Do17F Decals

Adam Poultney

So about a year ago I built an old Airfix Do17F, but never finished it as the decals just fell apart completely. 

This is the scheme I was doing:
e585870b91f811181cd3f65f6ceba40f.jpg
I don’t know much about Luftwaffe markings, what sized letters would I need and where could I get them? I’ve found a source for the crosses so that’s sorted if I can just find the letters of the right size and style.

A warning, I am no Luftwaffe camouflage expert.  The trouble is the painting guide says 1937 but the codes are from 1939 and the use of brown was phased out in 1938, though clearly not all aircraft were repainted.  The machine carries the G2 codes assigned to Aufklärungsgruppe (F) 124 in mid 1939, staffel colour white, before that the codes were  40+<letter>11.  There are plenty of web sites offering their ideas on the font, I suggest measuring the size of the cross and letters in the painting guide to determine the letter size needed for the crosses you intend to use.

Font ideas https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/59715-luftwaffe-number-font/

Unit Codes, Anhang I and III options at http://www.luftarchiv.de/

Unit History https://www.ww2.dk/air/recon/aufkl124.htm

As Geoffrey says, this is the earlier scheme, certainly relevant to 1937, and the aircraft has not been repainted upon the introduction of the more familiar greens.  The correct colours, if you are interested, are RLM 61, 62, 63 and the blue 65 underneath.  Only the underneath colour was retained in the new system.

The size and shape of the crosses may also help tie down the actual date concerned, most wartime examples having wider white areas.  This suggests a earliest date of 1939, but it's unlikely that such an elderly variant would stay on the unit long after that.

I will have a look in my spares box,..... but I don`t have many Luftwaffe markings I`m afraid.

I`ve attached these in case they are of interest,...... Axis Sally,.... a captured early Do 17E-2, (Wk. Nr. 2095), shipped to the USA, where it was designated USA FE-2000, later T2-2000. It was named Axis Sally. This aircraft was scrapped in Sep 1946;

Dornier-Do-17-E-2-Wk-Nr-2095-shipped-to-

Dornier-17-E2-WNr-3957-in-American-hands

USAAF-Captured-Dornier-Do-17-E-2-FE-2000

There is this interesting option too,........a Do17F in an all black finish,...... found in Belgium I believe,......

do17f-mellbroek-nf-unit-run-around.jpg

it is a decal option on the RS Models kit;

do-17f-rs-models.jpg

Maybe RS Models could sell you a sheet from one of their kits?

If I find the decals I will post on here,..... there is a slim possibility! Do Hannants do Luftwaffe codes?

Cheers

Tony 

Edited by tonyot

Luftwaffe Codes, Units and Markings by Barry Rosch specifically mentions a Do17F-1 code G2+BH as an example of an Aufklärungsgruppe (F) 124 aircraft, so there is a good chance a photograph of it exists, though it could be a loss report as the source. 

An OOB I have for the Luftwaffe in September 1939 indicates Do17F were still present in some of the long range reconnaissance units, plus Stab/KG77 given KG77 was still flying Do17E at the time.

2 hours ago, tonyot said:

it is a decal option on the RS Models kit;

do-17f-rs-models.jpg

Maybe RS Models could sell you a sheet from one of their kits?

I did consider buying the RS Models Do17F kit for the decals. Plus is that I get another Do17F and I love Do17Fs. Downside is none of the schemes are suitable. The camouflage patterns are different. Both similar schemes in the RS Models kit have the green in the big centre section of the camouflage above the wings whereas my model has that as brown.

One of the schemes in a Do17E box they do is suitable.... except my model is of a Do17F.

The model is already painted just decals need doing, so don't really want to repaint it or dig out the Do17E parts and do some surgery to the kit...

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7sabf9hvnJ/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

2 hours ago, tonyot said:

I`ve attached these in case they are of interest,...... Axis Sally,.... a captured early Do 17E-2, (Wk. Nr. 2095), shipped to the USA, where it was designated USA FE-2000, later T2-2000. It was named Axis Sally. This aircraft was scrapped in Sep 1946;

Dornier-Do-17-E-2-Wk-Nr-2095-shipped-to-

Dornier-17-E2-WNr-3957-in-American-hands

USAAF-Captured-Dornier-Do-17-E-2-FE-2000

Absolutely criminal considering no intact Do17 survives, just an unrestorable wreck now at Cosford. To think the best looking variant survived the war and then got scrapped.....

I'd love a time machine to go aquire some lost types.

• Like 1

Hello

Axis Sally was actually one of the Croat puppet state NDH aircraft, which had been flown to southern Italy by defectors.

Adam, I am away from my computer at the moment, but I had drawn codes for 3Z+FR, supposedly one of two Dorniers, shot down early in the morning of 1st September 1939 by Władysław Gnys. Gnys actually claimed both planes only as damaged, a correct assassment as it turned out (check this link). If you want to print them at home, send me a PM with your e-mail and I will send you codes and Werk Nummer drawings in 1/72. You will have to source out white F yourself, though.

Or I can post codes here, if anyone else is interested. Cheers

Jure

P.S.: Here it is:

FkshJWa.jpg

It is scaled for printing with 300 dpi settings. It may needs some scale adjustments, depending on one's printer settings. In 1/72, its length should be 39,5 mm. Again, one has to find or make white F letter and also cut a small white film square to provide background of the first aid compartment red cross sign on a port side of a fuselage.

On photos, found on the link above, Werk Nummer can be seen on rudder's inner surface only. Also, there is no visible yellow ring around the nose of the aircraft nor the unit's badge. Also, it is difficult to tell whether individual letter is repeated on the upper or the lower wing surfaces. I am leaning towards its absence.

Edited by Jure Miljevic
P.S. added