx

I was tempted, but sanity kicked in very quickly!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

Thanks @Hockeyboy76, I see you're racing ahead of me, hopefully Little H will spook you!

A couple of useful reference books pulled off the shelves to sit by the bench during the build

20201029-154503.jpg

Planes Magazine issue 1 has a double page spread of Alf Granger Hawk plans, they'll be on hand as well.

Don't forget our own walkround section which has a couple of excellent Hawk threads relevant to this group build for those who aren't straying too far out of the realms of reality

The Boscombe Down Aviation Collection  facebook page has some useful images of XX154, including a 360 degree scan image of the cockpit

https://www.facebook.com/page/330939183658923/search/?q=XX154

And their (rather clunky and very dated) website has a few more images

http://www.boscombedownaviationcollection.co.uk/index_files/Page5241.htm

Plus the ubiquitous google image search on the registration throws up loads of useful images as well

Including some of it being airlifted into BDAC

0ae3a26265d74cfc98507ae8050923a8.ashx

I was tempted, but sanity kicked in very quickly!

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

19 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

Project Inventory:-

Revell kit supplied very promptly by @JadlamRacingModels at a very reasonable price

20201029-151729.jpg

Decals from On-Target sheet British Military Air Arms Update set part 1 (72-010)

Xtradecal BAe Hawk Maintenance Data sheet X72168

20201029-151848.jpg

Etch from Eduard Hawk T.1 73550

PP Aeroparts Hawk T.1 AC740

Airwaves BAe Hawk T1 AEC72050

Master BAe Hawk T1 Pitot Tube AM 72-020

Thunderbirds Models resin Tail correction TBMR 002

Scale Cast Hawk T1 wings AW3

PP Aeroparts BAe Hawk Crew Access Ladder AL716

20201029-152828.jpg

AiM BAe Hawk Tow Bar GE72071

PP Aeroparts Remove Before Flight tags RBF001

Not all of the above will end up on the model, some bits will be used as a basis for a bit of scratch building, and a couple of items missing from the photos are on their way from the big H (airmail via Zvezda Hercules!)

You do know this is a 6 week GB, don't you?

Alan.

• Haha 1

Is the tail correction relevant for this boxing?  I’ve compared mine with the Arrows boxing and the fillet is different, it’s formed from completely different parts.  Or am I barking up the wrong tree?  For part of my build I’m going to try and make a casting from this boxing to apply later to the three reds I’ve got stashed (not for this gb).

Edited by Andy G

10 hours ago, Andy G said:

Is the tail correction relevant for this boxing?  I’ve compared mine with the Arrows boxing and the fillet is different, it’s formed from completely different parts.  Or am I barking up the wrong tree?  For part of my build I’m going to try and make a casting from this boxing to apply later to the three reds I’ve got stashed (not for this gb).

Hi Andy

Revell have spotted most of the changes in the rear fuselage except for one crucial point, the height of the rear fuselage above the jetpipe. 

As the fuselage mouldings are common to both boxings, the rear end is incorrect for all but the early Hawks.

The top edge of the rear fuselage curves downward quite sharply behind the rudder trailing edge on the early Hawks, and this is how Revell have moulded the kit

During 1981 modifications were made to the rear profile so that it followed pretty much a straight line from the rear of the canopy to the extreme rear of the fuselage.

At the same time the fin fillet was extended from the short one supplied in the Red Arrows boxing to a longer one that reaches the extreme rear of the fuselage. Revell have spotted this and give you the longer fillet, but not the increased height of the rear fuselage that goes with it

They also give you the rear plate with the 3 diesel injection pipes in the Red Arrows boxing, the parts in this kit are correct for a Red Arrows from 79/80/81 seasons (but the kit decals are wrong for this, as are the ejection seat headboxes, which should be the early large style through to about 1988, when the small headbox as per the kit was introduced)

The new kit gives you 2 styles of rear fuselage plates, a plain one and and one with a projecting box on it (not sure what this is but my subject has this)

These will be suitable for early non Red Arrows Hawks (but you'll need early ejection seat head boxes as well)

For any later Hawks the rear plates are all too shallow (both kits) the longer fillet is also wrong because it curves to match the old fuselage profile.

I bought the Thunderbirds part before I'd really looked into what was needed to correct the rear end for later Hawks, it's very nicely moulded and looks accurate and will be used on my Red Arrows boxing as I've already splashed out on it, but for this build I intend to scratch build the modification using the Thunderbirds part as a reference. I don't think it will be difficult and shouldn't involve much more than fairing in a couple of bits of 1mm/40thou plastic card. Watch this space.....

• Like 1

And there was me thinking this was going to be a straightforward build 🤣.

I’ll certainly keep watching.  In the meantime it looks as though I’d better gather some prototype photos together.

Cheers

• Like 1

And we're off! Looks like I might also sneek in the first progress photo's as well.

Today I have been mostly cutting out parts, cleaning them up and test fitting. Most parts appear to be quite a good fit, but I wasn't too happy with the ejection seats. The moulded detail on the parts is very good, but test fitting the two sides to the centre seat section revealsed they "fitted where they touched" and resulted in an overly wide seat. I ended up cutting the sides int two separate parts across the horizontal that separates the lower side piece from the headbox side piece. The seat squabs were reduced in width a bit and the moulded on belts removed, and the inside of the lower side pieces was also thinned a bit as well. The headbox sides were glued in place, then the lower seat sides.

20201031-154053.jpg

As moulded on the left, and modified on the right (still needs some more cleaning up, filling and smoothing, and belts etc adding

By contrast, the rest of the cockpit tub fits together very well and is definitely good enough for a model with the canopy closed. The side consoles are a little on the narrow side though, as a result of the over wide seats.

Here it all is just clipped together

20201031-160434.jpg

And most of the rest of the parts prepped up before I stopped work for the afternoon

20201031-165133.jpg

• Like 3

I've also found the seats required an bit of judicious trimming and sanding, but they're coming together nicely now. They should look good with a little detailing and weathering.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

On thing I dislike about all the Hawk kits I've got is the lack of depth to the main wheel wells, this is particularly bad on this Revell kit as they've gone out of their way to make the sections where the main wheels sit as shallow as possible, and then add some nice plumbing detail to the wells. It's particuarly galling as there's loads of room in the fuselage for the correct depth wells (or at least a close approximation of them, the roof of the wheel bay is a continuation of the upper wing skin through the fuselage).

I've decided to have a go at correcting this, the firts task was to edge the upper surface of the wheel wells with 1mm square plastic strip, this needed rounding slightly at the outboard ends to fit the profile of the bay upper surfaces. This can be seen in the photo below, the wings are just taped together. The fuselage is also taped up with the cockpit tub in place to allow marking of it's position for addition of some sidewall detail. Also shown are the cockpit coamings which have been thinned out quite a bit above the instrument panels.

20201101-165419.jpg

Back to the undercarriage bays, each corner of the mainwheel bay was drilled through from the top, then the edges scored through with a P cutter, and the sides squared up and smoothed out with a file. The inboard end of the leg bay was then carved flush with the rest of the upper surface and smoothed off. Kit bay on the left, modified on the right.

20201109-143511.jpg

And now here's both of them done with strips of card down the inboard side to thicken them up, the plan is for them to butt join in the middle and a thick, single piece roof added. This will then be separated from the two upper wing surfaces and the internals detailed before I take a mould off it and make a few castings to simplify future Hawk builds.

20201109-152246.jpg

• Like 3

This afternoon I've been going boz-eyed detailing the main undercarriage bays. The roof was cut from a sheet of 1mm plastic card using a template I made from a strip of masking tape stuck over the sides and run round with a pencil. This was glued in place and clamped up with the wing halves taped together  last night. The wing upper halves were then separated from the centre section, which was then simply detailed with lengths of microstrip, copper wire, punched discs of plastic paper, and blocks of plastic carved, filed, sanded and drilled to shape. The photo's in the walk round section were used as references for detail, shapes and sizes, and as usual when doing this sort of scratch building work the parts were made to size, test fitted and then re-made 50% smaller!

Here's the wheel well master as completed

20201111-183621.jpg

And taped roughly in position in the wing

20201111-183748.jpg

• Like 2

I unwittingly made a rod for my own back with the choice of scheme - whilst looking for reference photo's of XX154 I came across one of those 360 degree pan-able shots of the cockpit on the BDAC facebook page, this showed a load of extra instrumentation in place of the gunsights and on top of both instrument panel coamings, so today I've been trying to replicate this with bits of microstrip, rod, and after an extensive search of the model room some Reheat instrument dials. Quite happy with the results, but not looking forward to wiring them all up!

20201113-171443.jpg

20201113-171424.jpg

20201113-171521.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Angus Tura said:

These are looking very good, Dave. Reheat bezels are a bit of a collector's item these day,

Alan

Cheers Alan. I broke the seal on two packs of Reheat bezels for this - the sacrifices I make for you and Britmodeller Group Builds!  :violin: 🤣